Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 6 - It's OVAH - Ottawa wins 3-2 in OT and wins series 4-2

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
What did we really learn?

McAvoy played well but I don't see anything that suggests he is going to be an elite #1 anytime soon. He only played a couple of games so next year will be a true indicator.

Pasta was a disappointment. His play was a huge drop off from the regular season.

Bergeron and Marchand were up against the best Sens all series and didn't get the job done. Lack of depth up front really hurt. I don't think any of the young forwards have top six potential. Sweeney will have to perform miracles to get this roster in playoff trim next year.

The D corps is in worse shape than the forwards. There is zero depth. Who's the #1 next season? Chara is not the answer. Too slow and weak on the puck. Age had caught up to him. McAvoy could be but it's a huge stretch at this time. The rest of the bunch is barely average. Krug will be back but he's not a backbone guy. You can't build the D around him. McQuaid is done. Too fragile, too slow and no puck moving skills. The Millers are barely NHL players.

The only solid piece going into next year is Rask. He played well enough to win if the offense gave him some goal support.

The coaching staff needs to be given new direction or be replaced. The old school style is not working. You need to play a high tempo game in this new NHL. I don't think this staff is capable of adapting.

You forgot the :sarcasm:

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site

McAvoy played well but I don't see anything that suggests he is going to be an elite #1 anytime soon. He only played a couple of games so next year will be a true indicator.

Pasta was a disappointment. His play was a huge drop off from the regular season.

Bergeron and Marchand were up against the best Sens all series and didn't get the job done. Lack of depth up front really hurt. I don't think any of the young forwards have top six potential. Sweeney will have to perform miracles to get this roster in playoff trim next year.

The D corps is in worse shape than the forwards. There is zero depth. Who's the #1 next season? Chara is not the answer. Too slow and weak on the puck. Age had caught up to him. McAvoy could be but it's a huge stretch at this time. The rest of the bunch is barely average. Krug will be back but he's not a backbone guy. You can't build the D around him. McQuaid is done. Too fragile, too slow and no puck moving skills. The Millers are barely NHL players.

The only solid piece going into next year is Rask. He played well enough to win if the offense gave him some goal support.

The coaching staff needs to be given new direction or be replaced. The old school style is not working. You need to play a high tempo game in this new NHL. I don't think this staff is capable of adapting.

Agree with you for the foward. To me that's really where this team is in trouble. The team put an amazing effort in this serie, but they just don't have the horses. They dress 8 4th liner today, don't get me wrong, those guys were amazing and alot of them are top notch 4th liner, but you can't dress 8 of them at the same time. Krejci will come back so we have 5 top 9 guys, still miss 4.

Don't agree with the defense, what we saw from McAvoy at his age with his experience is just amazing. A top 5 of Chara McAvoy, Krug, Carlo, K.Miller is pretty good and only Chara is on his last legs, the others are all from really young to still young. We are good for next year and I'm confident some of Zboril, Lauzon, Johansson, O'Gara, Lindgren can become top 4 material in some years.

I'm less confident with the fowards, youngster have ihmo less potential than the defensemen, see some of them being able to become #6 to 9 foward but it's a longshot to hope for some top 5 fowards, plus 3 of our 5 top 9 fowards are not that young anymore ... There's allready some huge hole in the Bruins fowards and it will only became worst unless Sweeney can put a rabbit from is hat.

Defense wins championships, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Mvavoy is 19 and has the stuff to be elite. What I'm nit sure if he has a good shot.I don't see him scoring 20 for ex...I do see him get a ton of helpers.he also does not shy awsy from the physicality.
he is by far our best prospect.
Defence wins championships.Maybe in football
In hockey defence alone will not win you a cup .

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
Somebody above said it best...I am at Peace with the season.

I hate that it ended on the PP Goal, and the fluky bound off of Rask from the corner, but I like what Cassidy brought to the team, and I was very dubious about him as a coach coming in after Julien was fired. It was so nice to have playoff hockey again for the B's, and I love that they finished the playoff push during the last few weeks of the season and secured a spot; something they had failed to do in the previous two seasons.

Loved their compete level and how they stepped up in the face of injuries, and gave the Sens a run for their money throughout the series..I would have loved to see them play this series healthy, but that was out of their control.

Glad to see the young guys get their first taste of playoff action, and there were a few players who I thought opened some eyes during the series; McAvoy (of course), K. Miller, Morrow on the back end and Kuraly showed some good compete as did Backes and I liked what Dom Moore brings to the table. The first line needed to be better, but I thought Rask had a good showing. The future looks bright with some of the prospects hopefully pushing for time in Boston next season.

I am disappointed tonight about the outcome, but not with how the team played overall.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Mvavoy is 19 and has the stuff to be elite. What I'm nit sure if he has a good shot.I don't see him scoring 20 for ex...I do see him get a ton of helpers.he also does not shy awsy from the physicality.
he is by far our best prospect.
Defence wins championships.Maybe in football
In hockey defence alone will not win you a cup .

11 times over the last 5 years has a defenseman scored 20 or more goals. I'll be pretty happy is McAvoy can consistently get to 10+.

3 - Burns
2- Weber, Karlsson, OEL
1- Buff, Giordano

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
You forgot the :sarcasm:

all i could hear was debbie downer's voice.

McAvoy is the real deal. Anyone can see that. The poise he showed was incredible.
Carlo is a top 4 defenseman and he just turned 20.

Kevan Miller broke out to show that he can handle 20 mins a night and he's signed at a reasonable price for a couple more years.

Chara is definitely not done and if you add minutes to K. Miller, McAvoy and Carlo he will be fine again next year.

Pastrnak had some ups and downs and was not particularly great in these playoffs but he was OK and considering he is still 20 and this was his first playoffs...nothing to get down about. He will continue to grow.

The Bruins depth was killed by Krejci being out. Even with Krejci they still need some more skill on the wing and a 3rd line center they can count on. Kuraly stepped up and could be that guy. Or he'll be the 4th line center. Either way I think they found a good Jason Chimera-type bottom 6 player.

The only young(ish) player that disappointed in this series was Spooner. I'm not sure what his injury was but he was so weak and disappointing. If he broke out with even just 3-4 points in this series--the Bruins win. I thought this series would come down to him once Krejci got hurt in game 82.

He was bad in the early games but I still think I would have played him today, to be honest. Beleskey played about 6:15 at ES today and was the same slow mess he's been all year. At least Spooner could have been on the PP at the end instead of Nash.

The Bruins have some options going forward here. Things are looking up. I think Jake Debrusk will be ready to help on the left side next year and maybe Cehlarik as well. Hopefully Pastrnak's bridge deal is reasonable and maybe they can get a guy like Oshie in the right side. Who knows.

They definitely need to unload one of Beleskey or Hayes. Both would be ideal.

Last edited:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Series was a kick in the teeth. What I want to see out of management now is whether they see this as a need to further improve (I hope) or not do anything because they think with a few lucky bounces here, and some better reffing there, we'd be off to the second round (which is how I fear they see it).

Our once much beleaguered D seems to have turned a corner, and should take a lot of pressure off Chara next year. I see next year as a D by committee, but I'm liking what I see. McAvoy, Carlo, and Kevan Miller all showed they can play.

As for the offense, would like to see some secondary scoring brought in, and I agree with trenton1 that getting rid of both Hayes and Belesky. That's automatic addition by subtraction.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Improving our offence will be extremely hard. The type of players we need just are not available moreover berg and krejci are clearly on the decline. What does this spell out. Bubble team for years to come.Unless they are able to draft offensive thoroughbreds in very near future.the bruins will not be a legitimate cup contender for many years to come..
That honour will go to teams like tor edm ...pitt and chi (even after being swept) still will be legitimate cup contenders for a few more years

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Improving our offence will be extremely hard. The type of players we need just are not available moreover berg and krejci are clearly on the decline. What does this spell out. Bubble team for years to come.Unless they are able to draft offensive thoroughbreds in very near future.the bruins will not be a legitimate cup contender for many years to come..
That honour will go to teams like tor edm ...pitt and chi (even after being swept) still will be legitimate cup contenders for a few more years

For being on the decline, his 5 on 5 production was comparable to last season. I think that's pretty good when you look at his LWs over the year. As well it's not all that surprising moving to the 2nd PP unit hurt him there.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
Seems like we're in better shape with our defense prospects than our forward prospects. Does this mean Sweeney will have discussions with Colorado this summer about Landeskog or Duchene?

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I'm sad the Bruins season is over. Such bad luck when it mattered most. I feel for Carlo who played all season and then didn't get a taste of the playoffs. There is lots to look forward to next season. I hope Cassidy is back.

As always, I really don't care who wins the Cup now, as long as it is never the Habs.

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
That was game #2. IMO the turning point was the horrific penalty on Nash in OT in game 3.

Agreed. That and the B's did not catch one break the entire series from the refs. I'm not a conspiracy guy, or the NHL is out to get the Bruins guy, it just was what it was. Some questionable calls/non-calls at the most inopportune times. Five of which occurred in OT....Game 3 Nash yes/Ryan no....Game 5 no goal call (at least this one didn't come back to bite us) and Ceci no/Pasta yes in Game 6). Difficult to overcome when two of your top 4 D PKers are down for the series. 6 games all decided by 1 goal. Could've been 6-0 B's or 6-0 Sens. Sens win it 4-2 and caught some of the ref luck.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

I was at the game yesterday and when this (video above) wasn't called I figured this was OT no calls. Man was I wrong. The Pasta call was similar in away there was no real scoring chance.
The officiating in the NHL is very flawed mainly through inconsistency and should be easily fixed. One of the Montreal vs Rangers OT games the play was back and forth no calls. Was there infractions, sure was but they let them play. Yesterday everyone was waiting for the call and it came.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013

I'm trying hard to remember a series with us that was this poorly officiated and I can't think of one. I was also actually happy they didn't make this call above in OT, only to watch one so similar go against us right after it.

The level of incompetence was ridiculous.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
bh_Apr242017_A072.jpg

getimage.aspx

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009

Let me guess... you're a "glass half empty" kind of guy?

And if you "don't see anything that suggests [McAvoy] is going to be an elite #1 anytime soon" I don't know what you were watching. Of course he won't carry this team right off the bat, but with that showing there's absolutely no doubt we have a real stud on our hands that will be a major factor for years to come. And that he ran out of gas in OT isn't really a surprise with the minutes he played right out of college. Thrown right in at the deep end in the NHL playoffs and performing as he did the first 6+ games war downright awesome.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Turning point in the series (imo) was the Chara delay of game penalty in the waning seconds of game 3 before OT.

not for me.
ott was already into that game at that point- and made the comeback
turning point for me was the second goal in that game. soft as soft serve ice cream.
Before that goal Ott was dead in the water. They had nothing going for them.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I know all the focus is on that ot penalty.
but man- we're up 1-0 and Ottawa gets a power play and tying goal on the same check that WASNT called on Krejci. Frustrating.

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
not for me.
ott was already into that game at that point- and made the comeback
turning point for me was the second goal in that game. soft as soft serve ice cream.
Before that goal Ott was dead in the water. They had nothing going for them.

Bingo!!!!

''Twas the tsn turning point of the series

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
I know all the focus is on that ot penalty.
but man- we're up 1-0 and Ottawa gets a power play and tying goal on the same check that WASNT called on Krejci. Frustrating.

Bingo again!!

Did you also see the Kadri hit on ovechkin that was a no call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad