Proposal: Edm - Car - NYI 3-Way

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Was trying to think of a way for the three teams to maybe make some noise and solve some holes that are showing.

Edm lost Sekera and also needs wing scoring
NYI still hoping to find that #2 Center
Carolina continues to add solid assets while finding a Skinner replacement

This assumes a re-signed Anders Lee.

Edmonton gets:

A signed Anders Lee from the Isles
Justin Faulk from Carolina

Islanders get:

Leon Draisaitl from Edmonton
Valentin Zykov from Carolina

Carolina gets:

Josh Bailey
Kiefer Bellows
Edmonton's 2nd
Their choice of Mitchell Vande Sompel or David Quenneville from the Isles

Edmonton is able to slot RNH into their #2C and McDavid gets a superior goal scorer in front of the net who should replicate his 40 goals, as well as a Top 4 defenseman who can move the puck.

The Islanders get to pair Barzal and Draisaitl as their long term #1 and #1A centers. They also get Bellows' replacement in Zykov. If Carolina does not feel like swapping Bellows and Zykov then fine, just take them out of the trade and it basically means Faulk for Bailey, Edm 2nd and the defense prospect.

Carolina gets an All Star winger in Bailey who is on a team-friendly contract with the ability to play with anyone, a solid prospect on D and a possibly high 2nd in a great draft for Faulk.

Any thoughts?

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
Islanders get royally screwed in this deal. No way theyd give up Bailey, Bellows and Lee in this trade

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Okay one respondent says the Hurricanes get screwed and one says the Isles get screwed . . . I might be on to something good!

:laugh:

Islanders get royally screwed in this deal. No way theyd give up Bailey, Bellows and Lee in this trade

Bellows only goes if Zykov is coming back. Zykov led the AHL is goal scoring last year, he's not some throw-in. Had 7 points in 10 games in his first taste at the end of the NHL year.

Oilers trade Draisaitl and a 2nd for Faulk and Lee.
Yikes.

A SIGNED Lee, who put up 40 goals last year. That's not unproductive.

So now Edmonton ALSO gets screwed!

Not all of you can be right!

Last edited by a moderator:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
my initial thought was this is bad for Edmonton but after reading other posters maybe it is bad for all 3?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Okay one respondent says the Hurricanes get screwed and one says the Isles get screwed . . . I might be on to something good!

More likely, it's just that bad.

Oilers aren't trading Draisaitl and a 2nd for Faulk and Lee. That's terrible for them.
Islanders get the best player in the deal, by far.
Canes is ok, even though I'm not a huge bailey fan.

And fans always like to have a player "signed" as part of a trade, but it rarely, if ever happens.

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
Bellows is in the Islanders future plans. If Lous gonna trade Bailey and Lee, its gonna be part of a rebuild.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
my initial thought was this is bad for Edmonton but after reading other posters maybe it is bad for all 3?

Which is basically impossible if you are trading quality players. It DOES fit the needs of the teams as they stand now.

Reactions: Troy

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don’t think anyone does this.

Isles fans think Lee is their next captain.

Edmonton fans aren’t giving up Draisaitl for anything less than ‘scrape him from our cold dead hands’ prices and this is not it.

Carolina I think does the best of the three but they don’t want to give up Zykov and probably don’t see the point in buying high on Bailey.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Bellows is in the Islanders future plans. If Lous gonna trade Bailey and Lee, its gonna be part of a rebuild.

Bellows only goes IF Zykov is coming back. Otherwise it's Lee, Bailey and the prospect defenseman for Draisaitl.

CanadianSniper

Nov 11, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
A SIGNED Lee, who put up 40 goals last year. That's not unproductive.

So now Edmonton ALSO gets screwed!

Not all of you can be right!

I'd be surprised if Lee hits 40 again, especially without Tavares, and it doesnt make him worth Draisaitl even with Faulk.
And yes it is possible that you made a trade that is bad for everyone involved.

Reactions: biturbo19

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Weirdly I think all three teams walk away worse from this. Isles do the best in the long run I suppose, but that's still a huge price to pay anyways. No chance Carolina bites, and it would depend if Lou lets Garth call up Chia.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I'd be surprised if Lee hits 40 again, especially without Tavares, and it doesnt make him worth Draisaitl even with Faulk.
And yes it is possible that you made a trade that is bad for everyone involved.

Why wouldn't he hit 40 goals with McDavid? He might do even better.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I'll go against the grain in this thread and say it isn't bad. Way too many moving pieces to realistically happen, but I don't think the value's terrible.

Isles give up a lot to get Drai (and Zykov) but I'd consider it. Edmonton has to give up Drai but gets back a top4 RHD who's a PPQB (something I'm lead to believe they need) and a winger I think would be perfect for McDavid, Carolina IMO does the best, giving up Faulk and Zykov for a top-line winger, very good wing prospect, 2nd, and decent D prospect. Problem for them IMO is isn't their need a C?

tl;dr - Never will happen but IMO value isn't bad.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'll go against the grain in this thread and say it isn't bad. Way too many moving pieces to realistically happen, but I don't think the value's terrible.

Isles give up a lot to get Drai (and Zykov) but I'd consider it. Edmonton has to give up Drai but gets back a top4 RHD who's a PPQB (something I'm lead to believe they need) and a winger I think would be perfect for McDavid, Carolina IMO does the best, giving up Faulk and Zykov for a top-line winger, very good wing prospect, 2nd, and decent D prospect. Problem for them IMO is isn't their need a C?

tl;dr - Never will happen but IMO value isn't bad.

Well... yeah. Your team gets the best player in the deal and gives up quantity for quality. If Edmonton was giving up Puljujarvi, McLeod, RNH and St Louis’ choice of Jones or Bear for Tarasenko and Dunn I wouldn’t think we were doing too bad either.

Yeah you give up a bunch of stuff, but your team today is better off. I don’t think Edmonton or Carolina can say the same.

This ‘perfect winger for McDavid’ stuff is bunk. He’d put up 80 points cantering two metal folding chairs with sticks tied to them. He doesn’t need the help.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
NYI wins to Edmonton and Carolina’s extreme detriment. Bailey and picks/prospects fills zero needs for the Canes. Edmonton isn’t trading Draisaitl for a 2nd pairing D and a 2nd line W.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Well... yeah. Your team gets the best player in the deal and gives up quantity for quality. If Edmonton was giving up Puljujarvi, McLeod, Yeah you give up a bunch of stuff, but your team today is better off. I don’t think Edmonton or Carolina can say the same.

This ‘perfect winger for McDavid’ stuff is bunk. He’d put up 80 points cantering two metal folding chairs with sticks tied to them. He doesn’t need the help.

We give up an All Star participant AND a 40-goal scorer and those are QUANTITY??? How do you say something like that?

And NO ONE claimed McDavid needed the help. We're saying Lee could score EVEN MORE goals playing with McDavid than Tavares!

Holy smoke! Chill out.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How is EDM the clear winner here? They give up the best player who is only 22 years old and plays a premium position for a 26 year old defenseman who isn't great defensively and is a UFA in 2 years; and a soon to be 29 year old winger who will cost a FORTUNE to sign and will require a very long term deal when he does sign.

This would come back to bite Chia so hard that it would be the brunt of jokes on HF years down the road.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Honestly from outside I think it's pretty close to fair value wise but don't think anyone would do it.

Canes have talked about adding size/toughness/intangibles and Zykov could bring that as well as secondary offense and buying high on Bailey is risky.

Edmonton actually makes out pretty good imo and Lee would be a fantastic linemate for McJesus but the 1-2 punch with Draisaitl for the next decade plus has too much potential for greatness, not to mention I imagine a resigned Lee gets roughly 6.5 so cap quickly becomes an issue again.

I think Islanders do really well in this trade depending on Bailey's future performance but just weird timing for them I'd say

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad