GDT: ECSF Game 1: Carolina Hurricanes vs. YOUR NEW JERSEY DEVILS, 7PM ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I would have actually been far more worried about selling out games if we had home ice in this series - Wednesday two nights after Game 7, a Game 2 at 8 PM (albeit on a Friday), Thursday and Monday late night as potential home games coming off a four home game Ranger series?

Having only two-three home games max with two weekend makes it easier for the Devils to get sellouts and justify keeping the prices high
I remember going to canes devils game 3 after the rangers sweep in 06. It was crazy how empty the building was

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Considering the first period they had the score really should’ve been 2-1 and a totally different hockey game. They were getting chances and Anderson isn’t igor so they will absolutely go in. Need Timo back in the lineup big time I wouldn’t make any other moves then that right now. If we go down 2-0 then put Luke in. Also schmid 100% all the way he only took him out to shake the team up and I think it worked they scored and played better.

Bratt my boy sucks!

I’m not worried either. I think losing 5-1 wakes them up
What's this now?

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
They have one Staal covering one Hughes, but they won't have a second Staal to cover the second Hughes.

7kiqqa.jpg

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I’m not worried that they won’t bring it for the rest of the series. It just sucks essentially giving away a game like that because it’s not something you can afford in a close series. If it’s tight the rest of the way, that game last night could be the difference.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
knew the game was going to be a letdown but im surprised how out of it they were right from the start.

oh well, definitely not time to hit the panic button or anything, let's see how they analyze the canes' system and make adjustments tomorrow. they're not playing against igor over there, but they made no effort to make it hard on the goalie and that's where timo is going to be a big difference maker.

if it's more of the same then i admit ill be a little worried

Reactions: Satans Hockey

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I remember going to canes devils game 3 after the rangers sweep in 06. It was crazy how empty the building was
We were not, and are still not, a 19K arena fan base.

We packed the place vs Tampa so I'm not worried about this series.

I do think the high ticket prices could be an issue if we go deep in these playoffs. The Rag's series set the bar too high.

Reactions: My3Sons

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
To me, what's the point of putting Haula and Palat on Jack's line if you're never going to chip it in? Just like the PP, I think too much is running through 86. You want to establish zone time so let them retrieve it and then Jack can find the seams. And the more our guys pull up along the half-wall off the entry, the less they seem to create. (I realize the lines may have been different last night once they were behind.)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well yea he’s not literally murdering them one by one, but he’s not been good. Marino/Graves as a pair were not good last series, and it wasn’t because of Marino.
If we play the xGF game he looks pretty good.

The actual GF is pretty ugly though.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Has Hughes's inability to stay on his skates been discussed? I don't know if that is him trying too hard or what, but it's been notable.

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
We were not, and are still not, a 19K arena fan base.

We packed the place vs Tampa so I'm not worried about this series.

I do think the high ticket prices could be an issue if we go deep in these playoffs. The Rag's series set the bar too high.

High ticket prices are definitely an issue. Round 1 was priced for a Devils-Rangers matchup, knowing Ranger fans snatching up tickets would justify the high cost.

Once the prices were set for round 1, I guess they couldn't bring themselves to drop them for round 2.

Hopefully the come down on the secondary market though.

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
To me, what's the point of putting Haula and Palat on Jack's line if you're never going to chip it in? Just like the PP, I think too much is running through 86. You want to establish zone time so let them retrieve it and then Jack can find the seams. And the more our guys pull up along the half-wall off the entry, the less they seem to create. (I realize the lines may have been different last night once they were behind.)
It's a catch 22 for sure. You want the puck on his stick as much as possible, but I think we may have reached a saturation point.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't want to make a panic move so early in the series, but I don't see much downside in getting Luke in for Graves. Yes, it'll hurt our PK slightly, but putting Severson in his place is not much of a downgrade. Graves' play has just been sub-par this postseason and against a tough defensive team like Carolina we need to generate more offense. Could also give a nice spark to Jack and the rest of the team. Really hope Ruff makes this move.

Also hope Meier is ready to go as Boqvist has been invisible.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
High ticket prices are definitely an issue. Round 1 was priced for a Devils-Rangers matchup, knowing Ranger fans snatching up tickets would justify the high cost.

Once the prices were set for round 1, I guess they couldn't bring themselves to drop them for round 2.

Hopefully the come down on the secondary market though.
We paid $300 per tick for Sunday's game. Obviously there is the inflation element, which my brain is still trying to come to grips with, but that price is absurd. This isn't the finals, this isn't the Rag's. I'm sure parking will be $50 or some BS too.

I wanted to wait to see if the price came down, but my brother jumped on em. The come down price will more likely happen for Tuesday nights game.

Reactions: HBK27

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It ducks we lost game 1 but look at the Oilers Knights game last night .
Same thing . Oilers did not know how to play against the Iniguts and their forecheck and got destroyed in the first period . Oilers slowly were able to adjust and as the game went along , looked like they somewhat got it figured out more .
Exact same as us . We haven’t seen that type of opponent and forecheck for a long time .
Adjustments will be made and I have faith that we can be way more effective. We showed signs of it as the game went along .
I have zero doubt that the effort and commitment will be there . It will ne a matter of if we can execute effectively enough .
Need to break out clean and quickly . Not get frustrated as the Canes are notorious for limiting puck possession . Need to capitalize when we get a chance . Put everything on net . No more deferring to passing . If yiu have a clean shot , take it .

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't want to make a panic move so early in the series, but I don't see much downside in getting Luke in for Graves. Yes, it'll hurt our PK slightly, but putting Severson in his place is not much of a downgrade. Graves' play has just been sub-par this postseason and against a tough defensive team like Carolina we need to generate more offense. Could also give a nice spark to Jack and the rest of the team. Really hope Ruff makes this move.

Also hope Meier is ready to go as Boqvist has been invisible.
Graves is on the top pair of our PK which has been a strength of this team all year long. Switching him out for a righty would likely have more then a slight effect.

True and the reality is probably somewhere in between, and I’m probably being too reactionary, but Hughes just adds something that Graves never has or will be able to.
And like I say above Graves has been the top pair of a PK which has been very good all year. Hughes ain't bringing that.

We did sit Sieg's a game, so Graves getting sat wouldn't be shocking, but given Smith can handle(at least in theory) the defensive responsibilites, where as Hughes would be highly questionable, I'd be pretty surprised if it were to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aurinko and HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
We paid $300 per tick for Sunday's game. Obviously there is the inflation element, which my brain is still trying to come to grips with, but that price is absurd. This isn't the finals, this isn't the Rag's. I'm sure parking will be $50 or some BS too.

I wanted to wait to see if the price came down, but my brother jumped on em. The come down price will more likely happen for Tuesday nights game.

Yeah, I just can't justify that on my end - especially when you never know when a team will lay a complete egg at home like they did in the first two games of the Rangers series. I'm really kicking myself now for not grabbing game 7 tickets against the Rangers which I could've gotten for ~$250 or so at one point and bringing my oldest son to the game as he's really gotten into watching games this postseason, whereas my younger son isn't there just yet. But was hoping to bring both of them and shelling out ~$700-$800 when all is said and done at the end of the night for everything is a tough pill to swallow.

Still seems like there are a fair amount of unsold tickets (not resale) on TM for Sunday's game, which should be rather attractive being a 3:30 start and all - I think that's a good sign that prices will come down, but who knows. I'm going to hold out until Tuesday and see how prices look for that night.

Tickets for last night's game in Carolina were going for $65 pre-fees on StubHub, so Devils tickets are going for 3x the amount this series which is insane. I get that Carolina has had many more playoff games recently and we're just getting back, but...damn. At least if you're shelling out top dollar for something like a concert you know you're going to get a great show. Sports are tough, as dropping a ton of money on a shitty game just makes the whole thing so much worse.

The good thing is that there should at least be many, many more opportunities in the upcoming years for playoff tickets and I am happy to see the team doing well and the support from the fanbase.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I just can't justify that on my end - especially when you never know when a team will lay a complete egg at home like they did in the first two games of the Rangers series. I'm really kicking myself now for not grabbing game 7 tickets against the Rangers which I could've gotten for ~$250 or so at one point and bringing my oldest son to the game as he's really gotten into watching games this postseason, whereas my younger son isn't there just yet. But was hoping to bring both of them and shelling out ~$700-$800 when all is said and done at the end of the night for everything is a tough pill to swallow.

Still seems like there are a fair amount of unsold tickets (not resale) on TM for Sunday's game, which should be rather attractive being a 3:30 start and all - I think that's a good sign that prices will come down, but who knows. I'm going to hold out until Tuesday and see how prices look for that night.

Tickets for last night's game in Carolina were going for $65 pre-fees on StubHub, so Devils tickets are going for 3x the amount this series which is insane. I get that Carolina has had many more playoff games recently and we're just getting back, but...damn. At least if you're shelling out top dollar for something like a concert you know you're going to get a great show. Sports are tough, as dropping a ton of money on a shitty game just makes the whole thing so much worse.

The good thing is that there should at least be many, many more opportunities in the upcoming years for playoff tickets and I am happy to see the team doing well and the support from the fanbase.
I'm a grown ass man, but my Mom is buying the tix for us. So yeah, I'm with ya.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Graves is on the top pair of our PK which has been a strength of this team all year long. Switching him out for a righty would like have more then a slight effect.

And like I say above Graves has been the top pair of a PK which has been very good all year. Hughes ain't bringing that.

We did sit Sieg's a game, so Graves getting sat wouldn't be shocking, but given Smith can handle(at least in theory) the defensive responsibilites, where as Hughes would be highly questionable, I'd be pretty surprised if it were to happen.

I'm with you on Graves. Maybe I'm biased, but I really like Graves style. He is gritty, reliable and there is the chance of those occasional big goals.

I don't think we see Luke unless serie goes 0-3 with ugly losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad