Confirmed with Link: Ed Snider passes away at 83 (Memorial Service Held 4/21)

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So the Flyers posted that the Snider patches will not be available to the public "at this time."

With that said I am going to make the patches myself. I ordered 20 black background and white bordered patches. I am going to cut the twill EMS myself. I have a gamer preordered so I will have the exact dimensions of the lettering at that time, although I have a general idea at this point.

My plan is to donate 100% of the profits that are made on these patches and donate the money to either the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation or Comcast-Spectacor Charities.

I am currently trying to figure out a price point on these. Since I think I'm only doing a limited run of 20 I think that I want to raise the price to generate more money for the charity. If I was doing a mass run I would have the price lower for obvious reasons. I would provide proof of the donations so that everyone knows I'm not pocketing the extra money. I don't want to sell them for $1 "profit" each and donate a whopping $20, if that makes any sense.

I assume their is interest here, what do you all think about a fair price point? I'm still trying to figure out the exact cost to make of each patch but just to be safe let's say $10.

*pending talking to suite rep on Monday about legalities.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Great ceremony. I think everyone that spoke did an excellent job, especially the girl from Kensington that went through the Youth hockey program. They did a bang up job and Ed would have been proud.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
For the current Flyers players that were there...how could this not inspire them

"The last full sentence he ever spoke to me, and this is what he said, not just for me or the family," son Jay Snider said, choking on his words. "He told me so I would tell you. And I quote, 'I can't thank the Flyers enough for everything they've given to me and my family. Thank you.'"

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For the current Flyers players that were there...how could this not inspire them

"The last full sentence he ever spoke to me, and this is what he said, not just for me or the family," son Jay Snider said, choking on his words. "He told me so I would tell you. And I quote, 'I can't thank the Flyers enough for everything they've given to me and my family. Thank you.'"

That's just amazing.

GummybearDad78

Apr 19, 2016
Been reading for 8 years and this moved me enough to actually make a name and post. Ive been a fan for 35 years and as a young man I had many issues that caused me to want to give up on life. My father and I didn't share much and what we did share was love for Philadelphia sports, needless to say in an effort to change my outlook on life my father reminded me that nothing in life is destined to stay the same but the one thing that wouldn't change is the fact that the flyers, who were my Fav Philadelphia team, would always be there to take my mind off the bad times. If not for Ed Snider and his gift to us of these Philadelphia flyers I might not be the happy well adjusted father of four with a happy life, because i might have given up in the bad time of life. I live in AZ now so I could not make it to pay my respect there, so I guess I will give my respect and thanks here. :)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I have to go take a walk in my block yard after Jay Snider said that quote. I basically lost it. The man that gave us the team we love so much and bicker and argue about, thanks them for what they gave back to him.

Man, the guy was amazing.

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
Been reading for 8 years and this moved me enough to actually make a name and post. Ive been a fan for 35 years and as a young man I had many issues that caused me to want to give up on life. My father and I didn't share much and what we did share was love for Philadelphia sports, needless to say in an effort to change my outlook on life my father reminded me that nothing in life is destined to stay the same but the one thing that wouldn't change is the fact that the flyers, who were my Fav Philadelphia team, would always be there to take my mind off the bad times. If not for Ed Snider and his gift to us of these Philadelphia flyers I might not be the happy well adjusted father of four with a happy life, because i might have given up in the bad time of life. I live in AZ now so I could not make it to pay my respect there, so I guess I will give my respect and thanks here. :)

:handclap: :cheers:

Flyers2819

Nov 12, 2013
Springfield VA
Didnt make into town for this memorial. Hope it was as amazing as i hear. Made it to the Harry K memorial after his death and walaking onto that field to pay my respects was bonechilling, such a great atmosphere. Everyone was sharing their stories, it was awesome.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Amazing what sports can do. God bless

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Listening to everyone who spoke tonight, it's unbelievable what Mr. Snider meant to not only the city of Philadelphia but people from every walk of life, all the stories shared this evening had such depth and significance when shared, being a Flyers fan is in itself draws you into the core of who Mr. Snider was and what he embodied, watching Clarkie up there fighting back his tears talking about the unforgettable life lesson he learned from Mr. Snider, Bettman's speak was great it showed how much Mr.Snider cared about the game and it's well being, but for me when Virlen Reyes got up and spoke about the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation and how it gave her hope, she wrote Mr. Snider a letter thanking him when she was younger because she had no hope and no positive influences in her life and life wasn't really worth living until she came upon the Youth Hockey Program, Mr. Snider wrote her a letter back and asked to meet her, it was powerful and moving listening to her talk about what she has accomplished in life because of what Mr. Snider has done, remarkable really I sat there with tears streaming realizing how important and special he was and this is truly a special special man who brought us all these amazing things through a kids game, I for one am more proud today than I ever have been to be a Flyers fan

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

That really got to me. I haven't cried watching TV since Ole Yeller but man did that make me choke up.
I liked his daughter's story about dating the rat too.
I still can't believe how far along he was with the illness. I am glad the media was respectful of his privacy.

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison

God Bless Ed.

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison
Listening to everyone who spoke tonight, it's unbelievable what Mr. Snider meant to not only the city of Philadelphia but people from every walk of life, all the stories shared this evening had such depth and significance when shared, being a Flyers fan is in itself draws you into the core of who Mr. Snider was and what he embodied, watching Clarkie up there fighting back his tears talking about the unforgettable life lesson he learned from Mr. Snider, Bettman's speak was great it showed how much Mr.Snider cared about the game and it's well being, but for me when Virlen Reyes got up and spoke about the Ed Snider Youth Hockey Foundation and how it gave her hope, she wrote Mr. Snider a letter thanking him when she was younger because she had no hope and no positive influences in her life and life wasn't really worth living until she came upon the Youth Hockey Program, Mr. Snider wrote her a letter back and asked to meet her, it was powerful and moving listening to her talk about what she has accomplished in life because of what Mr. Snider has done, remarkable really I sat there with tears streaming realizing how important and special he was and this is truly a special special man who brought us all these amazing things through a kids game, I for one am more proud today than I ever have been to be a Flyers fan

thank you for posting

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I would never had thought that I could respect Mr. Snider more than I had until he died and the stories came out... Today I went to the memorial and then watched my recording of it all over again, with he same concentrated interest and amazement... each speaker related stories and information I had never knew, and it seems that each touched on different aspects of Mr. Snider's amazing, wonderful and giving life -- who knew that Ed went through many studies during his battle just to help research for find a cancer cure and cancer treatment? -- I was touched by each speaker, as they were all so touched by him, and honestly related stories from the heart... each he loved and each loved him back to one extent or another... He touched so many... and we will never know all the people he touched and helped a great deal... I thought I had heard the best with each speaker until the next speaker... and then his family blew me away entirely. It was a wonderful memorial and celebration of a wonderful life that went well past what he did for me personally these past fifty years with his founding, maintaining and directing of the Flyers.

Mr. Snider was a great man -- and I don't use that term lightly in any way -- on at least two fronts... and each front was far reaching in how it effected so many people in Philadelphia as well as the entire world... There is the Creative/Business side with his establishing the Flyers, the entertainment Facilities (here and elsewhere), ComcastSpectacor and all the spun off businesses, the entertainment Media oulets that morphed into the 'New' NBC and its expanded hockey/Sports coverage...Yada, Yada, Yada... In a 'It's a Wonderful Life' type situation, it would be amazing doing a study and detail just what Philadelphia would be without the Flyers and maybe a relocated Sixers, the Entertainment Complex... where would we have our concerts, show and Sports? Who would have buit it and would it have been a success? Where would the Phillies and Eagles be if not for the South Philly Complex?... What would it be like without Prism Morphing into Comcast and all Comcast has brought to Philly? What about the NHL coverage that was constantly failing in all earlier incarnations? What would we have without Sports Radio and CSN Sports Channel and all its offshoots? And what would the NHL look like without what Ed brought it with coverage and all the Flyers brought?... What about the Arena Management around the globe? The have that down to a smooth running science.

Then there is the Humanitarian Ed and his Youth work and all his charity work... his University donations that established schools in multiple cities... his touching individual people in many ways... with his wealth and his heart... his using his wealth for the betterment of many less fortunate... What would it be like if all the humanitarian work was not done?

The more I think about it, the more I realize just how great a man he was... and I honestly feel that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg as many stores are kept under the covers, due to Mr. Snider's humility... you may think I'm insane when I say this, but I honestly can look at him in a similar manner as I do Ben Franklin as to the far reaching aspects of his creativity and inspiration and works... both were men who came to Philadelphia from sister cities and adopted it as their home, and gave all they had for the betterment of its citizens as well as that of those outside Philly.

Please forgive me for the length of this post... and maybe for the extent of my praise... but I honestly owe so much to this man over the course of the last fifty years and into the future, as he has touched my life in so many ways... and I keep on learning that there is so much more to him.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I am very glad that I could watch it yesterday, great experience, so many spectacular stories about Mr. Snider. I always had so much respect for him, but after these days, it reached sky-high. Gary Bettman had really good speech and stories.

Once again, thanks Mr. Snider for the opportunity to cheer and connect our lives for the best team in the NHL, all thanks to you, sir. Never forget.

Now it's up to the players, as Jay Snider said (I think it was him, right?)... Caps, if you are watching this, we are not done yet!

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Such sadness. Everyone's time comes eventually, but it's still sad. I never met Ed Snider, but I'm really glad he brought the Flyers to Philly.

Hope he goes where he wants to be and sees what he wants to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad