Pre-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 2 7:08 PM - BRUINS (1) vs Tampa Bay (0) - NBCSN, CBC, SN4K, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
If Boston takes tonight they have to ask themselves if they give Vlad a chance tomorrow or just ride the wave. Halak gets burnt out or hurt and you have to roll him anyway, better to try him in a game where both teams are tired and one is playing desperate hockey. Don't want to focus too much on tomorrow when today still hasn't started but I think a few things have to happen in order for Vlad to come in tomorrow. 0-2 goals against Halak and a win and I think he plays again tomorrow, anything more than that with a win I think you give Vlad the chance and see what the kid can do. If they lose, coin flip :sarcasm:

Reactions: Gordoff

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
As much as the Tampa Bay Lightning are smarting from their 3-2 loss to the Boston Bruins to open their Eastern Conference semifinal series, they head into Tuesday's Game 2 in Toronto believing they remain in control of their destiny.

Sunday's loss was reminiscent of the way their series with the Bruins two years ago started, and Tampa Bay regrouped to win the next four games and the series.

And the way the Lightning controlled play for most of the final two periods of the series opener should prove they have everything needed to go toe-to-toe with the Bruins.

"When you shrink the game to 40 minutes, it's going to be tough on you," coach Jon Cooper said. "I liked a lot of the way our game progressed, but if we're not going to manage the puck the way we did for much of the Columbus series, it'll be tough for us. You can't start games the way we did. It put us on our heels and shortened the game."

The Bruins staked themselves to a 3-0 lead but Tampa Bay - thanks to a pair of goals by defenseman Victor Hedman - had a chance to draw even before time expired.

"It got better as the game went on, but I still think overall we were a lot sloppier than we normally are," said forward Tyler Johnson. "We've got to make a few more plays tape to tape, not rush things like we were. At the beginning, I don't think we had our feet into it. I don't think we were battling and competing hard enough. ... The second and third periods were more like our normal games, but we still have a lot more to give."

The Bruins, well aware of how things shook out two years ago as well as how close the Lightning came to forcing overtime, have more than enough veteran experience to know what to expect next time the puck drops.

Boosting their confidence is the play of goaltender Jaroslav Halak, who was placed front and center after No. 1 one goalie Tuukka Rask left the team early in their opening round series. In four games since stepping into the breach, Halak - who made 35 saves on Sunday - has recorded four victories.

"When they come, they have their chances," said forward Charlie Coyle. "Jaro is there to shut the door on a number of good chances to keep us ahead. Could be a totally different game. We also have so much confidence in him."

Of course, it doesn't hurt when you have arguably the league's best line in Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak. They were lights out in the opener, capped by Marchand's game-winning goal created by Bergeron stealing a puck and getting it to Pastrnak, who promptly slipped a seeing-eye pass for a tap-in tally.

"When our offensive players are doing that, we're going to be hard to stop because they can finish some plays," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "What I'm learning in this league is it's a second-effort league. There's very few guys that are that good that (they) don't need second effort on pucks. Our guys do it very well, our top guys, and now it's bleeding into the middle guys to understand that."

This is very good to hear. Halak is so important to this team and it's nice they have confidence in him. Should be a great series.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Yeah, let's have the first action a goalie has ever seen in the NHL be a pivotal Game 3 against a hungry team that has been the #1 offense in the league each of the last 3 seasons. You ride or die with Halak, I see no other legitimate option unless you're down like 3-0 in a series and want to pull something drastic.
I wouldn't do it as well. But I wouldn't be shocked he played well. Ask yourself this question,

Do I play Valdar because I want Halak rested or do I play him because he gives me a better chance of winning game three over Halak.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I don't know, I recall watching the Bruins lose a playoff series once to Michael freakin' Leighton. Anything is possible. Didn't Vlader lead the AHL in GAA and SP?

I'm not saying I'm advocating playing Vlader in order to spell Halak, just that the gap between the two might not be as massive as one would think.
That may be true, but after watching Subban play dodgeball with the puck I’m terrified of ever starting a rookie again.

In any game. Ever. That was scarring.

Reactions: BMC and BruinDust

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Just my .02- I don't think overload is a problem for Halak, I think he's one of those goaltenders the more he works the better he plays. What I worry about is some TB asshole injuring him, then the Bruins would have no choice but to throw Vlader into the deep end and pray that he can swim.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Just my .02- I don't think overload is a problem for Halak, I think he's one of those goaltenders the more he works the better he plays. What I worry about is some TB asshole injuring him, then the Bruins would have no choice but to throw Vlader into the deep end and pray that he can swim.
They signed him for three years . I wouldn't do it but sometimes when teams don't have a book on a goaltender it could be to his advantage.

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Is Coburn any good ? Who does he compare to on the Bruins roster ? Lauzon ?
35 yrs old. 40 games played this season. 1 goal, 3 assists 16 PIM and averaged 14:03 TOI in those 40 games.

Moore is the comparable Bruins player who had similar numbers in 16 less games coming off of major shoulder surgery. Moore also played over 2 more minutes a game than Coburn

Reactions: gillesgilbert

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can't wait. I know @Alicat has included a little something in it that I think everyone will enjoy :)

@BMC - Just to give you a heads up

4e39343218491379f7f650922a3e273edb-30-bingocards1.w710.png

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
i'm no fan of Doc, but i prefer him to Jim Hughson who has been calling the B's games on Sportsnet. My main gripe is minor, but goddamn does it drive me bonkers.

He pronounces Kuraly as "Core-elli" not "Kerr-alley"

Reactions: lopey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: