Pre-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 2 7:08 PM - BRUINS (1) vs Tampa Bay (0) - NBCSN, CBC, SN4K, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-8-24_22-53-55.png

upload_2020-8-24_22-54-18.png

As much as the Tampa Bay Lightning are smarting from their 3-2 loss to the Boston Bruins to open their Eastern Conference semifinal series, they head into Tuesday's Game 2 in Toronto believing they remain in control of their destiny.

Sunday's loss was reminiscent of the way their series with the Bruins two years ago started, and Tampa Bay regrouped to win the next four games and the series.

And the way the Lightning controlled play for most of the final two periods of the series opener should prove they have everything needed to go toe-to-toe with the Bruins.

"When you shrink the game to 40 minutes, it's going to be tough on you," coach Jon Cooper said. "I liked a lot of the way our game progressed, but if we're not going to manage the puck the way we did for much of the Columbus series, it'll be tough for us. You can't start games the way we did. It put us on our heels and shortened the game."

The Bruins staked themselves to a 3-0 lead but Tampa Bay - thanks to a pair of goals by defenseman Victor Hedman - had a chance to draw even before time expired.

"It got better as the game went on, but I still think overall we were a lot sloppier than we normally are," said forward Tyler Johnson. "We've got to make a few more plays tape to tape, not rush things like we were. At the beginning, I don't think we had our feet into it. I don't think we were battling and competing hard enough. ... The second and third periods were more like our normal games, but we still have a lot more to give."

The Bruins, well aware of how things shook out two years ago as well as how close the Lightning came to forcing overtime, have more than enough veteran experience to know what to expect next time the puck drops.

Boosting their confidence is the play of goaltender Jaroslav Halak, who was placed front and center after No. 1 one goalie Tuukka Rask left the team early in their opening round series. In four games since stepping into the breach, Halak - who made 35 saves on Sunday - has recorded four victories.

"When they come, they have their chances," said forward Charlie Coyle. "Jaro is there to shut the door on a number of good chances to keep us ahead. Could be a totally different game. We also have so much confidence in him."

Of course, it doesn't hurt when you have arguably the league's best line in Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak. They were lights out in the opener, capped by Marchand's game-winning goal created by Bergeron stealing a puck and getting it to Pastrnak, who promptly slipped a seeing-eye pass for a tap-in tally.

"When our offensive players are doing that, we're going to be hard to stop because they can finish some plays," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "What I'm learning in this league is it's a second-effort league. There's very few guys that are that good that (they) don't need second effort on pucks. Our guys do it very well, our top guys, and now it's bleeding into the middle guys to understand that."

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Bruins are not very good at Game 2s, unless they are playing the Leafs. They lost G2 against the Canes, and last year they lost G2 against the Blues and the Blue Jackets. Go back further and they lost G2 to Tampa last time too.

Time to change that record. Don't give the Bolts an early re-entry into the series. They and most of the media seem to believe they were the better team for the last 40 mins. They're wrong - the 2nd period was fairly even and the Bs dominated the 3rd until one bad play and a little luck gave Tampa a sniff and it was only then that Boston lost their nerve and shape a bit. So go out and get straight back to work. We know Tampa are going to come out hard and look to be physical, so be ready for it. I still think the Lightning are mentally fragile. Resist the initial push and put them back on their heels and it could really put the Bruins in a good place to take a stranglehold on the series.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Keep the momentum going! I definitely expect Tampa will be more physical tonight and more cheap stuff will follow. Must be dialed in from the beginning. This is the first of back to back games. This would be a big one if they can get it.

Go Bruins !!
LFG !!!!

Reactions: lopey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Going up 2-0 would be huge. Hopefully we can bury more chances vs Vasi and not have have such a close finish.

Bold prediction.... both ANH boys score tonight

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Please have a statement game tonight.
Just watched the early conn smythe predictions on TSN and they picked someone from Vegas, Col, Dal, Philly, TB, Isl.
Left off Bruins and Nucks, guess they're writing us off.
LFG

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Thinking Headman will be firing shots off McAvoy all night long....

Seriously the bolts will be taking shots from everywhere hoping for rebounds.

Hoping to see one of Studnicka or Lindholm in for Ritchie.

Reactions: BMC

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Thinking Headman will be firing shots off McAvoy all night long....

Seriously the bolts will be taking shots from everywhere hoping for rebounds.

Hoping to see one of Studnicka or Lindholm in for Ritchie.
I don’t love Ritchie yet, but I would roll with the same lineup. Changes will be needed eventually.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The Bruins can definitely hang with Tampa. We’ve established that. I’m never worried about talent or Xs and Os with this team. What always worries me about the Bruins is the mental aspect of the game - the intangibles.

The Bruins can win tonight if the stay focused and DO NOT TAKE THEIR FOOT OFF THE GAS. They will need to bring the nasty tonight because you know Tampa will. Tampa doesn’t usually roll over and quit, so the Bruins need to establish pressure and sustain it.

I know... easier said than done. The leaders need to step up, and it’s going to take a full 60 minutes to win this game.

Going up 2-0 will force Tampa to take more chances, and that will cause them to make mistakes. If the Bruins can capitalize on those mistakes, they can finish off the Lightning in a shorter series. Tonight’s game is huge, and could very likely be the difference between a shorter series versus a seven-game slugfest where the winner limps into the Conference Final.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
What all this I hear about Tampa being the better team in game 1? Are you kidding? They outshot the Bruins in period 2 true, but they were down 2 goals so desperation kicked in. They were vastly outplayed in the 3rd. The two goals scored by Hedman, while alarming were pure fluke goals. If their fans and the media and their coach are so hung up on the “what-if’s”, what if Pasta didn’t hit the post twice and Vasilevsky didn’t rob McAvoy or Kase?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
The D feels a bit thin IMO.

I hope Jaro stays good. This must feel good for him

Thin ? Really ?
On the bench they have Moore and Lauzon.
Moore very seasoned vet, would play in bottom 4 for 95% of the other teams in the nhl.
Lauzon, up and coming. Not really out of place in the NHL.
Then you have little Z. Not much nhl experience but got his toes wet. Hopefully no injuries on D, but the replacements are serviceable.

Reactions: Gordoff

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Bruins powerplay is the best of all teams remaining. The teams above them in the standings have all gone home

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Zach Bogosian doesn't even crack the line-up of the Bruins, meanwhile he's paired up with Hedman.
Won't be shocked to see him slide down tonight if McDonagh can't play

I inserted Brayden Coburn in fro McDonagh on my line up graphic because he's a game time decision.

Jeremy Lauzon and John Moore are better than him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad