ECSF | Ottawa Senators defeat the New York Rangers 4 games to 2

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
On the Zibby-Brassard matchup, I think Ottawa got what it needed from Brassard.

I don't think Zibby would have given us the push that Brass did through the come-from-behind games.

That said, Zibby did show up and played to his potential for three of the games that I can remember. He's getting a bit more consistently aggressive and assertive, which is key for him to be a very good NHL centreman. I think the Rangers will get good value out of Zibby going forward.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Washington and Pittsburgh are probably licking their chops to get into the ECF. Ottawa seems like an easy matchup.

Well if either of them are doing that they are probably going to lose the series.

I guarantee you that no player or coach is thinking that about Ottawa. They know that to win they are going to need to play well and finish out every game because the Sens will not quit. They need to take advantage of opportunities because Ottawa is not going to give up a lot of them and Anderson is as good as any goalie if he is "on". They need to finish every check and never get sloppy or players like Karlsson, Hoffman, Turris, Pageau, Stone will take advantage and score.

Ottawa played well against the Caps and Pens this season and neither team has an answer for Karlsson.

Anyone thinking that they will take Ottawa lightly is foolish. Fans can believe whatever they want but the actually teams know that if they don't bring their A game they will lose the series. Period.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I waited until this morning to post this, question for Rangers fans, was there really no better option. ..while down a goal late in the game than Girardi? It seemed like he was on for the last 5 minutes of the game.

Dagwood

Oct 21, 2005
Ottawa
Chris Neil arguably saved the day.

Glass was taking liberties on all of Ottawa's skilled players. As soon as Neil beat the **** out of him, Glass was scared and ineffective. Guys like Karlsson and Turris took over and ended the series.

I agree 100%. He alone made our players bigger and fearless. After Glass pounded Turris in gm 4 and Niel took care of it Gm5., Turris was all over Glass knowing full well Glass suddenly became gun shy.

Dagwood

Oct 21, 2005
Ottawa
What's up with Neil during fights often trying to roughly rip the helmet of his opponents head while keeping his own, is this a trademark of him?

Is this something you normally try to do in hockey fights, why, you are only trying to do this if your opponent wearing a wisor... or it doesn't matter?

Sorry, I'm a Swede and we don't have much fighting in Swedish hockey. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpsoLGhQvsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inZ3nm305Ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UalcpC5NCWI

Better that than to bust up your hands pounding on plastic no?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I waited until this morning to post this, question for Rangers fans, was there really no better option. ..while down a goal late in the game than Girardi? It seemed like he was on for the last 5 minutes of the game.

We do have better options than that. AV is just an idiot when it comes to deployment.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wow look at them Sens go! It's the only team in our Conference that I wouldn't mind winning the Cup. Their fans are kinda... likeable. It feels odd to say that. :D
Congratulations!!!!! Keep up with the good job!!!

We're only kinda likeable, but it's really just a trap. At some point, we'll come to you with some hard luck story asking if we can crash at your place for a bit until things calm down, then once we're there, we'll start taking over the place, leaving dishes in the living room with a bit of milk and soggy cereal at the bottom of bowls, and dirty socks on the floor in the kitchen for some reason. You'll have a hard time getting us out, but you'll never be able to get the smell out...

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
"Sens can't make it to the playoffs"

...followed by "Sens won't make it past the Bruins"

...followed by "No way the Sens get past the Rangers"

...followed by "Sens will be an easy ECF matchup for the Pens or Caps"

The embarrassing comments never end, im not sure where some posters even get off saying **** like this. It's as if the Sens have to be one of the best teams of all-time on paper to deserve the spot that they've earned. They're a fantastic team, ECF bound and in 6 games over a good Rangers team.

Best D man in the league right now, healthy forward depth and a capable goalie.

They can go toe to toe with anyone East or West.

Good luck Sens!

Last edited:

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
What is wrong with my opinion of the Rangers being better in Games 1/2/5 and absolutely dominating 3/4? You don't have to be the better team to win the series, as proven by this one. Good luck to Ottawa. The Rangers have won many series in the past while being the worse team. In this series they were the better team but lost. It goes both ways. It happens.

I'm not picking a fight and I enjoyed your posts all through the series, but I must object. Hank was miraculous in game 1, especially in the 21-shot barrage in the first period. Sens should have won that one about 5-1. Game 5 was even. And despite the physical thrashing they took in game 3, the Senators were competitive except for some Keystone Kops antics on their part: Anderson getting lost for one GA, Brassard going for a change and leaving Zuccarello alone in the slot, guys bumping into each other to set up another, great hilarity all round.
I was very impressed with our old friend Zibby. He never showed this much sustained intensity as a Senator. He's a keeper.

Last edited:

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Congrats to Sens fans on a well played series. They made more plays and executed better down the stretch of games. I'll be rooting for you guys no matter who you play in the ECF :)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Washington and Pittsburgh are probably licking their chops to get into the ECF. Ottawa seems like an easy matchup.

I know regular season is one thing but in January when the caps were playing some of their best hockey. They played the sens 3 times and scored just 3 goals.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Congrats to Sens fans on a well played series. They made more plays and executed better down the stretch of games. I'll be rooting for you guys no matter who you play in the ECF :)

Congrats to the Rangers too on a good hard fought series. Ranger fans are the classiest on these boards. Your post is a great example of this.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
What's up with Neil during fights often trying to roughly rip the helmet of his opponents head while keeping his own, is this a trademark of him?

Is this something you normally try to do in hockey fights, why, you are only trying to do this if your opponent wearing a wisor... or it doesn't matter?

Sorry, I'm a Swede and we don't have much fighting in Swedish hockey. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpsoLGhQvsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inZ3nm305Ro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UalcpC5NCWI

My guess would be that he doesnt want to nick up his knuckles if possible by striking the helmet. I believe if a player takes his helmet off himself prior to fighting its a penalty.

Playing the way Glass was it was to be expected...similar to Boyle in the 2012 series.

Sens played well and should match up decently at this stage with either wash or pitt.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Grab a Molson, welcome to the bandwagon

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
My guess would be that he doesnt want to nick up his knuckles if possible by striking the helmet. I believe if a player takes his helmet off himself prior to fighting its a penalty.

Playing the way Glass was it was to be expected...similar to Boyle in the 2012 series.

Sens played well and should match up decently at this stage with either wash or pitt.

Oh, it's ok to roughly ripping of the helmet and throwing it away from an opponent "Chris Neil style" but not taking off your own helmet prior to fighting?

I assume both giving penalties? ;)

Hmmm, I would be afraid Chris ripping my ****ing head of the rough way he is doing it sometimes.

He is wild guy that's for sure, respect for fighting Chara. ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaY4UvMgvzg

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oh, it's ok to roughly ripping of the helmet and throwing it away from an opponent "Chris Neil style" but not taking off your own helmet prior to fighting?

I assume both giving penalties? ;)

Hmmm, I would be afraid Chris ripping my ****ing head of the rough way he is doing it sometimes.

NHL doesn't want them taking the helmets off prior in case they fall to the ice and bash their heads in (concussion lawsuits after all) but if it comes off naturally in a fight, it's fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad