Post-Game Talk: EDF Game 2 - Islanders tie up the series in OT - Game 3 Thursday in Uniondale

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Lauzon made a very poor passing decision at an inopportune time. It is not regulation time where you have a chance to recover and right the ship. One shot and the game is over.

All you Lauzon admirers are entitled to your opinion but I think he is a very marginal NHL defenseman at best. If he proves me wrong then advantage Bruins.

What do you think of Adam Pelech?

Because I think he's been a beast defensively for the Islanders in these playoffs. I see Lauzon and he possesses a lot of similar traits to Adam Pelech. Simlar size, similar skill-set.

The difference is Pelech is 3 years older and has over 300+ NHL games under his belt, and twice as much professional (NHL/AHL) experience overall.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It wasn't a "bad mistake"... it was unlucky. No idea why Coyle was up that high between the two 2 on a cycle.

It was a bad decision by Lauzon, period. He had the boards and a teammate in the corner. Make the simple play and get the puck deep.

Coyle was out that high because the puck came up the boards and he came back into the “third man high” position in case Lauzon didn’t handle the puck cleanly. It puts him in a good position (heading out of the zone) to make a play if it gets past Lauzon.

Reactions: BruinDust

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
It was a bad decision by Lauzon, period. He had the boards and a teammate in the corner. Make the simple play and get the puck deep.

Coyle was out that high because the puck came up the boards and he came back into the “third man high” position in case Lauzon didn’t handle the puck cleanly. It puts him in a good position (heading out of the zone) to make a play if it gets past Lauzon.

It was a bad decision, absolutely. But the way he's being jumped on for it is way over the top.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Agreed, but not just for defensive positioning. If you look at the league now many teams are rotating a forward, mostly the center, much higher than they used to. This creates a tighter upper triangle. The way shot blocking is now, this gives the D a short pass option if there is no shooting lane. Now, whether or not to make that pass is another conversation.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It was a bad decision, absolutely. But the way he's being jumped on for it is way over the top.

It’s not like he should be sent to the gulag or anything, lol.

I was all in favor of moving on from Chara this year. For the most part it has worked out and it was time. However, the Lauzon play highlights why (for the most part) teams hate having inexperienced guys in the lineup come playoff time. Chara would have put that puck down the boards and lived to fight another day.

Lauzon and the rest of the D need to be better and smarter, particularly in their own end.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Brad Marchand's comments about Lauzon were all I needed to see to know that room has his back and will fight to keep him in the line up.

I'm sure a good conversation with Bergy in his native French probably made him feel better as well.

Lauzon doesn't deserve to be shredded.

The entire team needs to be ripped for the piss poor play in the 2nd period. THAT is what cost them the game.

All that said, I expect Tinordi in on Thursday to beef up the snarl factor. Clutterbuck is running around and it has to stop.
What a great post....

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
A 23 year old future heart and soul Defensmen made a quick but poor decision.........His name was Larry Robinson.......His name was Ray Bourque........His name was Dennis Potvin.......His name was Duncan Keith......His name was Brad Park.....His name was Al McCinnis....His name was Briam Leetch........Not saying Lauzan will be these players......But everyone of those defensemen and more....Have made similar plays in their career....It happens to just about every player that has ever played.....

This is how you learn and i bet that puc goes forward next time.......

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
A final Lauzon thought - I'm not sure I agree with all the people assuming Lauzon will be replaced by Tinordi next game. I agree that many coaches probably would, but we've all seen Cassidy leave kids out there after big mistakes to not crush their confidence. No idea what he will do, but wouldn't be surprised at all if he even starts Lauzon next game.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

I was all in favor of moving on from Chara this year. For the most part it has worked out and it was time. However, the Lauzon play highlights why (for the most part) teams hate having inexperienced guys in the lineup come playoff time. Chara would have put that puck down the boards and lived to fight another day.

Lauzon and the rest of the D need to be better and smarter, particularly in their own end.

Yep, on board with this too. I would LIKE to think the Bruins brass understood this was a calculated risk, but....

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
A final Lauzon thought - I'm not sure I agree with all the people assuming Lauzon will be replaced by Tinordi next game. I agree that many coaches probably would, but we've all seen Cassidy leave kids out there after big mistakes to not crush their confidence. No idea what he will do, but wouldn't be surprised at all if he even starts Lauzon next game.

Even though I'd like to see Tinordi in there, taking Lauzon out because of this borders on the ridiculous - both as a tactical AND a strategic move.

Reactions: mjhfb

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
A 23 year old future heart and soul Defensmen made a quick but poor decision.........His name was Larry Robinson.......His name was Ray Bourque........His name was Dennis Potvin.......His name was Duncan Keith......His name was Brad Park.....His name was Al McCinnis....His name was Briam Leetch........Not saying Lauzan will be these players......But everyone of those defensemen and more....Have made similar plays in their career....It happens to just about every player that has ever played.....

My expectations for Lauzon are much lower than yours. If he turns into a solid 3rd pair in the Miller mold (stylistically), I will be happy.

Reactions: Knox Harrington

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Agreed.

Lauzon is better than Tinordi and is physically capable of handling a guy like Clutterbuck.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
yup.
but rask was lights out those games.
he needs to be better than game 2.
What's on Rask in Game 2? I can see the Palmieri goal maybe? But otherwise what did he give up? I also recall several excellent saves before the NYI scored their first.

Conversely, how would we feel if Rask gave up the Marchand goal, a wrister from top of the circle where half the net is open?

Again I'm no fanboy of Rask for sure, but I think he's been solid so far. Not "jump on my back" good, but also not a problem spot either.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
What's on Rask in Game 2? I can see the Palmieri goal maybe? But otherwise what did give up? I also recall several excellent saves before the NYI scored their first.

Conversely, how would we feel if Rask gave up the Marchand goal, a wrister from top of the circle where half the net is open?

Again I'm no fanboy of Rask for sure, but I think he's been solid so far. Not "jump on my back" good, but also not a problem spot either.

Hard agree.

Rask is giving his team a chance to win every night and that's all that's fair to ask of him. The shot totals are so deceptive because the Bruins will be playing a stretch where they carry the play and put up 5-10 shots and not score. Then they have a collective brain fart and the first shot they give up is a one timer from the slot.

They have a bad habit of giving up high quality chances at the tail end of them tilting the ice.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

If I'm Cassidy, Lauzon was informed he was dressing for Game 3 before he even left the building after Game 2.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

Because I think he's been a beast defensively for the Islanders in these playoffs. I see Lauzon and he possesses a lot of similar traits to Adam Pelech. Simlar size, similar skill-set.

The difference is Pelech is 3 years older and has over 300+ NHL games under his belt, and twice as much professional (NHL/AHL) experience overall.
Lauzon was much better before his hand injury

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

I do notice one name left off the list.......:sarcasm::laugh:

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006

OT, but you can't send a person to "the gulag" unless he's being employed by it. It was a department within NKVD that supervised prisons and labor camps.

Reactions: BMC

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

Yes Adam Pelech is a pretty good D man, but to put Lauzon in the same category is not what I or many other people see.

Lauzon will be lucky to function as a 3rd pair D at the NHL level. If not for Miller being injured, he would be like the 7th D at best on this team. Who are you willing to give up Clifton or Lauzon in the expansion draft?

I am not going to get too deeply involved as we have no input on management's decision. Hopefully the decision will be the right one and the Bruins will win in the end.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Lots to agree with here. Problem is with Bergeron
and Krejci age they need Lauzon and Carlo to play
like at least a reasonable facsimile of Pelech.
Pelech appears to be a bit more fluid skater.

They lose to NYI it will mean a clear downward
trajectory for this ageing core because NYI aren't beating anyone past this round. Might even influence
Hall staying in Boston.

2019 Finals
2020 QF lose to champion

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Lots to agree with here. Problem is with Bergeron
and Krejci age they need Lauzon and Carlo to play
like at least a reasonable facsimile of Pelech.
Pelech appears to be a bit more fluid skater.

They lose to NYI it will mean a clear downward
trajectory for this ageing core because NYI aren't beating anyone past this round. Might even influence
Hall staying in Boston.

2019 Finals
2020 QF lose to champion

Which would be ironic, since his inability to produce this series seems like the likely reason we would lose.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Rask has been very good so far these PO. Very good.

When he's on, the only gripe I've got (and no goalie is perfect), is that he gives away the top corners.

I know it, you know it, and it looks lo me like the Islanders know it.

I'm not blaming him for anything, just pointing out the book on him.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad