Pre-Game Talk: ECSF/ACF GAME 6 - Goodbye Columbus???

Which team wins Game 6?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hello life, Goodbye Columbus
I've got a feelin' that you're gonna hear from us
You're gonna know that we've taken the world by surprise
Got that look in our eyes
Its a lucky day, just for changin'
Leavin' the old world behind
Lucky day for walkin' a new road

It's there so end this series NOW

Historically the Bruins have a checkered history in series they have a 3-2 lead going to a Game 6 on the road and then losing Game 7 in Boston.

2014 Montreal
2010 Philadelphia
2004 Montreal
1971 Montreal

What happened in the past should not factor with today's team and players but it is simply a reminder that winning a Game 7 at home is not a sure thing.

I hope the Bruins treat Game 6 as an elimination game because it is for the 1st Ohio Battery.

:bruins:sc09::cbj

upload_2019-5-5_15-39-13.png

upload_2019-5-5_15-39-45.png

upload_2019-5-5_15-40-20.png

Columbus Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella was fixated on a potential Game 7 of his team's Eastern Conference second-round series mere minutes after the conclusion of Game 5.

As for the immediate matter of Game 6, Tortorella's Blue Jackets will need to stave off elimination on Monday night when they host the Boston Bruins.

"Things happen for a reason. And I truly believe that. We'll be back here for Game 7," Tortorella said shortly after David Pastrnak capped a two-goal performance by scoring with 1:28 remaining in the third period of the Bruins' 4-3 win in Boston on Saturday.

When asked what gives him that confidence, the 60-year-old bench boss said "because we will."

The Bruins may have something to say about Tortorella's travel plans, even if the Bruins' Brad Marchand and Pastrnak offered no response when informed of the coach's comments.

Pastrnak has done his talking in the last two games of the series, scoring three goals after mustering just one -- off his skate -- in the first three.

"It's nice to score goals. (We) had a good game as a line, picked each other up when it's the most needed," said the 22-year-old Pastrnak, who joined linemates Marchand (one goal, two assists) and Patrice Bergeron (assist) in totaling six points on Saturday.

Marchand, who is rarely at a loss for words, had plenty at his disposal when talking about Pastrnak.

"It's inevitable. You get those opportunities every game, they're going to go in. He's done it all year," the 30-year-old Marchand said. "He's been huge for our group. He continues to be. These are the things we've come to expect out of him. Show up in the big moments and continue what he does."

Boston's top line has accounted for 11 points (six goals, five assists) in the past two contests, erasing its team's 2-1 series deficit to push Columbus to the brink of elimination.

"They break through the other night and now they're feeling good about themselves," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said of his top line. "They're dominant when they're on. And when they're feeling it, it's a tall task for the other team."

Defenseman Seth Jones scored to ignite the Blue Jackets' three-goal surge in a 3:25 span of the third period, giving him points in six of nine postseason games.

In-season trade acquisition Matt Duchene boosted his point total to 10 (five goals, five assists) after assisting on former Ottawa teammate Ryan Dzingel's tally.

Artemi Panarin set up defenseman Dean Kukan's game-tying goal with 6:02 remaining in the third period on Saturday to push his point total to a team-leading 11 (five goals, six assists).

Dzingel and Kukan's goals gave Columbus 16 different players who have scored this postseason.

Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno was pleased with his team ratcheting up its play in the third period.

"If anything, I'd just say it's our mentality, it's the way we pressed," the 31-year-old Foligno said. "That has to be the way we play the whole game."

Columbus has won three of its four postseason games at Nationwide Arena this spring, while Boston is 3-2 on the road in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBA has traditionally trounced the NHL in playoff ratings but this year the gap is narrowing.

upload_2019-5-5_16-24-26.png

The unexpected drama of the Kentucky Derby provided a large lead-in audience for Columbus-Boston Game 5 on NBC. The result was a 3.22 overnight rating, the second-highest overnight for a Stanley Cup Playoff game on record (since 1994), excluding Stanley Cup Final games. Blue Jackets-Bruins Game 5 trails only a 3.27 overnight rating for Chicago-Anaheim in 2015, which was a Game 7 of the Western Conference Final, among non-Stanley Cup Final games. Last night’s game was up 12% vs. last year’s Pittsburgh-Washington Game 5 (2.87), which also led out of the Kentucky Derby.

Columbus delivered a 15.2 local rating for Game 5, NBC Sports’ highest rating on record for an NHL game in the market. Boston scored a 15.1 rating.

Last night’s late Stanley Cup Playoff Game 5 between Colorado and San Jose delivered a 0.75 overnight rating, up 75% vs. the comparable game last year (Winnipeg-Nashville; 0.58).

Locally, Denver delivered a 9.1 rating, NBC Sports’ highest rating on record for an NHL game in the market. San Jose produced a 3.4 rating.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Historically the Bruins have a checkered history in series they have a 3-2 lead going to a Game 6 on the road and then losing Game 7 in Boston.

2014 Montreal
2010 Philadelphia
2009 Carolina
2004 Montreal
1971 Montreal

The Bruins trailed 3-1 against Carolina in '09

Reactions: Comfort Eagle

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I am not a Tort lover at all. He goes way over the line sometimes - I can't forget the Canucks/Flames brawl. Those emotions have to be kept in check if you're an adult. And I'm not a fan of his petulance in dealing with the reporters at the start of the video...they have a job to do, as does he. Just suck it up, acknowledge it, and move on, without unnecessary bickering.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with what he said about game 7. What's the alternative? "I hope to be back here for game 7?" Nearly the same thing. Saying, "I truly believe that; we'll be back here for game 7" isn't an example of how he can be obnoxious...he's stating his goal. Of COURSE he believes he'll be back here for game 7 (and win it) - why else would they even bother playing? And, of course the Bruins believe the same thing about themselves. That's why we play the games.

I just hope we can shut up cannon-deaf Dubinsky and everyone in Nationwide once and for all tomorrow.

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Part of me feels like Columbus is already looking forward to Game 7.

MAYBE the Bruins can use that to their advantage if they jump out early and put the Blue Jackets in the hole. Deflate the Jackets and the crowd early, and choke them out.

The first couple of goals will be critical. If the Bruins can jump out 2-0, I think Columbus might roll over. We’ll see.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BTW many of you were outraged NBC stayed with the Kentucky Derby

The ratings tell you why

TOP METERED MARKETS FOR 2019 KENTUCKY DERBY (Race Portion)
1.Louisville39.5/69
2.Cincinnati20.3/38
3.Ft. Myers19.4/37
4.Indianapolis18.6/34
5.Knoxville17.9/30
T6.Dayton17.6/33
T6.Buffalo17.6/32
8.West Palm Beach17.1/31
9.Tampa16.5/32
10.Columbus16.2/31
11.Providence15.7/29
12.Boston15.4/33
13.Cleveland14.9/30
14.Orlando14.8/31
15.Baltimore14.3/30
16.Hartford13.4/26
17.New Orleans13.1/23
18.Pittsburgh13.0/27
T19.Greenville12.7/21
T19.Milwaukee12.7/27
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Assuming Adam McQuaid knows he is done for the year with injury, and considering he is a UFA July 1 and thus would have no allegiance to CBJ at that point, I wonder if deep down he is actually cheering for the Bruins in this series.
He'd get a ring, might get an exception to get his name on the cup, and a playoff share, I assume, so Columbus winning still benefits him.

I'm sure he won't mind seeing his old teammates succeed if Columbus goes out though.

Reactions: Strafer

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I do not want another game 7. I think the B's have shaken Bob, the rebounds he gives have been there for the taking all series long, the B's need to get to them first and put this away.

The Blue Jackets didn't seem as physical last game, maybe it has taken a toll. Does anyone know why they dressed 7 D yesterday? Injuries?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad