Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 6 - It's OVAH - Ottawa wins 3-2 in OT and wins series 4-2

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Pack away the skates and put away the Zamboni, the Bruins’ season is over, and now officially so is winter in Boston.

Ottawa’s Clarke MacArthur, who drew a holding penalty on David Pastrnak to give Ottawa an overtime man-advantage, ended it with 6 minutes 30 seconds gone by in OT, banging a power-play goal past Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask. That gave the Senators a 3-2 overtime win at TD Garden on Sunday and a decisive fourth victory in this best-of-seven Eastern Conference playoff series.

The Bruins’ season on the brink finally reached its limit, just like their talent. The Bruins should feel no shame. A borderline playoff team that squeaked into the postseason by a point, they met their demise in a borderline series that could have swung either way. All six games were decided by a single goal, and four of them required overtime

The good news is that the Black and Gold found their way back into the playoffs, found a future franchise defenseman in cherubic Charlie McAvoy in this series, and found some breathing room for their youth movement with impatient ownership.

“Yeah, they have a lot to build from,” said Bruins center Patrice Bergeron. “It’s a different game in the postseason, and I think we have all realized it. With the pace and the intensity, it’s a game of inches every night. I think for the young guys it’s definitely a great experience. It’s something you can’t buy. For them, I know it’s going to go a long way for next year.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-its-limits/FRWv4UCHA9Ac08XiYz4XFI/story.html

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
I know all the focus is on that ot penalty.
but man- we're up 1-0 and Ottawa gets a power play and tying goal on the same check that WASNT called on Krejci. Frustrating.

Did you also see Bergeron in game 5 hit Stone into the net and Stone responded with a punch to his face yet only Bergeron got called.

Kinda like when Ryan slammed Nash head into the birds, took a swipe and only Nash got called.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Bruins did the best they could considering all the injuries. If healthy the win this series. Karlsson played with two hair line fracture in his foot. Must have been on steroids to play the way he did. McAvoy is going to be a great player for the Bruins. Stepped right in and played with confidence. Someone put a hex on the Bruins sticks with all the pucks going over the glass.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Did you also see Bergeron in game 5 hit Stone into the net and Stone responded with a punch to his face yet only Bergeron got called.

Kinda like when Ryan slammed Nash head into the birds, took a swipe and only Nash got called.

they make up rules and penalties as they see fit in the NHL.
That's why its the hardest championship to win. Along with all the injuries that can happen.

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
Now I have seen it all. I've heard the Karlsson to Orr comparison throughout this series, but on the NYR-OTT thread, they are just calling him Bobby Orr now. Hilarious.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
It is was it is ,they put up a good fight but with the injuries on D and the lack of any secondary scoring,they just weren't good enough.Obviosly the reffs didn't help,along with the brain farts that kept rearing there ugly heads time and time again this series.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Now I have seen it all. I've heard the Karlsson to Orr comparison throughout this series, but on the NYR-OTT thread, they are just calling him Bobby Orr now. Hilarious.

I have said it before he would last 10 games in Orr's NHL. Bruins didn't get to him enough he had a cake walk series in regards to being hit.

Rangers will not be so kind.

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
I have said it before he would last 10 games in Orr's NHL. Bruins didn't get to him enough he had a cake walk series in regards to being hit.

Rangers will not be so kind.
I have a bad feeling these guys (OTT) are gonna slash punch and dive their way into the ECF. Hoping they get pulverized in 4 or 5. I can't stand some of their cocky "fans" on HF.

323 Krejci 7

Dec 29, 2010
That is the one I am over the top furious on.

Ceci breaks his stick in half on the slash to the ankle.
Then he reaches down and grabs hold of the stick
And dives at the knees into the legs tripping Schaller.

This was such an egregious non call on ceci... I saw sens fans complaining that not only should this have not been a penalty on Ottawa but the Bruins should have got a penalty here because "schaller slashed and broke ceci's stick " LOL.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I quite honestly have never seen so many bad breaks and tough luck going against one team. All things considered, it's tough to be too negative on this one. Still sucks though.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I cant believe we would've had home ice next round if we advanced.

I hope Ottawa makes a run. I cant stand AV

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
This was such an egregious non call on ceci... I saw sens fans complaining that not only should this have not been a penalty on Ottawa but the Bruins should have got a penalty here because "schaller slashed and broke ceci's stick " LOL.

That is the one I am over the top furious on.

Ceci breaks his stick in half on the slash to the ankle.
Then he reaches down and grabs hold of the stick
And dives at the knees into the legs tripping Schaller.

This is just another example (of which there are waaaaaay too many) of the egregious officiating in this series.

In no way shape or form, was the series called anyway close down the middle. It makes me sick. Pasta deserved a penalty.... but not when you let what Ceci did go...

Officials and the NHL should be ashamed of themselves.....

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
One of the main areas of concern going in was the self inflicted wounds. The 3 D of G penalties in the first put them in a hole. The PK work was nothing short of outstanding but the down side is many players sitting who did not have a chance to get into the rhythm of the game and of course no opportunity to generate Offense. The Pasta play in OT, whether it was worthy of a call or not, was another self inflected, and this time, it was a mortal wound.

The game was very odd in that the first period was centered on special teams play with the penalties mentioned and the push back with the all important 1st goal on the PP. The second was a team that struggled to make a pass tape to tape and repeated indecisiveness. Wondered if the lack of rythum in the first contributed to that. Marchy and Pasta struggled to get out of their own way at time and both were frustrated. Despite being out played they were still in the game. The third was their best effort on the night, especially the first minutes of the period and they pushed the pace for more than half the period an got rewarded.

An oddity was that all 5 goals with scored in the away end of the ice.

Proud of the group wearing the spoked B and so looking forward to the very promising future being built and has starting to change the make up of the team. Hope Cassidy gets the opportunity to oversee that translation.

Draft focus next and the trade watch will be front and center.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
I have a bad feeling these guys (OTT) are gonna slash punch and dive their way into the ECF. Hoping they get pulverized in 4 or 5. I can't stand some of their cocky "fans" on HF.

That's all fan bases. Be honest, the Ottawa fans were MUCH better than what we would have gotten from ANY other team in the East. It might be because I live in NY, but I want Ottawa to smash the Rags. Then have a Western Conference team win the Cup.

Anyway, I've never felt better after a playoff loss. After the last two seasons, just going to the Playoffs was a victory here. The most amazing thing is that the defense finally seems to be fixed for this team. We went from a dumpster fire on the back end, to having a strong/young D group heading into 17-18. Carlo, McAvoy, Krug, Chara, K. Miller, McQuaid. They are going to lose someone, but there is also Zboril coming in. Such a bright future.

The only thing the F/O needs to do this offseason is look for a forward. We were all confident in this forward group heading into the season, but a few of supporting guys got exposed. Pasta took the next step, Marchand took the next step. We still have great depth at center. The F/O should be doing whatever they can to bring in another top 6 winger and some veteran depth for the bottom 6.

The future has not looked as bright for this team since they lost against Chicago in 13. THIS is the time we've been waiting for. The Bruins have the top flight talent, they were just waiting for the kids to start making an impact. Now they're doing it. These next few years are going to be fun again. :yo:

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
That's all fan bases. Be honest, the Ottawa fans were MUCH better than what we would have gotten from ANY other team in the East. It might be because I live in NY, but I want Ottawa to smash the Rags. Then have a Western Conference team win the Cup.

Anyway, I've never felt better after a playoff loss. After the last two seasons, just going to the Playoffs was a victory here. The most amazing thing is that the defense finally seems to be fixed for this team. We went from a dumpster fire on the back end, to having a strong/young D group heading into 17-18. Carlo, McAvoy, Krug, Chara, K. Miller, McQuaid. They are going to lose someone, but there is also Zboril coming in. Such a bright future.

The only thing the F/O needs to do this offseason is look for a forward. We were all confident in this forward group heading into the season, but a few of supporting guys got exposed. Pasta took the next step, Marchand took the next step. We still have great depth at center. The F/O should be doing whatever they can to bring in another top 6 winger and some veteran depth for the bottom 6.

The future has not looked as bright for this team since they lost against Chicago in 13. THIS is the time we've been waiting for. The Bruins have the top flight talent, they were just waiting for the kids to start making an impact. Now they're doing it. These next few years are going to be fun again. :yo:

Makes me wish it would just hurry up and be October already. Can't wait to watch McAvoy progress further.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This is just another example (of which there are waaaaaay too many) of the egregious officiating in this series.

In no way shape or form, was the series called anyway close down the middle. It makes me sick. Pasta deserved a penalty.... but not when you let what Ceci did go...

Officials and the NHL should be ashamed of themselves.....

Sens fan sayins the sens did get the better side of officiating.

That being said, we sens fans know exactly how frustrating it can be and don't blame you for being vocal about your displeasure.

Just to show you:

PP minus PK time:

09-10: 27th
10-11: 29th
11-12: 27th
12-13: 27th
13-14: 30th

So we know exactly what it's like to see the other team get PP after PP when we can't buy a PP and the game get's solved on the PP. It stings twice as much when it's the playoffs and the games mean more.

Just came in to say i don't blame you speaking from first hand experiences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad