Confirmed with Link: Edler suspended for 2 games (Post #56)

Steve Bennett*

I just saw the clip of the Nash attack, and then this one. Really, in one day the nhl rules that Nash does not even warrant a disciplinary hearing while Edler gets two games? That is whack, I really cannot understand that logic. I wonder if someone did a poll of this in the main boards what people would think was a worse hit. I'm really at a loss for words as to the ruling on these two hits. I don't even think Edler's was worth 5 minutes, for real...

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
LOL!

I really have no idea what the criteria is for anything at any time for a suspension. Everything what I thought the rules were are being completely undone by every decision which is completely contradictory to the other.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I just saw the clip of the Nash attack, and then this one. Really, in one day the nhl rules that Nash does not even warrant a disciplinary hearing while Edler gets two games? That is whack, I really cannot understand that logic. I wonder if someone did a poll of this in the main boards what people would think was a worse hit. I'm really at a loss for words as to the ruling on these two hits. I don't even think Edler's was worth 5 minutes, for real...

It's incredible how even though it involves a Canucks player, most of the main board can actually see through the nonsense. It's that bad of a decision.

Shoulder check a goalie = suspension
Cross check grinder, blindside, near the head = no penalty

wtf?

Although we could see the BS coming from the Shaw suspension.

Steve Bennett*

It's incredible how even though it involves a Canucks player, most of the main board can actually see through the nonsense. It's that bad of a decision.

Shoulder check a goalie = suspension
Cross check grinder, blindside, near the head = no penalty

wtf?

Although we could see the BS coming from the Shaw suspension.

I can't understand the decision. Am I being naive to say that I think it would be ridiculous for the league to have a bias against Vancouver? I can't really think that would make any sense at all, but these are two ridiculous calls on the same day. Blatantly backwards, like I'm expecting Shanahan to post another video tonight saying "Just kidding, Edler gets nothing and Nash handed a 5 game suspension.... Almost had ya there!!"...

Mind you when Hansen got a game for reaching for the puck that kind of blew away the consistency legitimacy of the league, so maybe they do hate the Canucks! ;)

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Man Shanahan is such an idiot. Edler did not aim for his head we stick up for our team and this BS happens. Another team does some crap and what happens? they get away with it. Example Rick Nash unbelievable Shanahan must have suffered some brain trauma or something.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Seriously? Its pretty easy to predict the outcomes if you take into account how much of a star the player is in the leagues eyes and how much they favour the team.

If you really don't think there's any corruption you are very, very naive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807
yeah... i think you've got your tinfoil hat on too tight. name some players that should have been suspended but weren't.

SpecialK139

Bo Hor-fat
Aug 8, 2012
Burnaby
yeah... i think you've got your tinfoil hat on too tight. name some players that should have been suspended but weren't.

Malkin destroying Willie Mitchell in 2010 (or was it 2009?) comes to my mind first. Star player, league darlings, blatantly dirty play (even by the standards at the time it wasn't great)

Not a single eyebrow was raised for nearly ending a guy's career.

This is just make up BS for the non-call on Lucic. Furthermore, if the league would rule based on the play itself and not resulting injuries this whole thing would be a non issue. We'll see someone turned into a vegetable before we see anything resembling order in the NHL. (but I suppose that's a whole other issue...)

JA

Man Shanahan is such an idiot. Edler did not aim for his head we stick up for our team and this BS happens. Another team does some crap and what happens? they get away with it. Example Rick Nash unbelievable Shanahan must have suffered some brain trauma or something.

I disagree with Shanahan's reasoning that injuries and contact with the head should factor into the decision. I also agree with most posters here that his rulings have been inconsistent; I feel Nash should have been suspended, though in my opinion this is a scenario in which he failed to assess the Nash incident properly but made a reasonable call here. Inconsistency is what plagues the NHL's decision-making about supplemental discipline.

There is obviously not a rule, that to me is the problem, I think it could work if they made the rule like this.

A player cannot "Check" the goalie even when behind the net, However if the goalie chooses to leave the crease to play the puck behind the net then he must leave room for the opposition player to pass by along the boards. If there is not enough room for the opposition player to pass buy then contact will be considered Incidental.

This puts the responsibility on both goalies and opposition to not make contact, and tells players what is acceptable, as the rules are written now, it is up for interpretation, and that can change from player to player ref to ref. you have written your interpretation, and that is cool. I say clean the rule book up to mean something concrete

I also do not like having a player in a contact sport that is both untouchable and not responsible for where he is.

There certainly needs to be a rule to prevent contact from occurring between the goaltender and the opposing skater. Goaltenders will struggle handling pucks, however, if they try to hesitantly reach it along the boards; that could cause more chaos than one might expect, as players would feel entitled to run over the goaltender if he is along the boards. It's only natural for them to be against the boards to stop the puck.

I think, if a rule were to be implemented, the trapezoid should be treated much like the goal crease is, but at the same time also like the no-play areas. If the goaltender enters the trapezoid before any opposing player crosses the goal line, players entering the trapezoid from above the goal line should have to slow down and try to avoid initiating contact with the goaltender behind the net; instead of skating around him, they would have to fish for the puck around him. This should emulate puck battles along the boards. If the skater initiates contact, he should receive a penalty. If an opposing player is already below the goal line while the goalie is still in the crease, however, the goaltender should not be allowed to enter the trapezoid until all opposing players leave the area behind the goal line; if he does enter before all players have cleared the area behind the goal line, he should be penalized. It would be about who is behind the net first.

That's how I think contact could be minimized.

Last edited by a moderator:

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Malkin destroying Willie Mitchell in 2010 (or was it 2009?) comes to my mind first. Star player, league darlings, blatantly dirty play (even by the standards at the time it wasn't great)

Not a single eyebrow was raised for nearly ending a guy's career.

This is just make up BS for the non-call on Lucic. Furthermore, if the league would rule based on the play itself and not resulting injuries this whole thing would be a non issue. We'll see someone turned into a vegetable before we see anything resembling order in the NHL. (but I suppose that's a whole other issue...)

i was talking about shanahan, not colin campbell. campbell was crap as far as i'm concerned but shanahan has been on the money for the most part

ruiner

Feb 20, 2013

Tinfoil hat? Have you even read about what is going on in Europe?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/news/9851507/How-German-police-fell-on-European-footballs-biggest-match-fixing-scandal-by-accident.html

When investigators from the organised crime task force in Bochum, Germany, began running wiretaps on a Croatian gang they hoped to find evidence of drugs and prostitution business.

Instead, they heard discussion of football matches rigged for profit on an industrial scale. Following through with a vigour seldom matched by prosecutors elsewhere in Europe, the Bochum police uncovered a network of corruption that they believe may have been responsible for fixing as many as 300 matches across Europe.

“We have evidence for 150 of these cases and the operations were run out of Singapore with bribes of up to 100,000 euros (£87,000) paid per match,†said Friedhelm Althans, a senior officer.
If you really can't think of any players that weren't suspended but should have been, then you're obviously blinded by your rose coloured glasses provided by Bettman.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
If you really can't think of any players that weren't suspended but should have been, then you're obviously blinded by your rose coloured glasses provided by Bettman.

still waiting for you to name them. and bettman has nothing to do with suspensions unless a player is appealing.

ruiner

Feb 20, 2013
still waiting for you to name them. and bettman has nothing to do with suspensions unless a player is appealing.

You think Shanahan would keep his job if he didn't follow company policy?

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with your set in stone, NHL isn't like every other large corporation views since you obviously haven't joined the real world yet.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
You think Shanahan would keep his job if he didn't follow company policy?

I'm not going to waste my time arguing with your set in stone, NHL isn't like every other large corporation views since you obviously haven't joined the real world yet.
ok so you can't name any players, gotcha. come back when you can then we can carry on this discussion

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Almost ready to bring Campbell back. Shanahan has miserably failed. Maybe too many shots to the head. Decisions are absolutely arbitrary and follow no discernible consistency. Seems to me Shanahan is basing decisions on guess work.

Complaints from players and different managements indicate that no one has idea what is going on.

ruiner

Feb 20, 2013
NHL betting counts for a little more than 1% of all bookings world wide. loosen up that tin foil hat

Some people like to say that there is no way that reffing could be influenced in any way without people knowing and that its just incompetence. Its highly unlikely any big money was riding on this game or an upcoming game, but there are other factors in play. Its pretty obvious from the inconsistency.

There have been quite a few hits to the head that haven't resulted in any discipline in the past few years since they have been cracking down. I guess you don't recall.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Some people like to say that there is no way that reffing could be influenced in any way without people knowing and that its just incompetence. Its highly unlikely any big money was riding on this game or an upcoming game, but there are other factors in play. Its pretty obvious from the inconsistency.

There have been quite a few hits to the head that haven't resulted in any discipline in the past few years since they have been cracking down. I guess you don't recall.

or, you know... because hockey is an extremely fast game, thus making it way harder to officiate.
last post on this subject from me as it is way off topic

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
However, two games is too much. What they should have done is suspend Lucic for one game at least against miller. Then they MIGHT have had precedent to give Edler two games.

The precedent was 3 games Shaw got. In Shaw's case it was was a deliberate and definitive running the goalie as he went straight up the middle with no interest in the puck or changing position. Edler at least blocked the puck, hugged the wall, but he didn't make any attempt to slow.

The precedent is set, 2 games was too much but whatever it is it is. The good news is goalies are now free to block the entire behind area. Go back and go around.

Last edited:

ruiner

Feb 20, 2013
The precedent was 3 games Shaw got. In Shaw's case it was was a deliberate and definitive running the goalie as he went straight up the middle with no interest in the puck or changing position. Edler at least blocked the puck, hugged the wall, but he didn't make any attempt to slow.

The precedent is set, 2 games was too much but whatever it is it is. The good news is goalies are now free to block the behind area.

The precedent means nothing. Rome's suspension was supposedly a precedent, 4 games in the finals for a hit that was clean but a fraction of a second late.

Next season what do we see? 1 - 2 games if they feel like it, otherwise some lame excuse and nothing.

At what is supposed to be the "highest level" of the sport, do you really think they are too incompetent to get it right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad