Confirmed with Link: Eddie Olczyk out as color commentator

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I couldn't be happier he's gone. The shtick had gotten so old. The same tired advice for young players, game after game. The same jokes, the same memes, game after game. His act had worn thin with me.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I couldn't be happier he's gone. The shtick had gotten so old. The same tired advice for young players, game after game. The same jokes, the same memes, game after game. His act had worn thin with me.
Still, at least he tried to educate. I found him tolerable when he wasn't working with Foley (and vice versa actually).
You may wish for Edzo back when you hear what his replacement(s) has to offer in commentary.

Reactions: BLKHKhockey

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
I think it's odd that a guy synonymous w Chicago hockey unceremoniously leaves. Something seems wrong here.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I can see guys wanting the spot. Not opposed to Sharp but he’s pretty vanilla (soft serve reference).
I think deHaan is hilarious in interviews. He clearly knows the game. … just pulling out a name.
Just say no to Konroyd!

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

Crow

May 19, 2014
I can’t stand Konroyd as color commentator but he is still better than anyone I heard last year other than Eddie. Hopefully they go an entirely new direction.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Still, at least he tried to educate. I found him tolerable when he wasn't working with Foley (and vice versa actually).
You may wish for Edzo back when you hear what his replacement(s) has to offer in commentary.
I acknowledge the next color person could be horrible. But I can't imagine wishing for Eddie back.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Olczyk is fine but doesn't move the meter for me one way or the other. Foley and Olczyk became so silly over time that I didn't enjoy that pairing much at all. Sure, there is nostalgia listening to them but the quality of their broadcast really diminished over the last few years. And Olczyk has long been a useless listen on interviews always towing the company line and rarely saying anything insightful. You can parse through this forum and gain more interesting knowledge than listening to an Olczyk interview about the Hawks.

As a national analyst Olczyk became much better a few years ago when Pierre McGuire was removed from the NBC top team. Then, Olczyk would actually talk and have banter with Brian Bucher. I thought the last year of NBC Sports with Albert, Olczyk, and Boucher was a very enjoyable listen. But overall I think Olczyk is a little overrated. I'll take Ferraro or Pang over Olczyk any day. Would love to hear Sharp or Versteeg get the gig.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well if it was nothealth (he joined rhe Seattle broadcast team) or money (unless Hawks lowballed him because he was really only available part-time due to national TV work commitments) or because he did not feel chemistry with the Hawks new tv play by play guy,IR because fir his sanity he coukd nit stomach getting positive during what will be a tank season or two ...whatever tgecreason,he gone...

Strange he goes to Seattle to provide the colour analysis on their broadcasts...because the travel will be a lit more burdensone flying back from weekend national TV broadcasts on the East Coast all the way to Seattle to cover mid-week games there...

So it is very strange he made that team his landing spot.
In any case,he needs a replacement.

Sharpie...Burish or my choice Shawzie...

Sharpie..well spoke..but a bit vanilla...Burrsh great on analysis but may lack repartee with tge play by pkay rookie...Shaw....maybe the best for chemistry withvtgebpjay by pkayvgiy butnotcsure if he can analyze pkays as well as Sharp or Burish ...

Seabrook? We have no idea how hecwoukd

Konrad....goidxanalust but dull personality.

Maybe the Hawks fond outcome wantsxtge jon then conduct trials to see whobhas the chemistry to work with the pkay by play guy.

Whoever it is will have tovendure litsofboain I the Tank this season.

Whoever it is he or maybe a she(since Hawksgoibg full outcto embrace the women in NHL jobs theme) will have a great chance to critique tge vets for making it in a lot given rhe woeful circumstance playong agaibstcteNs over-matchong the Hawks by a lot.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I kind of like the idea of moving past Chelsea Dagger. Start of a new era.
I think once/if(?) Kane and Toews are moved, they will for sure move beyond Chelsea Dagger. Even from a marketing perspective, you're just reminding fans of an era that no longer exists and was a far better on-ice product than now. You'll start to see them push the team as "Red Rising" again and schticks like that.

Reactions: MileHighHawksFan

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think once/if(?) Kane and Toews are moved, they will for sure move beyond Chelsea Dagger. Even from a marketing perspective, you're just reminding fans of an era that no longer exists and was a far better on-ice product than now. You'll start to see them push the team as "Red Rising" again and schticks like that.
Let's Dance to Joy Division by the Wombats pretty accurately encapsulates the last six or so years of Hawks fandom. Probably way too on the nose.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I kind of like the idea of moving past Chelsea Dagger. Start of a new era.
Same..Same... but I wanted them to move off of it after the 2009 season. Which sounds like i hate it, I don't I loved it. It even to me felt like the rising era of the Hawks but morphed to stand as the goal anthem all era long

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
But why though? it rarely gets played at the UC. (Yes, I know, this joke was already made but still...)
It was a great goal song when they were dominant. Hard to describe...it gave off a cocky, but lighthearted energy...as if the team was just putting on a show.

Doesn't really work the same when the team is not good. It's time to move on. New era.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Olczyk is fine but doesn't move the meter for me one way or the other. Foley and Olczyk became so silly over time that I didn't enjoy that pairing much at all. Sure, there is nostalgia listening to them but the quality of their broadcast really diminished over the last few years. And Olczyk has long been a useless listen on interviews always towing the company line and rarely saying anything insightful. You can parse through this forum and gain more interesting knowledge than listening to an Olczyk interview about the Hawks.

As a national analyst Olczyk became much better a few years ago when Pierre McGuire was removed from the NBC top team. Then, Olczyk would actually talk and have banter with Brian Bucher. I thought the last year of NBC Sports with Albert, Olczyk, and Boucher was a very enjoyable listen. But overall I think Olczyk is a little overrated. I'll take Ferraro or Pang over Olczyk any day. Would love to hear Sharp or Versteeg get the gig.

Pang is a f***ing clown. I'm still blown away he's working in hockey after all these years. I'd take Olczyk and Foley at their worst over Pang any day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad