Confirmed with Link: Ed Snider passes away at 83 (Memorial Service Held 4/21)

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
It would be really good to contribute to these funds in order to honor the man.

Does anyone know the way to donate?

It would be really nice if Flyers had donation boxes available at WFC on Thursday for the fans to contribute to Ed Snider's legacy.

I believe that the family asked that in lieu of flowers, arrangements, etc. that people contribute to any of his charitable organizations.

You can donate at this page.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Anyone know what happens to Snider's minority ownership stake?

That could be something decided through a will. A Comcast exec said that Mr. Snider took the necessary steps in order to ensure a smooth transition. That will probably become public once the days advance.

SaveHextall

Nov 21, 2006
Westchester, NY
So with the passing of Flyers founder/owner Ed Snider, I thought I'd share a pretty cool story. I have probably 60-70 different orange Flyers T-shirts they give out before playoff games. Well my friend was going to a fundraiser a few years ago that Mr. Snider was going to attend. She asked me if I'd send her something like 10-15 different shirts so she could use them to make a quilt for Mr. Snider. She did just that and his eyes lit up when she gave it to him. A mutual friend of theirs even told her a few years later that he still uses that quilt and loves it. I think it's pretty cool that he used a quilt that was made up of shirts that I owned.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
So with the passing of Flyers founder/owner Ed Snider, I thought I'd share a pretty cool story. I have probably 60-70 different orange Flyers T-shirts they give out before playoff games. Well my friend was going to a fundraiser a few years ago that Mr. Snider was going to attend. She asked me if I'd send her something like 10-15 different shirts so she could use them to make a quilt for Mr. Snider. She did just that and his eyes lit up when she gave it to him. A mutual friend of theirs even told her a few years later that he still uses that quilt and loves it. I think it's pretty cool that he used a quilt that was made up of shirts that I owned.
That is a remarkable entry.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Any word on any special ceremony or plans by the team prior to our first home game (Game 3)?

They've been pretty quiet about it all. The only thing that I've heard is that they're going to wear patches on their jersey. But Carchidi is the only one to have said that and it was a one sentence blurb in an article.

I imagine they will pull out all of the stops though.

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
Yeah, same here re: the patches, HC. Just wondering if there was anything more specific taking place as I'm going to the game and coming down from Connecticut so was wondering if I needed to adjust my arrival time accordingly.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Definitely one of the best owners in the league and for many years. I hope the team wins in his memory. it would be great to see. RIP

StateOfHexcellence

Mar 31, 2016
Ashes of Pattison

Man that's an awesome story ....thanks for sharing

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
That could be something decided through a will. A Comcast exec said that Mr. Snider took the necessary steps in order to ensure a smooth transition. That will probably become public once the days advance.
I just hope it doesn't pass to his family. I know I'll receive a TON of flak for this, but while I appreciate everything Ed Snider did for the Flyers and Philadelphia and am sad to see him go, I always hated that money I spent on my favorite team was being used to finance the objectivist movement.

SaveHextall

Nov 21, 2006
Westchester, NY
I tweeted the team and Carchidi (no reply from either) about the possibility of the team selling the patches that they'll be wearing to the public, with proceeds going to his Foundation.

If any of you hear anything or have a way to maybe let the team know we'd be interested in them, that would be great.

Glad you guys enjoyed the quilt story.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
Just dropped in to give my condolences Flyers fans.

As a Toronto sports fan, I've been shocked by the outpouring of grief you guys have shown. My city is blessed with teams that I love despite their mediocrity, all owned and controlled by massive multi-billion dollar corporations. Our figureheads are largely unknown, bottom-line, business first guys. While Mr. Snider was a successful businessman, the type of connection he had with the City of Philadelphia and the Flyers fans is something completely unknown to Toronto guys like myself.

With my team pushing for Auston Matthews instead of a Cup, I hope you guys can make a run for him. It's only justice for how much of himself he gave to the team you guys love. I'm glad you all recognize how lucky you were to have an owner who loved the game so much. I'm proud to be a hockey fan today.

RIP Mr. Snider, there won't ever be another one quite like him.

Very classy from a fan of an extremely hated rival (at least back in the day). Your team is not far from regained success.

For me, I feel like I was kicked in the balls. I knew it was coming (he had been sick for a while and battling). The positive, he got to see them get into the playoffs on a year they were rebuilding. Hopefully, through his pain and suffering of his fight with cancer, that gave him a twinge of a smile- or at least a smirk.

God Bless and to the Boys, go try and kick some caps ass!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad