Post-Game Talk: ECQF Game 5 - THE BEAR I̶n̶v̶i̶t̶e̶s̶ has Hamilton for dinner - B's win series 4-1

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Thanks I needed a good laugh this morning.

Dialed in? How much of that series did you actually watch?

At one point yesterday CBJ had 30 something shots to Tampa's 15. What I saw in the Tampa series is Point is playing great hockey, so is Hedman. I thought many of the rest of their big names like Kucherov, McDonagh, Palat, etc. were underwhelming. Even Vasilievsky wasn't at his best. You ain't getting a healthy Stamkos anyways.

It's not 2018, and this Bruins squad doesn't have any sort of phobia for TB. I don't see either team as a favorite, just two solid contenders squaring off.

Lol, watched a lot of that series. Korpisalo was the only
reason that series didn't have multiple blow outs. TB
yesterday played like a team that knew they could turn it on anytime and beat CBJ.

TB has owned Boston the last 3 years. No Rask in net
means big problems for Boston.

Reactions: Gordoff

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Screen-Shot-2020-08-20-at-7.53.12-AM.png

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I don't really get all this fear about TB. They had a lot of trouble putting Columbus away and they don't have Stamkos in the line up. Yes they beat the Bruins up in 2018 but that was then, this is now. Frankly I'd rather face TB than NYI- Cooper is not in Trotz' league when it comes to coaching by any stretch of the imagination.
Even with Chara on his last legs I think the Bruins back end is much better prepared to meet Tampa this time around . I can’t remember but I don’t think Carlo played last time , McAvoy and Grz are better players now , Krug proved himself in last year’s playoff run , we didn’t have Clifton / Lauzon last time . It will be no cakewalk but I’m not scared of Tampa .

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Even with Chara on his last legs I think the Bruins back end is much better prepared to meet Tampa this time around . I can’t remember but I don’t think Carlo played last time , McAvoy and Grz are better players now , Krug proved himself in last year’s playoff run , we didn’t have Clifton / Lauzon last time . It will be no cakewalk but I’m not scared of Tampa .

I was just looking through the roster from that series to try and gauge how much better suited the B's are this time around. You are correct that Carlo didn't play. Miller had the 3rd highest average TOI among the D, followed by Krug, Gryz and McQuaid. Nick Holden stepped in and played game 5 after Krug got hurt.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
yesterday played like a team that knew they could turn it on anytime and beat CBJ.

Last 3 years?

In 2018 the Bruins won the regular season series 3-1. Sure they lost in the playoffs 4-1, but half that roster has changed over from now until then, so I don't even see how 2018 is relevant at all. So toss that year out altogether, means absolutely nothing.

2019 TB won the season series 3-1. They outscored the Bruins in 4 games by a grand total of TWO goals (15 to 13). With largely similar rosters TB took this years series 3-1 with one victory requiring a shoot-out. Once again the Bruins in 4 games were outscored by the Big Bad Tampa Bay Lightning just 2 goals. In two seasons against one another over 8 games the Lighting are up 27 goals vs. 23.

I'm not sure I'd call that ownership.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Not one of my friends agrees with me.. But I want Tampa.

This group plays up to that Tampa group. The rivalry is there IMO. Especially with the addition of Pat Maroon who won the cup with his team over this Bruins group last year. This is a playoff series both groups will get up for. The ultimate test for our boys. I want it.

And besides, as many originally thought last year before they were unexpectedly swept, they're going to have to face goliath of the east eventually anyways in their quest for the Cup.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not one of my friends agrees with me.. But I want Tampa.

This group plays up to that Tampa group. The rivalry is there IMO. Especially with the addition of Pat Maroon who won the cup with his team over this Bruins group last year. This is a playoff series both groups will get up for. The ultimate test for our boys. I want it.

And besides, as many originally thought last year before they were unexpectedly swept, they're going to have to face goliath of the east eventually anyways in their quest for the Cup.

They can't face the goliath of the east, they are the goliath of the east!

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Last 3 years?

In 2018 the Bruins won the regular season series 3-1. Sure they lost in the playoffs 4-1, but half that roster has changed over from now until then, so I don't even see how 2018 is relevant at all. So toss that year out altogether, means absolutely nothing.

2019 TB won the season series 3-1. They outscored the Bruins in 4 games by a grand total of TWO goals (15 to 13). With largely similar rosters TB took this years series 3-1 with one victory requiring a shoot-out. Once again the Bruins in 4 games were outscored by the Big Bad Tampa Bay Lightning just 2 goals. In two seasons against one another over 8 games the Lighting are up 27 goals vs. 23.

I think a lot of fans look at Tampa as dominating us because they perceive Tampa as more physically dominate than the Bruins. I don't agree with that, but I know there are fans that do.

Reactions: aguineapig and BMC

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Last 3 years?

i don't think TB is level above the Bs or anything, but 6-2 over the last 2 seasons is pretty one-sided, goal differential is meaningless in the playoffs

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The Bruins also did not have this playoff's version of Krech last time they met. He looks 5 years younger out there to me. If there was one guy that the long enforced break benefitted, it had to be Krejci. Five months of rest seems to have worked wonders for his game. It kind of makes you wonder how banged he was playing every playoffs and not getting quite 100% before the next season started.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
i don't think TB is level above the Bs or anything, but 6-2 over the last 2 seasons is pretty one-sided, goal differential is meaningless in the playoffs

And one win was in a shoot-out, so call it 5-2-1 for TB. Bruins were never blown out or dominated by this team the past two seasons. Goal differential may not matter in the playoffs but the point being the Bruins were in most of those 8 games. I think that 2018 series is just too fresh in fans minds, when the reality is this team today is a far cry from the 2018 squad IMO.

Gone from that 2018 team that faced TB is Backes, Schaller, Miller, McQuaid, Holden, Rick and Riley Nash, Heinen, Acciari. Not a single above-average skater in that group. I remember that 3rd line of Backes-Riley-Heinen got absolutely nothing done vs. TB that year. The vaunted 4th line wasn't much better.

The Bruins of today are a much faster and deeper team. Then add in the development of Carlo (who didn't play 2018 series), Pasta, McAvoy (2018 was his rookie year) , Debrusk, Gryz, etc. and there is really no comparison from 2018 to 2020.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
And one win was in a shoot-out, so call it 5-2-1 for TB. Bruins were never blown out or dominated by this team the past two seasons. Goal differential may not matter in the playoffs but the point being the Bruins were in most of those 8 games. I think that 2018 series is just too fresh in fans minds, when the reality is this team today is a far cry from the 2018 squad IMO.

Gone from that 2018 team that faced TB is Backes, Schaller, Miller, McQuaid, Holden, Rick and Riley Nash, Heinen, Acciari. Not a single above-average skater in that group. I remember that 3rd line of Backes-Riley-Heinen got absolutely nothing done vs. TB that year. The vaunted 4th line wasn't much better.

The Bruins of today are a much faster and deeper team. Then add in the development of Carlo (who didn't play 2018 series), Pasta, McAvoy (2018 was his rookie year) , Debrusk, Gryz, etc. and there is really no comparison from 2018 to 2020.
It’s a cliche but even the 5 game loss to Tampa in 2018 may have been a much longer series if the Bruins got a few bounces . In game 2 they were on their way back in the 3rd period when they got derailed by the officiating . Didn’t McAvoy get hauled down and Tampa got a “ gift goal “ in game 4 ? The only game Tampa truly owned the Bruins in that series was game 3 in which I thought they really dominated .

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It’s a cliche but even the 5 game loss to Tampa in 2018 may have been a much longer series if the Bruins got a few bounces . In game 2 they were on their way back in the 3rd peeiod when they got derailed by the officiating . Didn’t McAvoy get hauled down and Tampa got a “ gift goal “ in game 4 ? The only game Tampa truly owned the Bruins in that series was game 3 in which I thought they really dominated .

All true. I'll be honest I didn't get to see much of that 2018 series, just was really busy that 1 1/2 weeks with prior commitments, just bad timing. I do remember seeing the highlights of phantom penalties and TB getting some luck go their way.

I was more worried about Carolina than I am TB regardless of Boston's domination in the playoffs the previous year. The Canes were coming off that 3 game sweep of NYR and Bruins looked "meh" in the R-robin, so you had a team spinning it's tires seemingly vs. a team up to full-speed. But as we saw it never played out that way. Now that the Bruins are rolling I expect them vs. TB if it comes to that to be a fairly even series regardless of who wins. Two legit top teams going at it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The Bruins also did not have this playoff's version of Krech last time they met. He looks 5 years younger out there to me. If there was one guy that the long enforced break benefitted, it had to be Krejci. Five months of rest seems to have worked wonders for his game. It kind of makes you wonder how banged he was playing every playoffs and not getting quite 100% before the next season started.

He's also got his first good RW in years playing on his wing. Having Kase there has definitely rejuvenated Krejci's game.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It’s a cliche but even the 5 game loss to Tampa in 2018 may have been a much longer series if the Bruins got a few bounces . In game 2 they were on their way back in the 3rd peeiod when they got derailed by the officiating . Didn’t McAvoy get hauled down and Tampa got a “ gift goal “ in game 4 ? The only game Tampa truly owned the Bruins in that series was game 3 in which I thought they really dominated .

Absolutely disgusting officiating in that series.

Bruins should have won in 6.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Bruins had good defensive structure today but didn’t spend enough time in the Carolina zone in my opinion. Carolina didn’t put up much of a fight in that 3rd period . Halak looked more comfortable and confident today but he really wasn’t tested that much . Against Tampa , he will be .

Not that it's all that uncommon, but Halak performs better when he sees more action. Over the past 2 years, he's got a 94% save percentage when he sees 30+ shots, while it drops to 89.6% when he sees less than 30 shots.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I think the D should stay the same vs TB, as much as I'd like to see Lauzon come in to deal with those cheap shot artists on TB, Clifton has been very good........I'd say gauge game 1 and go from there.
Marchy-Bergy-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Kase are set in stone.
Ritchie-Coyle-Bjork would be my 3rd line
Wagner-Kuraly- Nordstrom is my 4th

I know you don't break up the perfection line but part of me wonders how this line up would do?
Marshy-Bergy-Kase
Ritchie-Krejci-Pasta
Debrusk-Coyle-Bjork/Studnicka
Wagner-Kuraly-Nordstrom

Lines 1-3 are well balanced vs what we'll most likely see where Coyle is likely stuck with a combination of Bjork/Ritchie/Studnicka/Kuraly
Thinking back to last year, our 3rd line was a huge part of our success

Reactions: bbfan419

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I don't really get all this fear about TB. They had a lot of trouble putting Columbus away and they don't have Stamkos in the line up. Yes they beat the Bruins up in 2018 but that was then, this is now. Frankly I'd rather face TB than NYI- Cooper is not in Trotz' league when it comes to coaching by any stretch of the imagination.
Agree and even if we played the Isles next we still no doubt have to play Tampa at some point, lets face them next and beat them right away, then done with them this year.

Reactions: BMC

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

maybe rask has issues with tampa. I actually like Halak in net against tampa more than rask.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad