Confirmed with Link: Edler suspended for 2 games (Post #56)

TheSnowLeopard

Jan 8, 2013
Soviet Kanuckistan
The hit itself was obviously payback for punching Daniel in the face.

I don't like that goalies are allowed to aggressively interfere with other players' lanes that far out of the crease but regardless, Edler's "no ****s were given" hit merited a 2 minute goalie interfence or perhaps roughing penalty. It certianly wasn't charging and the fact it got a 5 minute major was already ridiculous considering Schneider had been bumped earlier in the game with no call.

A two game suspension is all out wacky world.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
why is there so much incompetence in this league? they need to start hiring professionals with a brain, not x-nhl meatheads with flawed logic or bias for or against certain teams.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I think the difference between this hit and the Nash his is that Smith left the game and could possibly be hurt. Also, contact with goalies has been sensitive since Miller, see Jordon Tootoo suspension.

JA

Go watch a hockey game and you'll see that play where a player goes behind the net where the goalie is playing it and skates by him near the boards. The goalie gives room instead of trying to actually create a pick.

Edler was clearly reaching for the puck

I'm not sure if one can blame the goaltender for actually playing the puck behind the net. Often, the puck rings around the back boards and the goaltender has to place his stick blade right next to the boards to stop the puck. Should Smith be at fault for having his body too close to the boards? When goaltenders stop dump-ins by the opposing team, they are still right next to the boards behind their own net. He had every reason to want to play the puck, and was in the same position most would be to play it.

Here's Smith playing the puck a few years ago as many would do. Notice the space between is between the goaltender and the net, not the goaltender and the boards:

0:28:

The Rangers player, Dubinsky, in this case, stops. He could have curled along with the opposing player but instead respects Smith's positioning and stops. The Lightning player skates between the large space between Smith and the net. This is with both of them jostling for position as well. Edler misplayed it despite having an incredible amount of time to react and actually turning in towards Smith.

Cory Schneider here plays the puck at the boards. The space is between the goaltender and the net:

If the goaltender has left the boards already and provided a space, it is because he is returning to the crease. When the goaltender is playing the puck at the back boards, which Smith clearly was, the space is between the goaltender and the net.

Here is one such play you may be referring to:

2:15 -- Cory playing the puck. He has already played the puck before the Hawks player arrives, thus giving him space at the boards as Cory returns to the crease. Had the Hawks player been closer when Schneider was playing the puck, his lane would have between between the goaltender and the net:

When the goaltender is in the midst of playing the puck, he is naturally at the back boards because that is where the puck is going. Edler could either have stopped as Dubinsky and Stalberg did or go between the goaltender and the net as Lundin and Morrison did. He was watching Smith the entire time and decided to skate right into him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I think the difference between this hit and the Nash his is that Smith left the game and could possibly be hurt.
How much the other player is hurt shouldn't be the determining factor on whether to suspend a guy but the intent should be.

I'll say this again, to not punish a player for a blow to the head that is illegal in the MMA......:shakehead

Shanny laughs it off by claiming Nash hit the other player in the back - is he blind?

RezChi

Feb 24, 2013
Vancouver
Edler didn't try and avoid contact? Well where the **** do you go when you're right next to the boards and the goalie's right in front of you between the net and the boards blocking the way?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Since i can't find the pgt, i seriously wished that luongo was in goal for that game. when smith was going after edler, i'm pretty sure luongo would have been over there in a heartbeat. This isn't anything against schneider. Schneider will probably be the future #1 and doesn't want to mess that up by getting injured in some stupid way. however, lu has nothing to lose and i think he'd want to beat the piss out of smith. :laugh:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
This league is so ****ing corrupt.
Nah, that would imply intelligence or at least cunning. They're just morons.

Since i can't find the pgt, i seriously wished that luongo was in goal for that game. when smith was going after edler, i'm pretty sure luongo would have been over there in a heartbeat. This isn't anything against schneider. Schneider will probably be the future #1 and doesn't want to mess that up by getting injured in some stupid way. however, lu has nothing to lose and i think he'd want to beat the piss out of smith. :laugh:
Nah, you'd want Dan Cloutier in net for that. If there was anything he excelled it was:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'm okay with the Edler suspension - it sucks, but if fits the rationale. I'm not okay with no suspension for Nash. It was a blind side elbow to the head - the exact type of play the league wants to eliminate. Shannahan has lost his credibility.

arsmaster*

It's funny that Edler and Hansen are repeat offenders now. But a guy like Kronwall isn't.

That is why they need to come up with a suspension protocol and have an independent arbitraitor (not an ex player/teammate/foe) handle the suspension.

Like watch the video on Edler and then read Shanahan's reasoning for why Nash wasn't suspended. Then watch the Hansen suspension video, listen to what he says and watch Kronwall's check on Coyle (among others).

RezChi

Feb 24, 2013
Vancouver

Schneider was going to but the bench told him to stay put

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah that's some bullcrap! Why doesn't Nash get a suspension for his hit? Ugh. Absolutely amateurish. Even the CFL league disciplinarian is laughing.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
It's funny that Edler and Hansen are repeat offenders now. But a guy like Kronwall isn't.

That is why they need to come up with a suspension protocol and have an independent arbitraitor (not an ex player/teammate/foe) handle the suspension.

Like watch the video on Edler and then read Shanahan's reasoning for why Nash wasn't suspended. Then watch the Hansen suspension video, listen to what he says and watch Kronwall's check on Coyle (among others).

Exactly. There's a double standard. Kronwall has hit guys with the same dirty B.S. leaping and turning his back so much that it has now become a 'signature move' that the Detroit announcer applaud when they see it.

But what are you going to do about it? Nothing. Even the arbitration thing is going to be contentious for both the NHL and NHLPA.

As a fan, just better to let yourself be pissed for a while then move on.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Stupid but typical judgement by NHL management. True incompetence, sheltered by the iron fist of Bettman...as witnessed by Gillis' extremely measured response. League is a joke. 5 minutes was a stretch to begin with.

Phoenix also played up the injury factor IMO, they don't play until Monday and I'd be VERY surprised if Smith isn't starting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad