Confirmed with Link: Ed Snider passes away at 83 (Memorial Service Held 4/21)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
There are so many, countless, stories of the man's affinity for the community, his players, staff and team. Many will be made if not already aired. His legacy should be cherished. He was truly a pioneer. Fifty years as the face of a franchise. He left an indelible mark on the landscape of professional sports but more so on how to conduct an enterprise. Rest in peace, sir.

And from a competitor, moments ago, comes this generous comment:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Game after Lindbergh died, I believe they beat Edmonton. The game after Tim Kerr's wife tragically passed away, they won. If this isn't motivation nothing is. Don't expect a Cup but I don't expect a quick exit by any stretch of the imagination.

They were in Pittsburgh and got the news at the team's hotel. Kerr's wife had passed days after delivering their child into the world. She was also Mr. Snider's administrative assistant at one point. Snider sent his plane to Pittsburgh and made sure Kerr returned home ASAP. The Penguins held a moment of silence prior to the game. I think it was Mark Howe who said he cried during that moment. The players were zapped. Even after the game, Paul Holmgren, as head coach, avoided the media because he was at a loss. That was a sickening event.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
That's an awesome picture. I can't help but say that the whole left portion of the picture looks photoshopped in though haha. Umberger, Lecavalier, Medvedev and whoever the hell that is that's standing directly behind little Schenn. Also where is Big Schenn and Gudas? Who is cut in half on the left? Who is the guy standing next to Simmonds? So many questions.

I saw a quick flash of the full panoramic photo on TV... the one we see here is trimmed off on both sides... The quick glance I had clearly showed Luke on the right side that was lopped off... I would assume that Gudas, and probably Neuvy and others were either there with him or on he left lopped off portion.

It would be nice to see the complete photo somewhere... I'll hunt for it for us.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
TeamPhoto_SniderHouse.jpg

Found it... There's Luke... but I don't see Gudas nor Neuvirth.

An impressive photo from what I'm sure was a a mos memorable trip for the Team.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
The Ed Snider Foundation

One last note on the kind of person Mr. Snider was... I just now heard that he left for his Youth Hockey Program funds 'well into six digits so that they will be able to continue functioning for some time'... I'm not sure how far is 'well into', bu if I have this correct, we are talking hundreds of millions of dollars... which I'd assume is in an account that would safely build into greater funds.

Ed took care of his kids in an unbelievable manner... God got himself a great man today, on so many fronts.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
One last note on the kind of person Mr. Snider was... I just now heard that he left for his Youth Hockey Program funds 'well into six digits so that they will be able to continue functioning for some time'... I'm not sure how far is 'well into', bu if I have this correct, we are talking hundreds of millions of dollars... which I'd assume is in an account that would safely build into greater funds.

Ed took care of his kids in an unbelievable manner... God got himself a great man today, on so many fronts.

I always thought 6 digits was in the hundred thousand range. 500,000 is 6 digits. Unless the "digits" in these cases is referring to the number of zeroes after? So 5,000,000 would be 6 digits? Either way, Ed already invested millions of dollars into his youth hockey program and left a sizeable endowment to them after passing. One thing is for sure, he was a very generous man.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia

Not to take anything away from Mr. Snider, but Cyborg Leclair is right; it's hundreds of thousands, not hundreds of millions. Hundreds of millions would have been absurd, think about it. Either way it's a very significant amount of money, but not unexpected from a guy like Ed. Like cyborg said, he was a very generous guy, RIP.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
"That's one thing about Ed, he didn't back away from anything. He challenged a lot of things in the National Hockey League when we were called the Broad Street Bullies back in the '70s, and he stuck up for his players and he stuck up for his fans because that's who he wanted at the games.

"We filled that building with people that appreciated hockey and the hard work that everybody did. That's what Mr. Snider was all about -- it was hard work. Indirectly we followed in his footsteps. We didn't realize we were doing it but we did, and I think that's one thing I can always say: Mr. Snider was always loyal to us and it didn't matter what we did, he was going to back us up."

---Reggie Leach

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I have been following the Flyers religiously for 30 of the Flyers 50 years. As Mr. Snider's death has somberly set in 1 day later....it doesn't feel real that he will no longer be around to be the face of the franchise. Obviously, in spirit he will always remain as such...

I can picture him looking on proudly from above at his team and his family. He left an amazing legacy in this city. To live, to love, to leave a legacy should be everybody's inspiration in life. He lived a full life and has given all of us inspiration to follow his example....

Thank you Mr. Snider for all that you have done for this city, hockey and for all of us Flyers fans.

Let's go Flyers!

Let's win the Cup! :nod:

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

It would be really good to contribute to these funds in order to honor the man.

Does anyone know the way to donate?

It would be really nice if Flyers had donation boxes available at WFC on Thursday for the fans to contribute to Ed Snider's legacy.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I have been following the Flyers religiously for 30 of the Flyers 50 years. As Mr. Snider's death has somberly set in 1 day later....it doesn't feel real that he will no longer be around to be the face of the franchise.

However, I can picture him looking on proudly from above at his team and his family. He left an amazing legacy in this city. To live, to love to leave a legacy should be everybody's inspiration in life. He lived a full life and has given all of us inspiration to follow his example....

Thank you Mr. Snider for all that you have done for this city, hockey and for all of us Flyers fans.

Let's go Flyers!

Let's win the Cup! :nod:

I have a feeling Pat Quinn has a huge smile, chomping on a cigar, hands out, saying "Welcome, let's go watch a game." On a side note Quinn was instrumental behind-the-scenes in finally getting the powers-in-charge to elect Fred Shero to the Hockey Hall-of-Fame.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I have a feeling Pat Quinn has a huge smile, chomping on a cigar, hands out, saying "Welcome, let's go watch a game." On a side note Quinn was instrumental behind-the-scenes in finally getting the powers-in-charge to elect Fred Shero to the Hockey Hall-of-Fame.

It would be kind of cool for somebody to do a photoshop picture of all the deceased Flyer family smiling with Snider saying "Let's go Flyers!" (requested an avatar)

It is so appropriate as well that the Flyers are again the standard bearers for making this city proud again and being the only professional franchise in this city to make it to the postseason this season. All the teams will now follow our lead again ;)

I'm sure Mr Snider is very very proud...

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It would be kind of cool for somebody to do a photoshop picture of all the deceased Flyer family smiling with Snider saying "Let's go Flyers!"

It is so appropriate as well that the Flyers are again the standard bearers for making this city proud again and being the only professional franchise in this city to make it to the postseason this season. All the teams will now follow our lead again ;)

I'm sure Mr Snider is very very proud...

I could be mistaken in that the list is incomplete but something I have had compiled over time:

Deceased Philadelphia Flyers

Player Affiliation
Barry Ashbee Retired player, active assistant coach
Larry Mickey Retired player
Bruce Gamble Retired player
Pelle Lindbergh Active Player
Fred Shero Former head coach
Wayne Hillman Retired player
Michel Larocque Retired player
Don Earle Former broadcaster
Ralph MacSweyn Retired player
Yanick Dupre Active player
Bill Flett Retired player
Gene Hart Former broadcaster, front office staff
Dmitri Tertyshny Active player
Rick Lapointe Retired player
Barry Tabobondung Retired, draft pick
Rev. John F. Casey Team chaplain
Jerry Melnyk Former scout (played in 1968 camp)
Frank Lewis Former trainer
Joe Scott Founding partner
Roger Neilson Former head coach
Bob Boucher Former assistant coach
Bud Poile Former general manager
John Hanna Former player
Andrei Lomakin Retired player
Pay Hannigan Retired player
Stu Nahan Former broadcaster
Miroslav Dvorak Retired player
Gary Darling Former ass’t general manager
Peter Zezel Retired player
Reggie Fleming Retired player
Wayne Stephenson Retired player
Willie Huber Retired player
E.J. McGuire Assistant coach
Jim Cunningham Retired player
Brad McCrimmon Retired player
John Brogan PR Man, Executive
Jean Gauthier Retired player
Wayne Fleming Former assistant coach
Sylvan Tobin Limited partner
Allan Stanley Retired player
Keith Allen Former head coach, GM
Ross Lonsberry Retired player
Larry Zeidel Retired player
Pat Quinn Former head coach
Don McLeod Retired player
Dave Hoyda Retired player
Rick Foley Retired player
Ed Snider Founder (anything he wanted)

The list is sloppy in appearance, the tabs didn't take but I edited to limit the info to the name of the person and the role the individual played.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed - through Your mercy, O God - rest in peace. Amen.

The NHL has lost a good man. A far better caretaker of his team than the one we have in Boston.

I will be rooting for you in the playoffs.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed - through Your mercy, O God - rest in peace. Amen.

The NHL has lost a good man. A far better caretaker of his team than the one we have in Boston.

I will be rooting for you in the playoffs.

Thank you for that. If you ever get a chance to talk to Andy Brickley about Mr. Snider and/or Bobby Clarke, take the moment.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I could be mistaken in that the list is incomplete but something I have had compiled over time:

Deceased Philadelphia Flyers

Player Affiliation
Barry Ashbee Retired player, active assistant coach
Larry Mickey Retired player
Bruce Gamble Retired player
Pelle Lindbergh Active Player
Fred Shero Former head coach
Wayne Hillman Retired player
Michel Larocque Retired player
Don Earle Former broadcaster
Ralph MacSweyn Retired player
Yanick Dupre Active player
Bill Flett Retired player
Gene Hart Former broadcaster, front office staff
Dmitri Tertyshny Active player
Rick Lapointe Retired player
Barry Tabobondung Retired, draft pick
Rev. John F. Casey Team chaplain
Jerry Melnyk Former scout (played in 1968 camp)
Frank Lewis Former trainer
Joe Scott Founding partner
Roger Neilson Former head coach
Bob Boucher Former assistant coach
Bud Poile Former general manager
John Hanna Former player
Andrei Lomakin Retired player
Pay Hannigan Retired player
Stu Nahan Former broadcaster
Miroslav Dvorak Retired player
Gary Darling Former ass’t general manager
Peter Zezel Retired player
Reggie Fleming Retired player
Wayne Stephenson Retired player
Willie Huber Retired player
E.J. McGuire Assistant coach
Jim Cunningham Retired player
Brad McCrimmon Retired player
John Brogan PR Man, Executive
Jean Gauthier Retired player
Wayne Fleming Former assistant coach
Sylvan Tobin Limited partner
Allan Stanley Retired player
Keith Allen Former head coach, GM
Ross Lonsberry Retired player
Larry Zeidel Retired player
Pat Quinn Former head coach
Don McLeod Retired player
Dave Hoyda Retired player
Rick Foley Retired player
Ed Snider Founder (anything he wanted)

The list is sloppy in appearance, the tabs didn't take but I edited to limit the info to the name of the person and the role the individual played.

Thanks MSE....sobering remembrance. I wasn't aware of some of the former flyers passing away like Lomakin ...

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thanks MSE....sobering remembrance. I wasn't aware of some of the former flyers passing away like Lomakin ...

I think you have to go back to 1998 to see a year in which someone affiliated with the organization hasn't passed. Not meant to be maudlin but age catches us all eventually. We should be celebrating his legacy, too. Cheers to him!

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I always thought 6 digits was in the hundred thousand range. 500,000 is 6 digits. Unless the "digits" in these cases is referring to the number of zeroes after? So 5,000,000 would be 6 digits? Either way, Ed already invested millions of dollars into his youth hockey program and left a sizeable endowment to them after passing. One thing is for sure, he was a very generous man.

Not to take anything away from Mr. Snider, but Cyborg Leclair is right; it's hundreds of thousands, not hundreds of millions. Hundreds of millions would have been absurd, think about it. Either way it's a very significant amount of money, but not unexpected from a guy like Ed. Like cyborg said, he was a very generous guy, RIP.

Yes... my bad... late night Post and not the best concentration... Unless I misstated the amount of zeros... It did seem a fantastic high amount... and in either case it is very generous. When talking about a Billionaires and Charities, numbers can be staggering... and Snider's dedication to this cause is so great... so in the mid-morning I accepted it... and thought I'd pass on the information.

In any case, yes, it was very significant... and I think it's great for these kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad