Confirmed with Link: Eddie Olczyk out as color commentator

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Assuming it was a competitive offer, this is surprising. I would've guessed it was more a factor of a mutual breakup at best between the Hawks and Eddie, or the Hawks gently letting him know they were moving on, but wasn't expecting Eddie to be the instigator.

Which, to be clear, is not a knock against Eddie. The product will stink and the organization's luster got a helluva lot more dull the past year, so I can't blame anyone for moving on, especially after his buddy moved on as well.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
After these last few years I'm not disappointed to hear it. His mostly passive...and sometimes overtly aggressive commentary towards the Hawks at times was grating.

Hoping they get Sharpy, heck I miss Burish from the official Hawks podcast even.

But really....just not Colby please.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Hot take: He wants to partner with a legitimate announcer and not hold the hand of a hack. That's hockey, baby!

Flahawkfan

Apr 24, 2017
With all the fill-ins last year did they actually hear one that was better than Eddie?
Maybe they were so impressed with Tallon............Nah

Sharp....Burish..... Versteeg (30 sec delay will be needed), Shaw, Grimson- Any of these would make this palatable.

More likely,
Colby, Caley, Konroyd, Mayers, or C. Fraser

Reactions: Muffinalt

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Sharp....Burish..... Versteeg (30 sec delay will be needed), Shaw, Grimson- Any of these would make this palatable.

More likely,
Colby, Caley, Konroyd, Mayers, or C. Fraser
Fraser works in the Blackhawks scouting department. He's not stepping down to commentary.

PrairieDayz

Mar 22, 2015
Dallas
Cornelison/Pellico next?…the franchise gutting will be complete when HOFer to be Kane and Toews get fed up…new roster filled with has beens and no names…

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Cornelison/Pellico next?…the franchise gutting will be complete when HOFer to be Kane and Toews get fed up…new roster filled with has beens and no names…
If they get rid of Pellico I'm no longer going to be a fan. The only reason I watch is because the organ slaps.

Cornelison can go, he's just being carried by Pellico's generational organ playing.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
That's too bad. I think Eddie is the best analyst in the game in terms of seeing and explaining the play in real time. He sees in real time what the rest of us see only after replay. My only beef with Eddie was his sickening bromance on the air with Foley.

PLEASE - NOT COLBY.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I echo that Sharp should be called to gauge interest

The Hawks were for most part just awful without Foley/Eddie O last year when it came to TV

It's going to be awful experience for fans in coming years with the options available to Hawks now unless Sharp or someone of similar caliber comes aboard

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Bring back Bill Gardner. That way their minor league broadcast team will mirror the minor league team on the ice.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Adíos ed. way to leave us in a big ole pile of shit broadcast wise

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
With all the fill-ins last year did they actually hear one that was better than Eddie?
Maybe they were so impressed with Tallon............Nah

Out of that group of names, Stu is the only one that has any extensive color guy experience. At least as far as I'm aware of. Sharp I think only has one game under his belt. Burish, Shaw, and Versteeg are strictly studio guys.

*edit: I forgot to include Shaw

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad