Pre-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 2 7:08 PM - BRUINS (1) vs Tampa Bay (0) - NBCSN, CBC, SN4K, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Games like this become key in terms of workload for Halak.

You go up 2-0, you stand the chance to be able to close it out in 4 or 5.

You allow Tampa to even this series, you’re looking at a 6 or 7 game set, win or lose.

Hey, Tampa’s good so maybe it’s inevitable.

Still, those back to backs loom large and the heavy workload has to be a concern with Halak.

I’m not sure they would have spelled Tuukka deeper in the playoffs, but the 1/1B tandem is a luxury they no longer have.

All the more reason to have a controlled sense of urgency coming out of the gates tonight and look to take a stranglehold on this thing.

The downgrade from Rask to Halak is significant but can be overcome - see the last 3 or 4 games. But the downgrade from Halak to Vladar is cataclysmic. I had an "In Bruce We Trust" attitude about any B2Bs when it was Rask/Halak - there were good arguments for spelling Rask and there are good arguments for pushing him, and Cassidy knows when Rask can do a B2B. But that option is gone considering Vladar has no NHL experience - barring injury it's time for back-to-back Halak.

I'd really love this series to be closed in 5. I assume there will be B2Bs in the ECF - and possibly the SCF if the conferences both go to 6 or 7. THe fewer games now the better.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Krejci plays cat and mouse along the high wall on the PP as well as anyone this side of Alexei Kovalev. Patience is a Terry Virtue at that spot of which Pasta had none. He's much better freewheeling out of the corner down low and making the bang bang play in the slot. Krejci is much more adept at playing the waiting game.
I've always been impressed with Cassidy's ability to slightly change things up around the primary 4 (Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Krug). The DeBrusk/Heinen trade-off was always just kind of a feel for him where one guy was going or hungrier. Their role was the same though, they were only there for puck retrieval really. As the season went on he was introducing Coyle on that unit a lot more and now has Krejci there. There's just so much more body movement when Krejci is there, particularly between Krejci, Marchand and Krug. It really gives the PP a completely different look and keeps them from being stagnant.

To end the 2016/17 season under Cassidy the PP was 3rd in the league, and in the 3 seasons since it's been 4th, 3rd and 2nd, along with connecting at an absurd rate in the 2018 and 2019 playoffs. I think he could easily rest on his laurels here and go with a more routine set-up with JDB parked in front of the net, but he really has his finger on the pulse to change things up.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The downgrade from Rask to Halak is significant but can be overcome - see the last 3 or 4 games. But the downgrade from Halak to Vladar is cataclysmic. I had an "In Bruce We Trust" attitude about any B2Bs when it was Rask/Halak - there were good arguments for spelling Rask and there are good arguments for pushing him, and Cassidy knows when Rask can do a B2B. But that option is gone considering Vladar has no NHL experience - barring injury it's time for back-to-back Halak.

I'd really love this series to be closed in 5. I assume there will be B2Bs in the ECF - and possibly the SCF if the conferences both go to 6 or 7. THe fewer games now the better.

I don't know, I recall watching the Bruins lose a playoff series once to Michael freakin' Leighton. Anything is possible. Didn't Vlader lead the AHL in GAA and SP?

I'm not saying I'm advocating playing Vlader in order to spell Halak, just that the gap between the two might not be as massive as one would think.

Reactions: Gordoff

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, let's have the first action a goalie has ever seen in the NHL be a pivotal Game 3 against a hungry team that has been the #1 offense in the league each of the last 3 seasons. You ride or die with Halak, I see no other legitimate option unless you're down like 3-0 in a series and want to pull something drastic.

bardown23

Live for hockey
Aug 10, 2012
Yeah, let's have the first action a goalie has ever seen in the NHL be a pivotal Game 3 against a hungry team that has been the #1 offense in the league each of the last 3 seasons. You ride or die with Halak, I see no other legitimate option unless you're down like 3-0 in a series and want to pull something drastic.
You literally can’t overwork Halak. He’ll get burnt out by the end of the series or later in the playoffs. You have to have trust in all your players to come in and do the job.

Reactions: Gordoff

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
You literally can’t overwork Halak. He’ll get burnt out by the end of the series or later in the playoffs. You have to have trust all your players to come in and do the job.
No way Vlader plays unless Halak craps the bed in this game and Vlader comes in for relief. Halak is playing all games IMO, can't play a goalie who has no NHL experience to the wolves.

Reactions: BAD BOY

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
upload_2020-8-25_12-24-46.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad