Confirmed with Link: Edler suspended for 2 games (Post #56)

RezChi

Feb 24, 2013
Vancouver
As an organization we respect the NHL and its process for supplemental discipline. While we may not agree with this ruling, we will move forward and prepare for our important game tomorrow in Los Angeles. We do not intend to comment further on this matter.

Michael D. Gillis
Well since when does he ever have more further comments T___T

cc

Feb 28, 2002
due to this ruling, I can see quite a few goalies running pick plays and interference on puck pursuers.

Has anybody from his former teams been suspended from anything during his tenure? Including Blues, Detroit and New York?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
due to this ruling, I can see quite a few goalies running pick plays and interference on puck pursuers.
Well we all know you're allowed to punch a goalie in the head - so as long as you keep your gloves on.;)

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver

Has anybody from his former teams been suspended from anything during his tenure? Including Blues, Detroit and New York?

brendan smith
chris stewart
ian cole
kyle quincey
carl hagelin

there is no bias or favoritism from the league

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I will not comment on the suspension as I don't really care as much as some it seems, Edler out two games will not cost us much I hope...

But man who the f wrote the rule book, these rules a just poorly written. It seems like they have worded it to be as grey as possible. If the rest of the rule book is written like that then there is the problem with officiating, know where in that rule dose it say in black and white what you can and cannot do.

Also IMO which is very limited, I think Edler dose "make a reasonable effort to avoid such contact" by skating along the boards like he did. it is a play that happens a lot goalie gets puck behind the net, player skates close to boards trying to stop puck being played along boards by goalie. In this instance I think the goalie is just as responsible to get away from the boards as we know that is how it will play out. I know its not in the rules but is seems nothing black and white is.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Given the space between the back of the net and the boards, and the size of goalies and their equipment, how the Hell do you not make contact with a goalie?

Suspensions like this don't bother me as as much as the next time a goalie gets hit (tonight? Saturday night?) and there's no suspension.

Suspensions should set a precedent and be a deterrent to similar actions around the league, but rarely are such repeated actions treated in the same way as the initial suspension...

JA

Thought I would highlight again why I don't think it's the goaltender's fault for being too close to the boards.

I'm not sure if one can blame the goaltender for actually playing the puck behind the net. Often, the puck rings around the back boards and the goaltender has to place his stick blade right next to the boards to stop the puck. Should Smith be at fault for having his body too close to the boards? When goaltenders stop dump-ins by the opposing team, they are still right next to the boards behind their own net. He had every reason to want to play the puck, and was in the same position most would be to play it.

Here's Smith playing the puck a few years ago as many would do. Notice the space between is between the goaltender and the net, not the goaltender and the boards:

0:28:

The Rangers player, Dubinsky, in this case, stops. He could have curled along with the opposing player but instead respects Smith's positioning and stops. The Lightning player skates between the large space between Smith and the net. This is with both of them jostling for position as well. Edler misplayed it despite having an incredible amount of time to react and actually turning in towards Smith.

Cory Schneider here plays the puck at the boards. The space is between the goaltender and the net:

If the goaltender has left the boards already and provided a space, it is because he is returning to the crease. When the goaltender is playing the puck at the back boards, which Smith clearly was, the space is between the goaltender and the net.

Here is one such play you may be referring to:

2:15 -- Cory playing the puck. He has already played the puck before the Hawks player arrives, thus giving him space at the boards as Cory returns to the crease. Had the Hawks player been closer when Schneider was playing the puck, his lane would have between between the goaltender and the net. This is a case of nobody being around when Cory plays the puck, which is often the case in dump-in scenarios. The space between him and the boards opens up because Stalberg is late to the puck:

When the goaltender is in the midst of playing the puck, he is naturally at the back boards because that is where the puck is going. Edler could either have stopped as Dubinsky did or go between the goaltender and the net as Lundin and Morrison did. He was watching Smith the entire time and decided to skate right into him.

When the goaltender plays the puck behind the net, he is going to be at the boards. Here's a Hockey Night in Canada segment with guest coach Marty Turco:

Last edited by a moderator:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Thought I would highlight again why I don't think it's the goaltender's fault for being too close to the boards.

When the goaltender plays the puck behind the net, he is going to be at the boards. Here's a Hockey Night in Canada segment with guest coach Marty Turco:

There is obviously not a rule, that to me is the problem, I think it could work if they made the rule like this.

A player cannot "Check" the goalie even when behind the net, However if the goalie chooses to leave the crease to play the puck behind the net then he must leave room for the opposition player to pass by along the boards. If there is not enough room for the opposition player to pass buy then contact will be considered Incidental.

This puts the responsibility on both goalies and opposition to not make contact, and tells players what is acceptable, as the rules are written now, it is up for interpretation, and that can change from player to player ref to ref. you have written your interpretation, and that is cool. I say clean the rule book up to mean something concrete

I also do not like having a player in a contact sport that is both untouchable and not responsible for where he is.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I can't believe some people are actually trying to defend Shanahan. He is all over the map with his decisions.. terrible.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Guys... he hit him on purpose, knew what he was doing the whole time. It was a stupid play and Im ok with the suspension. I was sitting there thinking wtf when he did it. Made no sense.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Canucks have a reputation to live up to right NHL. Since they were deemed dirty before but had no suspensions it didn't really fit. Now they have some.

Probably the funniest explanations ever to boot.

Nah, league decided that they might as well go along wiht the idiots and started handing out BS suspensions.

Whatever. 2 games. Hope smith misses at least 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad