Post-Game Talk: ECQF Game 5 - THE BEAR I̶n̶v̶i̶t̶e̶s̶ has Hamilton for dinner - B's win series 4-1

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This series was closer than a 5 game series would indicate. I don't think either team played to their potential, or even close to it for more than a few shifts at a time.

I think they'll up their game next round, but without significant improvements they'll get waxed by Tampa Bay.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Absolutely disgusting officiating in that series.

Bruins should have won in 6.

There was some bad officiating, but that’s a little ridiculous in my opinion to say they “should have won in 6” when they lost in 5. Aside from the first game, I don’t remember them greatly outplaying Tampa in any of those other games. As a matter of fact, the only other one I thought they “deserved” was in the one where the McAvoy call was blown.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Fair enough, but the point was more that if they have multiple trophies for forwards, they should have similar ones for defensemen.

Calling the offensive defenseman award the Bobby Orr award is an insult to Bobby Orr. He was the very best offensive and defensive defenseman who ever lived. Nobody else in the game could rush end to end, circle the net, and be back to break up a play in his own end like Bobby. Nobody.

I remember watching the Philly/Bruins final they lost in 74. Bobby took the puck behind his own net and started his rush, slicing through defenders as only he could. He got off a shot, Parent made the save and kicked it out to a winger at the blue line. Just like that, Dallas Smith was caught in a 3 on 1, and I was shitting my 8 year old pants. My father said "Don't worry, Bobby will get back." Sure enough, Bobby turned on the jets and came back, bailing out Smith by blocking a pass.

Reactions: BTO and BMC

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Absolutely disgusting officiating in that series.

Bruins should have won in 6.
McAvoy was tripped that should’ve been a penalty it wasn’t and they scored in OT and the series went down the drain. As usual the bruins will need the PP going , it will be a must. Even if this happens it’s not finalized yet. I hate saying this, I wouldn’t count Montreal out just yet.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
This series was closer than a 5 game series would indicate. I don't think either team played to their potential, or even close to it for more than a few shifts at a time.

I think they'll up their game next round, but without significant improvements they'll get waxed by Tampa Bay.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

I think they'll up their game next round, but without significant improvements they'll get waxed by Tampa

Seriously, we outshot and outchanced them in every game. Rask and Halak were far from stellar this series and the games were close only because the Hurricanes goalies both played above their usual levels. I wasn't impressed with TB in their series against Columbus, they were extremely fortunate to win yesterday.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Lol, watched a lot of that series. Korpisalo was the only
reason that series didn't have multiple blow outs. TB
yesterday played like a team that knew they could turn it on anytime and beat CBJ.

TB has owned Boston the last 3 years. No Rask in net
means big problems for Boston.

Tuukka stats against tampa last 3 years. Not good. We wont really miss much without him in net against them

2020_039_tuukka_tb.png

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

This is true but the same can be said about the Tampa/BJ's series. Tampa didn't impress either.

But ya, they will have to take it up a notch if they are going to beat the Bolts

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I swear Jake Gardiner losses sleep at night dwelling on the fact the Bruins own him. It pleases me.
he isnt a great defender on any given night. he has great skating but gets beat to the outside always and he loves turning the puck over. he has above average offensive instincts. its not just against the bruins. i wouldnt want him on the bruins tbh

Reactions: Gordoff

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Why not keep the Norris for best defenseman and create a Bobby Orr trophy for best offensive defenseman?

im ready to redo all the awards and while we are at it give them names that have some meaning

an offensive and a defensive dman award would be good... let both be voted on by the coaches... what opposing dman creates the biggest problem gameplanning for?

then i want a defensive forward award that goes to a guy who actually is in the league because of his defensive play... this award can be voted on by the top 50 scorers and go to the opposing forward that is the toughest to play against. id also like an offensive forward award... have 5 long time season ticket holders in each arena vote what their favorite opposing player to come watch play is

id like a top fighter award... any guy with more than 3 fights is allowed to vote who their most feared opponent is

for goaltender award let every player vote... who would they want in the net for a game 7

some of these trophy/awards could be alot of fun... simply giving an award to whoever scored the most goals or whoever has a reputation for the last 6 years and has earnt his turn at winning a popularity vote really sucks imo

Reactions: Scruffy and Gordoff

TcTap

Jan 27, 2017
Dont want to be Debbie Downer after a great win, but Tampa will be a very tough opponent. Halak looks very shaky. Way too far from the goal on several occasions where simple pass would reveal empty net. Something Tampa is bound to exploit. For now, luckily, he was covered by reliable defence. They really tightened it up after Rask left. You may see some Halaks "good" stats in this thread but defence really clamped down on high danger chances and most of the shots Halak faced were easy saves. Chara and Carlo in particular improved over previous games.

Another thing with Halak is that he just cant help himself and always leaves the crest to play the puck. He was punished for it once already, and with speedy team like Tampa he is going to be punished again. But its his thing. Its something he has always done and looks like he refuses to stop. Just ask Islander fans, they even shouted at him to stay in net, thats how notorious that is.

To sum it up, losing Rask is a big blow to the team. With focused Rask I would see series with Tampa at least 50/50, with Halak, I see him getting chased out of net at least once. Hopefully Vladar is as good as rumors say. But, anything could happen, and if Bostons defence is going to play the same way they played this game against Carolina, I could see Boston taking it in 6.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Tuukka stats against tampa last 3 years. Not good. We wont really miss much without him in net against them

2020_039_tuukka_tb.png

What are Halak's stats against the Bolts? Not to mention that losses are a team stat - never understood why W/L is used as a stat for goalies, like they're the only factor in the results.

I hope Halak has a great series, but Rask has been the better goalie overall. Perhaps there's some strange factor that'll make Jaro a better goalie against Tampa, but I'd be more confident with Rask in net.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
But this is the 4th time I believe he's been eliminated by the Bruins. Was he on the 2013 shit show? I'm honestly too lazy to research.

This is only the second time.

He was Toronto's goalie in 2013, but was on Florida the last handful of years before joining Carolina this year.

Something I never realized though was that he was actually Martin Jones' backup in the Sharks' finals run in 2016

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Exactly. To be fair to him he was only a baseball beat writer before the sports hub launched. He was a guest on the big show mainly to talk baseball, and we all know that the big show back then hated the bruins/hockey. Doesn’t excuse his lack of knowledge now though.
Can NOT stand Mazz. I weaselly whiney little PIA. People hate on Felger all the time here but at least Felger backs up his opinion. Mazz just talks to hear himself talk. In general 98.5 has sucked when it comes to hockey ever since John Meterparel (sp) left.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
And one win was in a shoot-out, so call it 5-2-1 for TB. Bruins were never blown out or dominated by this team the past two seasons. Goal differential may not matter in the playoffs but the point being the Bruins were in most of those 8 games. I think that 2018 series is just too fresh in fans minds, when the reality is this team today is a far cry from the 2018 squad IMO.

Gone from that 2018 team that faced TB is Backes, Schaller, Miller, McQuaid, Holden, Rick and Riley Nash, Heinen, Acciari. Not a single above-average skater in that group. I remember that 3rd line of Backes-Riley-Heinen got absolutely nothing done vs. TB that year. The vaunted 4th line wasn't much better.

The Bruins of today are a much faster and deeper team. Then add in the development of Carlo (who didn't play 2018 series), Pasta, McAvoy (2018 was his rookie year) , Debrusk, Gryz, etc. and there is really no comparison from 2018 to 2020.
GREAT points. Not only all of that plus the addition of Coyle and Kase has looked better and better each game. I hope that he hasn't suffered any setbacks after that nasty Martinook hit. If Kase and Pasta are healthy and if the refs make Tampa pay for their dirty hits ('cause you know that they're coming) I'm liking the B's chances. The biggest question mark though is Halak. He needs to get his timing back.

Reactions: BruinDust and BMC

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Can NOT stand Mazz. I weaselly whiney little PIA. People hate on Felger all the time here but at least Felger backs up his opinion. Mazz just talks to hear himself talk. In general 98.5 has sucked when it comes to hockey ever since John Meterparel (sp) left.
What the hell are you talking about? Jon Meterparel was on WEEI and was one of the biggest hockey haters in the history of either station.

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
NOPE WBZ. You're so wrong it isn't funny.
This is the wrong thread for this, but Jon meterparel was the sports flash guy on the Dennis and Callahan morning show for many many years. He left and now calls college football games for Boston college on, get this, WEEI. Jon meterparel was never in his life on 98.5, and has never in his life given a shit about the bruins. You are clearly thinking of someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad