Speculation: Eddie O moving on?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't get the Eddie O hate. He breaks down the game for the casual fan and it helps grow the game. If they should get rid of anyone it should be Foley.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't get the Eddie O hate. He breaks down the game for the casual fan and it helps grow the game. If they should get rid of anyone it should be Foley.

It's really a shame how far Foley has fallen. He used to be the best in the late 90s, early 2000s. When he just calls the game I think he's still pretty good, but he thinks people want to hear the dumb jokes all the time.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I might be in the minority here, but I want to see what Edzo can do as an assistant behind the bench. Hawks players seem to have a healthy amount of respect for him, and frankly, a lot of what he says about our PP is absolutely correct.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
It's really a shame how far Foley has fallen. He used to be the best in the late 90s, early 2000s. When he just calls the game I think he's still pretty good, but he thinks people want to hear the dumb jokes all the time.

I think its mostly hardcore fans who dislike some of what Foley rants about. If the Hawks fired Foley, I'm pretty sure my wife would only watch the playoffs with me as opposed to most of the RS games. Weird, I know.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

I don't hate him he just doesn't do anything for me. He repeats himself over and over. He's not funny and not particularly interesting. Plus, he does something like 80% of all the games I watch.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
I like Eddie

Please God get rid of Konroyd ... he's like listening to paint dry

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Don't understand it either, honestly. I've never had a problem with him in any way. Foley either. Don't quite understand the issue with him.

Yes, they both throw out some corny jokes from time to time. But Foley is a Blackhawks icon, and not only that, but an NHL icon. He's in the HHOF for a reason...

And Edzo knows the game well, does a good job explaining things to those who don't know it, and is solid with his commentary for the most part.

Both aren't nearly as bad as many seem to make them out to be. I'd take both of them over all but one or two guys in the NHL, AINEC.

Murray and Wiedeman will likely stay on the radio, I imagine. They'll give Konroyd or someone else that has been doing TV for CSN Chicago/the Blackhawks a shot before those guys, IMO.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I think its mostly hardcore fans who dislike some of what Foley rants about. If the Hawks fired Foley, I'm pretty sure my wife would only watch the playoffs with me as opposed to most of the RS games. Weird, I know.
Honestly, if Foley went on more Karpotsev rants, I'd have less of an issue with him.

Hell, I still hope someone has the rant Murray went off on after the playoffs. I heard it was epic (and very justified and needed).

It's really just he and Edzo that just go off on really corny shtick tangents that usually have nothing to do with the game for about 4-5 shifts, and they feed off each other.

WHEN Pat and Eddie call it well, they are some of the best in the game...it's just been sliding downhill ever since Pat got back and it's become quite dated and take away from the broadcast.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

He's getting older and declining. No different than Hawk from the White Sox. Not everyone is ageless as Vin Scully.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
His calls arent declining IMO just his attention span.

He follows the game like one might expect a toddler to follow the game.

As somebody else said, when he (and Olcyzk) are actually calling the game they're still good. In a game with constant end-to-end action and few whistles, they still hold up.

But god help us all when they have even 30 seconds to kill between meaningful plays. Because if there's 'dad trying to be cool' humor, Foley is 'grandpa trying to be funny' humor. And its wretched.

If the broadcast would reign Foley in and maybe structure the broadcast more rigidly (ie, have play breakdowns/footage ready to go the SECOND theres a whistle or lull in play) so he's never left with dead air to fill with nonsense, maybe you get a few more bearable years out of him.

But free reign Foley is just... not good at all.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
His calls arent declining IMO just his attention span.

He follows the game like one might expect a toddler to follow the game.

As somebody else said, when he (and Olcyzk) are actually calling the game they're still good. In a game with constant end-to-end action and few whistles, they still hold up.

But god help us all when they have even 30 seconds to kill between meaningful plays. Because if there's 'dad trying to be cool' humor, Foley is 'grandpa trying to be funny' humor. And its wretched.

If the broadcast would reign Foley in and maybe structure the broadcast more rigidly (ie, have play breakdowns/footage ready to go the SECOND theres a whistle or lull in play) so he's never left with dead air to fill with nonsense, maybe you get a few more bearable years out of him.

But free reign Foley is just... not good at all.

This.
Except when he gets players names wrong...but that's nothing a new prescription can't fix...be it glasses or adderal.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010

No way, the faster Foley completely slips into senility the more entertaining it is for us.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I honestly think he's drunk most the time, and not going senile.

So I've heard references to Foley's drinking a lot. Where does this come from? Does Foley have DUIs or something? Or is it just people who've seen him out at bars tying one on? I've heard it so much, I don't doubt that he likes to drink but I can't seem to tell where it stems from.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
So I've heard references to Foley's drinking a lot. Where does this come from? Does Foley have DUIs or something? Or is it just people who've seen him out at bars tying one on? I've heard it so much, I don't doubt that he likes to drink but I can't seem to tell where it stems from.

A friend of mine saw him at Stocks and Blondes a few years back sipping High Lifes. He told him he loved his work in NHL Open Ice and Foley went "You remember that piece of ****!?" :laugh:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

I dont think anybody is claiming he's a functional alcoholic.

I think the drinking jokes started after a few in-booth camera shots of Foley and Edzo, with cocktails on the desk in clear view. Like several lined up.

But this was awhile ago. Like 2010-2011 I think.

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010
FWIW, when I met him between periods at a game a couple years ago he definitely wasn't drunk...had a really nice chat with him, and he basically was just on a quick bathroom break.

I'm still a huge fan of his, even if he keeps slipping, I'll prefer him to just about anyone else. As someone said, it's on TV, I can see who is passing to who anyway... EddieO is fine as a color guy, but it couldn't hurt to put someone with Pat who is a bit more...I dunno...rigorous?

Last edited:

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I can't stand Eddie and him thinking he is funny. His technology jokes make me want to turn the TV off. That Blackberry phone bit he had going for awhile was the worst
You aren't funny. Hockey fans are all a bunch of 65 year olds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad