GDT: ECSF Game 1: Carolina Hurricanes vs. YOUR NEW JERSEY DEVILS, 7PM ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Yeah the Devils took advantage of the Rangers fans by jacking up prices and they pretty much admitted that was the case. Can't exactly LOWER prices either as the rounds go on. I think game 3 is an easy sellout but if we're down 3-0 or something I think there will be some empty seats.

If we make it to the conference finals and it's Florida, that might be a ticket sales problem. Toronto would be fine.

Reactions: HBK27

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I honestly felt the same way as the players probably did yesterday. Felt like we couldn't even celebrate the last series since we just started this one.

I think it's just the case of a team that was well rested and prepared for us as an opponent vs. a team who just laid it out for a Game 7 and had one day to prepare for their opponent. Carolina is very much not the Rangers in terms of style of play. They can skate with us, they defend well especially on the rush (our strength), they forecheck heavily and finish their checks. Not to mention, if we thought our PP struggled overall, I think we're going to be pulling our hair out in this one. I couldn't believe that stat that was read last night about going 0-13 against them on the PP this year with 4 shorties against. And right on cue, Aho almost makes it 5 if it weren't for Schmid.

If we can find a way to take the next game and come back even, it will be massive. I do believe we can play with these guys, we've seen it during the regular season. We have to grind a bit harder for those puck battles and be sure to test whoever is in net way more often than we did last night.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Regarding tickets - Don’t get this chance e often . Might be something where you remember it for a lifetime .
I live on the other side of the continent so I cannot go to home games but when the Devils come to Calgary and Edmonton , I say screw it and get as hood as tickets as I can because I only get the opportunity to see the Devils live once a year .
I completely get it though that the current prices are a rip off , just how I justify paying lots of money for a ticket .

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm with you on Graves. Maybe I'm biased, but I really like Graves style. He is gritty, reliable and there is the chance of those occasional big goals.

I don't think we see Luke unless serie goes 0-3 with ugly losses.
I just don't see sitting a veteran who has played a key defensive role all season long, to very good results, for a kid with a couple games of experience. Especially a couple games after winning the first round with said veteran in the lineup.

I know Luke is ultra talented, but there is more to this the just respective talent levels.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I honestly felt the same way as the players probably did yesterday. Felt like we couldn't even celebrate the last series since we just started this one.

I think it's just the case of a team that was well rested and prepared for us as an opponent vs. a team who just laid it out for a Game 7 and had one day to prepare for their opponent. Carolina is very much not the Rangers in terms of style of play. They can skate with us, they defend well especially on the rush (our strength), they forecheck heavily and finish their checks. Not to mention, if we thought our PP struggled overall, I think we're going to be pulling our hair out in this one. I couldn't believe that stat that was read last night about going 0-13 against them on the PP this year with 4 shorties against. And right on cue, Aho almost makes it 5 if it weren't for Schmid.

If we can find a way to take the next game and come back even, it will be massive. I do believe we can play with these guys, we've seen it during the regular season. We have to grind a bit harder for those puck battles and be sure to test whoever is in net way more often than we did last night.
we absolutely can play with them, that 3-0 win late in the season was dominant. they Canes out shot and shot-attempted us by a wide margin but they were just chucking everything from the exterior.

I know Rod the bod is a great coach and they play a tremendous system, but if our stars can't outplay their remaining star (Aho, I don't consider Necas or Jarvis stars yet), then we don't deserve to win the series.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Seems messed up that the league doesn't at least give teams 2 days in between a series. I get that for TV they want to keep the momentum going and all, but with different start dates in round 1 even if Carolina had gone 7 games with the Islanders they still would've had 2 days off between the two series since they started a day earlier than us after every team had several days off following the regular season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Honestly need Jesper Bratt to either do something or accept the fact that he's a 6.5 million player and tell his agent to sign a deal as fast as possible.
More then just Bratt. xGF% is cool and all, but Nico, Tatar, Meier when he get's back in, Hughes even, these guys need to start putting pucks in the net.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Islander fans are rooting for the Devils to do what they have shown they can do.
Not because we lost to the Canes (an annoying team to play against) but there is no real ill will among fan bases. Devils didn't exist when the Isles were great and since the move to NJ the Devils and Isles were on opposite situations with the Devs being ascendant and winning Cups and the Islanders sucking. When we were good in '92-93 and later under Trotz, Devs were rebuilding. Don't think we ever met in the playoffs.
I live in NJ and am very impressed by their young speedy team. So fun to watch. Watching every game and have loads of confidence that this is a winnable series.
Go Devs.

Not all of us feel this way. Personall I can't stand the Islanders nor their fans. Just as obnoxious as rangers fans but a different shade of blue. I hate this fake bs buddy system people post about just cause we both hate the rangers.

The also played 1 series in the opening round of 88 that the Devils won in 6.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Yeah, none of the big dogs have been particularly dangerous offensively with any type of consistency going back to last series.

Yeah nice plays and moments, but they haven’t been able to sustain anything

Reactions: Cheddabombs

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017

Our PP has to get it together... it's been horrible. Special teams is so important in the playoffs and all the other teams look dangerous on the man advantage... we don't.. our 2nd unit has been better than the 1st and that's not saying much

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I know people want Graves to be one to sit if they give Luke a chance, but I won't be surprised if it's Bahl. Graves hasn't played well individually and Marino has picked up a massive share of the load for that pairing, but he plays a pretty significant role time wise right now.

I really would like to avoid going 11 and 7. And for what it's worth, the 4th line was our best line last night.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I know people want Graves to be one to sit if they give Luke a chance, but I won't be surprised if it's Bahl. Graves hasn't played well individually and Marino has picked up a massive share of the load for that pairing, but he plays a pretty significant role time wise right now.

I really would like to avoid going 11 and 7. And for what it's worth, the 4th line was our best line last night.
Promote Bahl and play him the second pairing minutes behind Siegs. This isn’t a scenario where they should be worrying about ‘Luke replacing Graves minutes’, let Bahl do that.

I’m with you that I think Bahl is more likely to come out and Smith is more likely to come in though, which is why I’ve been loath to scream play Luke or sit Graves, but Graves has been so bad the last couple of games it’s become noticeable and he looked too slow for the Canes last night.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Graves had the lowest TOI among defensemen last night:

Siegenthaler - 22:45
Hamilton - 21:14
Severson - 20:54
Marino - 18:37
Bahl - 17:36
Graves - 15:06

Might mean something, might not...

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Graves had the lowest TOI among defensemen last night:

Siegenthaler - 22:45
Hamilton - 21:14
Severson - 20:54
Marino - 18:37
Bahl - 17:36
Graves - 15:06

Might mean something, might not...
I think Ruff "micro-benched" him after that gaffe that led to Jarvis' goal.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'd probably sit Graves but not just for the Jarvis goal. That was pretty bad but shit happens. The biggest reason for me is how long he holds onto the puck in the defensive zone. The Canes are on the defense so fast, Graves is bound to have us hemmed in the zone for longer than needed because he just won't get rid of the puck.
This was especially noticeable during the Rangers series as well. He gets the puck below the goal line with no pressure and it's like someone unplugs his controller and doesn't plug it back in until the forechecker is within arms reach. It was infuriating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad