Speculation: Eddie O moving on?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I can't stand Eddie and him thinking he is funny. His technology jokes make me want to turn the TV off. That Blackberry phone bit he had going for awhile was the worst
You aren't funny. Hockey fans are all a bunch of 65 year olds.

This goes for both of them. Eddie O is great when he's breaking down a play or telling you what happened off camera. Otherwise the two get redundant.

Konroyd puts me to sleep.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So I've heard references to Foley's drinking a lot. Where does this come from? Does Foley have DUIs or something? Or is it just people who've seen him out at bars tying one on? I've heard it so much, I don't doubt that he likes to drink but I can't seem to tell where it stems from.

He's a regular at some bars on the north side or at least he was. I met him once in the kettle club and he put a couple back rather quickly. So what if he likes to drink and it seems like it's not a casual thing for sure. People quit all the time and I'm sure that would help him - I can tell you from family experience even if you're not drunk while broadcasting it can take it's toll overall.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The Hawks would not allow Foley to show up drunk or drink in the booth, they are big on the family values thing. I agree he sounds drunk at times, you would almost have to be to laugh at some of Eddie's dumb jokes that make zero sense.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The Hawks would not allow Foley to show up drunk or drink in the booth, they are big on the family values thing. I agree he sounds drunk at times, you would almost have to be to laugh at some of Eddie's dumb jokes that make zero sense.

No, they're big on the appearance of family values.

Edit: But yea, I don't think Foley is showing up half in the bag night in night out.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

Hmm....and how does the Wirtz family make their money again???:laugh:

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Wait, what? Does he need help packing? If I speed and hold my pee I can be in Chicago in 6 hours. I'll pack and move all ****ing night if I have to.

Eddie and Pat are brutal, with only a handful of tandems being worse. Like others have said get Troy in the booth. He's fantastic. Troy and Gary Thorne (poach him).

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
wait, what? Does he need help packing? If i speed and hold my pee i can be in chicago in 6 hours. I'll pack and move all ****ing night if i have to.

Eddie and pat are brutal, with only a handful of tandems being worse. Like others have said get troy in the booth. He's fantastic. Troy and gary thorne (poach him).

yes!!!!!

Elephant Igloo

Jan 11, 2017
Would imagine/hope it's Murray/Wiedeman next in line for a full time role. They're currently better than Pat/Eddie

Pat and Eddie make for better companionship over the course of the season, but John and Troy, doing radio, call a better game. Everyone is fine where they are.

I'd like to see, or rather hear, Pat call the second frame of games that don't have local telecasts so that people can hear what a good game he could call for a radio audience, but I figure Pat enjoys his 8-10 games off at this point. Hell, he's reportedly leaving the Hawks for Vegas anyway.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Pat and Eddie make for better companionship over the course of the season, but John and Troy, doing radio, call a better game. Everyone is fine where they are.

I'd like to see, or rather hear, Pat call the second frame of games that don't have local telecasts so that people can hear what a good game he could call for a radio audience, but I figure Pat enjoys his 8-10 games off at this point. Hell, he's reportedly leaving the Hawks for Vegas anyway.

Elephant Igloo

Jan 11, 2017
Get real. Foley's worst beats most NHL announcers' best. You're just copying the Committed Indian bloggers who throw fits because he mentions the hit count too much and the hit count is one of their many, many, many hobbyhorses. I'm sure we could go hire Steve Goldstein out of Miami where his broadcasts lose to I Can't Believe They Invented It, and he'd be a technically sound announcer who flatters bloggers' sensibilities, but he wouldn't be our guy.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Get real. Foley's worst beats most NHL announcers' best. You're just copying the Committed Indian bloggers who throw fits because he mentions the hit count too much and the hit count is one of their many, many, many hobbyhorses. I'm sure we could go hire Steve Goldstein out of Miami where his broadcasts lose to I Can't Believe They Invented It, and he'd be a technically sound announcer who flatters bloggers' sensibilities, but he wouldn't be our guy.

I'll have you know his obsession with hits and his ability to simplify literally ANY goal down to a faceoff win that may or may not have occurred 3 separate possession changes ago, are but two of the litany of reasons I dislike Pat Foley as an announcer. :laugh:

And saying I should like a buffoon because he's 'our' buffoon may very well be the least compelling endorsement I've ever heard.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
If you think Foley is awful, half the league's PbP guys are unemployable.

You're not wrong.

Canadian feeds used to afford a great reprieve, but Sportsnet doesn't call the games themselves all the time like TSN used to. They just pass on the American feed. When they do it in house, it's significantly better... so long as Romanuk isn't the guy calling them.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I'll have you know his obsession with hits and his ability to simplify literally ANY goal down to a faceoff win that may or may not have occurred 3 separate possession changes ago, are but two of the litany of reasons I dislike Pat Foley as an announcer. :laugh:

And saying I should like a buffoon because he's 'our' buffoon may very well be the least compelling endorsement I've ever heard.

There may have been 3 possession changes but the first pass attempting to exit the zone is the most crucial and more difficult after a defensive zone face off loss than a win.

Also funny that 3 teams are left in POs, 2 are under water in SOG and the Preds were flat. Not the great outcome predictor now is it.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
There may have been 3 possession changes but the first pass attempting to exit the zone is the most crucial and more difficult after a defensive zone face off loss than a win.

Also funny that 3 teams are left in POs, 2 are under water in SOG and the Preds were flat. Not the great outcome predictor now is it.

:sarcasm: No you have it all wrong MM
- Possession and other so-called advanced stats are everything
- FO wins are overrated
- physicality, size, character, general nastiness are irrelevant
- remove the center line
- remove the blue line. Offsides just get in the way
- perhaps even remove the ice and have the players wear roller skates :sarcasm:

Sorry couldn't resist.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Do not the Preds and Sens both employ the 1-3-1 to clog the neutral zone?

The difference is that the Preds are faster and get to loose pucks faster to clear AND that Rinne handles the puck and makes the exit of the d-zone transition go better than the Sens ...Thus more offensive attack chances and scores...Not sure what to.makebof Pittsburgh and theirvsystem except that they care a very fast team ...

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Isn't that the truth? Anybody who closely follows the team knows how phony they are.

yes they are phony because they want the franchise/business to appear as clean and respectable as they can while making money.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Only thing I hate about them is when they get off tangent about some random subject and don't pay attention to the game for a while. Which is getting more common. That and the tree turty tree crap.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Pat and Troy were great together...

But one guy that will never grow on me is John Wideman who can call a game fine at times but his goal calls are just too over the top for me always... FIRESHESCORESOMGGGGWHATAGOALBYPATRICKSHARPHIS1STPLAYOFFGOALTHISYEARANDTHEBLACKHAWKSAREJUST2MINUTESAWAYFROMTHEWESTERNCONFERENCEFINALOHHHHHSWEETHOMECHICAGO!

Very Gord Millerish back in the day who can still be very bad also but has toned down the unnecessary yelling.. I don't know it just seems so many announcers in all sports just try too hard all wanting to create that epic moment with their call, not a fan of that style.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

:huh:

I assume you mean of their last single game played?

Because in the playoffs to date NSH is a 52.77% Score-Adjusted CF team
Ottawa is a 52.20% Score-Adjusted CF team
Anaheim WAS 51.14% Score-Adjusted CF team

Only PIT is under water, and badly, at 42.71% Score-Adjusted CF, and that makes sense given they're icing a skeleton crew due to injuries and they were badly outplayed for the bulk of the WSH series and just got the better goaltending.

That said, most people wouldn't use playoff shot metrics as predictive stats, just descriptive. Because at the absolute MOST you're going to get a 28 game sample size from any team. And within that sample, different teams will be playing varying number of games (series lengths) against varying quality of competition.

By the 25 games played mark, you'd probably have enough data to reach predictive value, but by then the playoffs are a game or two away from being over, if not already over. The Blackhawks, for example, have never reached 25 games played in a cup run in the Toews.Kane era.

It's regular season numbers, particularly the final 25 games when post-TDL rosters get set, that are predictive of playoff success. But it's obviously not a 100% accurate predictor, because there isn't one. MIN can outplay STL for 5 straight games, and Jake Allen can catch fire just long enough to send them to the 2nd round before coming back down to Earth. WSH can outplay PIT and Holtby can stink out the joint. EDM can get atrocious calls to lose games they had won, and SJS can get two injuries to their top 2 Cs just as the playoffs are about to start, BOS can lose an entire D corps over the course of a series, etc.

The kind of things that balance out over a season, hot goalies, cold shooters, vice versa, injuries, bad calls.... they don't have time to even out over 7 game series. Sometimes even two.

Anyway, back on topic, Pat Foley is long past his prime and I'd much prefer the radio guys take over ASAP.

Elephant Igloo

Jan 11, 2017
If it comes to that, the smarter move would be to put Judd Sirott on television, where he was with the Wolves, and keep John on the radio.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I would really like John to do play by play, but I'm not sure what the answer is for color. The last thing I need is whining about calls not going their way during a game I can actually see. Troy is a little better than a couple years ago, but his incessant whining and emphasis on non calls of infractions committed against the Hawks kills me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad