Confirmed with Link: Edler suspended for 2 games (Post #56)

StringerBell

I think I'll make a NHL discipline incompetency video.

attachment.php

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Don't agree with the Edler suspension, but there's a video on NHL.com explaining the Nash non-suspension and it actually makes sense. They have an angle where they show that he first hits him in the back of the shoulder and his nameplate, rather than the head.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Guys... he hit him on purpose, knew what he was doing the whole time. It was a stupid play and Im ok with the suspension. I was sitting there thinking wtf when he did it. Made no sense.

Hey bud, thanks for letting me know what I saw. From now on can you just tell me what is happening in the game I'm watching and in my life as well whenever there is some grey area. That would make me having to make decisions for myself so much easier - knowing that you have the overarching objective say on things. What do I owe you for being my decision making guy? Where have you been all my life?
:sarcasm::shakehead

Of course there is the other possibility that you know Edler personally and he confided in you about his collision with Smith.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Meh. Stupid call but unsurprising. Shouldn't have gotten the hearing even. 5 minutes was plenty.

Edler could use the rest and the motivation. Nucks will be fine.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
There certainly needs to be a rule to prevent contact from occurring between the goaltender and the opposing skater. Goaltenders will struggle handling pucks, however, if they try to hesitantly reach it along the boards; that could cause more chaos than one might expect, as players would feel entitled to run over the goaltender if he is along the boards. It's only natural for them to be against the boards to stop the puck.

I think, if a rule were to be implemented, the trapezoid should be treated much like the goal crease is, but at the same time also like the no-play areas. If the goaltender enters the trapezoid before any opposing player crosses the goal line, players entering the trapezoid from above the goal line should have to slow down and try to avoid initiating contact with the goaltender behind the net; instead of skating around him, they would have to fish for the puck around him. This should emulate puck battles along the boards. If the skater initiates contact, he should receive a penalty. If an opposing player is already below the goal line while the goalie is still in the crease, however, the goaltender should not be allowed to enter the trapezoid; if he does, he should be penalized until all opposing players leave the area behind the goal line. It would be about who is behind the net first.

That's how I think contact could be minimized.

I have never played the game so any rule suggestions I make up should be taken with a grain of salt...

You have suggested a good Idea, I myself would think the blue line would be better, If we use the Edler hit, he is only about a meter from the goal line when Smith enters the trapezoid (assuming back skate since his front skate was in the whole time)

I just think if you allow the goalie to make that play and be too "protected" It would occur too often, goalies would cheat off of the new rule. It would also be safer for the goalie to be discouraged to make that play unless the shoot in was from outside the blue line.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Meh. Stupid call but unsurprising. Shouldn't have gotten the hearing even. 5 minutes was plenty.

Edler could use the rest and the motivation. Nucks will be fine.

I think the problem with the nhl right now is that anything that is assessed a 5 min major is pretty much getting a suspension right now. You know what I mean? There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between getting 5 mins and a suspension now. There has to be a clear line drawn btw. 5 mins being acceptable for certain acts and not having to suspend on top of it.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
I have never played the game so any rule suggestions I make up should be taken with a grain of salt...

You have suggested a good Idea, I myself would think the blue line would be better, If we use the Edler hit, he is only about a meter from the goal line when Smith enters the trapezoid (assuming back skate since his front skate was in the whole time)

I just think if you allow the goalie to make that play and be too "protected" It would occur too often, goalies would cheat off of the new rule. It would also be safer for the goalie to be discouraged to make that play unless the shoot in was from outside the blue line.

Or the NHL could just remove the stupid trapezoid and ban goalies from playing the puck below the goal line.

So long as netminders play the puck behind the net, there will be goalies like Smith who are given an inch and take a mile. They abuse the special protection they are afforded when they begin purposely interfering with the opposing skaters' ability to pursue the puck. And as long as this is permitted, there will be times when a player decides that enough is enough and lays into a goalie.

JA

A bit of a typo in my last post. That should say:

If an opposing player is already below the goal line while the goalie is still in the crease, however, the goaltender should not be allowed to enter the trapezoid until all opposing players leave the area behind the goal line; if he does enter before all players have cleared the area behind the goal line, he should be penalized.

You knew what I meant, though. I think if both the goaltender and the opposing player were to skate behind the goal line at the same time, the official should use discretion but lean towards penalizing the goaltender, thus forcing him to stay in his net unless the opposition is at least a few meters away from the blue line. Discretion is already used in such cases as icing in terms of shoot-ins from center (with generally a bit of leeway given). In this case, Smith was moving behind the net while Edler was still at the faceoff dot. By the time he was fully behind the net, Edler was still in front of the goal line. Edler had time to react, and if this rule were in place, he would have likely stopped. Any closer, and Smith would receive a penalty.

Generally, I think the goaltender would have to begin moving behind the net before the opposing player reaches the faceoff dot. If he does, the forechecker would have to slow down. Using the blue line instead would be much too far and would restrict goaltenders on nearly all dump-ins.

I don't think goaltenders would try to abuse the rule, as the opposition would be just as likely to strip the puck away from them and take advantage of an empty net. All it would do is prevent players from running through the trapezoid while the goaltender is behind the net, promoting stickwork rather than crashing into the goalie. If players are too close to the goal line, the goalie would not be able to leave his net and risk incidental contact.

Or the NHL could just remove the stupid trapezoid and ban goalies from playing the puck below the goal line.

So long as netminders play the puck behind the net, there will be goalies like Smith who are given an inch and take a mile. They abuse the special protection they are afforded when they begin purposely interfering with the opposing skaters' ability to pursue the puck. And as long as this is permitted, there will be times when a player decides that enough is enough and lays into a goalie.

A goaltender's puckhandling ability is a skill. It would be a shame to lose that entirely. All the league needs is to implement a rule so that goaltenders know when it is appropriate to play the puck and to restrict them in dangerous situations. Skaters, meanwhile, need to know when to allow goaltenders to play the puck, though the suggestion I made does not prevent them from stickchecking the goaltender, from fighting for it, or from taking it away from him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
A goaltender's puckhandling ability is a skill. It would be a shame to lose that entirely. All the league needs is to implement a rule so that goaltenders know when it is appropriate to play the puck and to restrict them in dangerous situations. Skaters, meanwhile, need to know when to allow goaltenders to play the puck, though the suggestion I made does not prevent them from stickchecking the goaltender, fighting for it, or taking it away from him.

Your intent is good, but I disagree with your solution.

There are already too many rules and geometric shapes cluttering up the game and ice.

The other option is to respect the time honoured tradition of bulldozing goalies who think they can impede skaters with impunity despite what the rulebook says. Sometimes unwritten rules are more important than what the NHL puts down on paper.

Besides, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thoroughly enjoyed watching Edler bump into Smith and the resulting brou-ha-ha. I hope Smith isn't hurt, but he pretty much got what was coming to him. That was the umpteenth time he had pulled that stunt that game.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Why not go whole hog? Rob Blake is in the DoPS, Edler out for games against LA and Colorado...coincidence? Haha, don't overreact or anything, I'm just trying to be a good Canucks fan here and throw out some conspiracy theories. Why, "as the video shows," is there only one angle, the one that looks by far the worst, the one where you can't see where Edler actually struck Smith but only see his head snapping back, why is that the only angle they use when other angles were available? Is it because this is all just propaganda? Is the DoPS publishing Pravda here or are they, as their name indicates, just a bunch of dopes? I think we all know the answer to that one!

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
A bit of a typo in my last post. That should say:

You knew what I meant, though. I think if both the goaltender and the opposing player were to skate behind the goal line at the same time, the official should use discretion but lean towards penalizing the goaltender, thus forcing him to stay in his net unless the opposition is at least a few meters away from the blue line. Discretion is already used in such cases as icing in terms of shoot-ins from center (with generally a bit of leeway given). In this case, Smith was moving behind the net while Edler was still at the faceoff dot. By the time he was fully behind the net, Edler was still in front of the goal line. Edler had time to react, and if this rule were in place, he would have likely stopped. Any closer, and Smith would receive a penalty.

Generally, I think the goaltender would have to begin moving behind the net before the opposing player reaches the faceoff dot. If he does, the forechecker would have to slow down. Using the blue line instead would be much too far and would restrict goaltenders on nearly all dump-ins.

I don't think goaltenders would try to abuse the rule, as the opposition would be just as likely to strip the puck away from them and take advantage of an empty net. All it would do is prevent players from running through the trapezoid while the goaltender is behind the net, promoting stickwork rather than crashing into the goalie. If players are too close to the goal line, the goalie would not be able to leave his net and risk incidental contact.

A goaltender's puckhandling ability is a skill. It would be a shame to lose that entirely. All the league needs is to implement a rule so that goaltenders know when it is appropriate to play the puck and to restrict them in dangerous situations. Skaters, meanwhile, need to know when to allow goaltenders to play the puck, though the suggestion I made does not prevent them from stickchecking the goaltender, fighting for it, or taking it away from him.

Oh yea that clears it up, I thought you were talking about was using the goal line as a first In gets the right to play the puck.

I still don't think that when a team has possession of the puck in the opposition zone and they shoot the puck (like in the Edler/Smith play) that the Goalie should be allowed to go behind the net to get the puck, using the boards to shield against players

Would be simpler for me if the shoot in was behind the blue line, use the rule you suggest, (should be no need for discretion then, which takes ref interpretation away and there for reduces human error) and if a team is in the O zone the goalie is not allowed in the trapaziod.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

There are already too many rules and geometric shapes cluttering up the game and ice.

The other option is to respect the time honoured tradition of bulldozing goalies who think they can impede skaters with impunity despite what the rulebook says. Sometimes unwritten rules are more important than what the NHL puts down on paper.

Besides, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thoroughly enjoyed watching Edler bump into Smith and the resulting brou-ha-ha. I hope Smith isn't hurt, but he pretty much got what was coming to him. That was the umpteenth time he had pulled that stunt that game.

You mean if he hurt himself jumping backwards onto the ice :sarcasm:

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
How can any rational person look at that play and not see Edler skating with his head up many feet away from Smith and then he skates towards him, watching him the entire time, and runs into him... I don't see how anyone can debate that. Unless they're just making excuses because he's our guy.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
How can any rational person look at that play and not see Edler skating with his head up many feet away from Smith and then he skates towards him, watching him the entire time, and runs into him... I don't see how anyone can debate that. Unless they're just making excuses because he's our guy.

People are simply commending Edler for successfully executing one of the most exciting plays in hockey.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
REally makes you wonder what goes behind closed doors, I can understand Edler getting suspended.. but Nash nothing/no hearing? When the Rangers are in a dogfight to just get into the playoffs.. This has potential to effect the standings in the East. Shanahan is a bigger joke than Campbell, sets precedents then takes two steps back immediately with one decision.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Oh enough already.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

considering Edler was punished for injuring Smith, I hope he is because it looks farcical if they miraculously recover after a suspension is handed down.

Coyotes fans are sayin he might have concussion do that might explain the 2 games. Or possible whiplash from spinning around so fast.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Don't agree with the Edler suspension, but there's a video on NHL.com explaining the Nash non-suspension and it actually makes sense. They have an angle where they show that he first hits him in the back of the shoulder and his nameplate, rather than the head.

I was actually going over that play just before finding about about Edler's suspension. You can make a justification case given Kopecky turns both abrupt and awkward, making it difficult for Nash to stop now that he's committed. My argument though is the hit remains reckless and if they are willing to suspend Edler for Smith being a diving putz, then Nash should have got at least a game.

It certainly is telling when virtually the entire main board is unanimous in saying this suspension was nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad