Pre-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 2 - Sat 8:12 PM - A game the Bruins HAVE to win - NBC, CBC, SN(4K), TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
adding Backes just gives the Leafs another slow Bruin for the Leafs to skate around 5v5. Love the guy, but even if he throws a few hits what's it going to do? The complete ignorance of the Bruins 5v5 play all season may be their downfall, especially if the PP fails or doesn't get a chance. It was also the same song with lines 2-4, they didn't score in a play-off game.

Big game tonight obviously but I still feel down 0-2 they would be able to come back

All this talk about speed is just so overblown. If Backes played Gm 1 it wouldn’t of made a difference because the game plan by Cassidy was plain stupid. Bruins are still a 1 line team and Cassidy left the neutral zone open and exchanged rushes with Toronto? Who has more skilled forwards. Just brilliant. But if he changes his approach, has more coverage in neutral zone, forces Leafs wide along the boards, Backes absolutely is a must for this game. He is a fit for that style of play. Look at the Blues, Maroon is slower than Backes but he’s had a great opening 2 games against Jets. Blues don’t run and gun, it’s all about discipline and wearing the other team out.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I think Kuhlman is just as likely, even though I think that would be a mistake. At the end of the day I just hope they aren't going with Backes on the Krejci line.

I second that. I would guess MoJo moves up and Backes slots into the bottom 6. I just don't know if it'll be on the 3rd or 4th line.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/playoff-rookie-moore-surprised-he-was-able-to-hit-chara-so-hard~1658992

Maple Leafs' speed, elusiveness key to overwhelming Chara once again - Sportsnet.ca

This type of coverage should ignite the Bruins. Stand up for your captain. He is 42 years of age and has been an icon for this team. The entire team needs to be tougher and warriors if you want to make a long run in the playoffs. Pound those Leafs. Make them pay.
They obviously feel he can be the Bruins handicap,and are going to try and capitalize on it,I think it’s a good game plan on there point,Bruins forwards are going to have to clog up the neutral zone to give Chara more time back there.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I think Kuhlman is just as likely, even though I think that would be a mistake. At the end of the day I just hope they aren't going with Backes on the Krejci line.
Backes with Coyle and Heinen, and move MoJo up to Krejci and Debrusk is my guess, regardless of who between Nordstrom and Kuhlman sit.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Why is Rask starting Game 2? Did Cassidy just completely memory hole the horrendous performance he put on in Game 1, never mind how badly how he did against this Toronto team last year? Like Jesus Christ. I just hope this team can not be a bag of suck like they were in Game 1.
Is this Haggs? Wrong on so many levels, Rask was the last person I had a problem with in game 1

Reactions: Beantown Beatdown

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Is this Haggs? Wrong on so many levels, Rask was the last person I had a problem with in game 1
These Rask hot takes are out to lunch.

An unmarked player tips one off the post which the goes to another unmarked player for goal one.

PS goal two on yet another boneheaded play on a PP.

Breakaway number 275 on the night for goal 3.

I get he’s had bad games in the past. But man alive. He’s the last guy I’d be pointing a finger at for the shit show clinic they put on Thursday night.

Reactions: PJ StockBB

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Backes with Coyle and Heinen, and move MoJo up to Krejci and Debrusk is my guess, regardless of who between Nordstrom and Kuhlman sit.
Really hate here we are second game into playoffs and we still don’t have a clue who to put on the second line,when everyone and their Mother new it was a huge problem. Yeah I get know scence fretting over it now ,it is what it is ,but still a huge blunder by Sweeney.Mojo isn’t the guy,maybe if not for that big hit ,but definitely not now.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's probably Kuhlman.

Move MoJo up with Krejci, and slot Backes on Coyle's RW with Heinen.

63 - 37 - 88
74 - 46 - 90
43 - 13 - 42
20 - 55 - 14

Could be, shouldn't be though. That 4th line is useless IMO in it's current format and Backes instead of Nordstrom on that line is an upgrade.

Reactions: RIPClaudeJulien

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
These Rask hot takes are out to lunch.

An unmarked player tips one off the post which the goes to another unmarked player for goal one.

PS goal two on yet another boneheaded play on a PP.

Breakaway number 275 on the night for goal 3.

I get he’s had bad games in the past. But man alive. He’s the last guy I’d be pointing a finger at for the **** show clinic they put on Thursday night.

with many if not most of those complaining about Rask completely ignoring the breakaway save on Tavares which literally would have ended the game long before it was over plus a few other very good saves

Can anyone tell me or remind me of one shot that Andersson had to be great on?

Reactions: Paddington

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
with many if not most of those complaining about Rask completely ignoring the breakaway save on Tavares which literally would have ended the game long before it was over plus a few other very good saves

Anderson reminded me of all the times Price would beat us ,Bruins made it easy for him,very little net front presence .

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Anderson reminded me of all the times Price would beat us ,Bruins made it easy for him,very little net front presence .

that`s a good comp, it was a disturbing effort all around, with the D the Leafs have, there is a massive body of work to support that they just aren`t a good team in their own zone yet, we watched all but one line (Coyle`s) not even attempt to stick a man in front of the net and make their D and goalie work for a save, instead, perimeter shot after shot, 2nd to pucks along the wall, outmuscled by a Leaf team who isn`t known for their rugged board work, embarrassing

Leafs are an exceptionally talented team, not a chance did this fan take them lightly but they made it look as easy as it comes, not good enough

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Backes won’t make a difference.

Sure, Backes alone isn't a difference maker but, his insertion indicates a difference in philosophy. If their approach shifts from speed to grinding, I think it's the right call.

On the radio the other day, I believe it was Ray Ferraro who was saying the mistake the Bruins made is that they tried to play the speed game against a team who is faster. That was a big mistake. Over the past week I've heard many "experts" say the team that dictates the style of play will win the series. That held true in game 1. Let's see what a different approach does for the Bruins tonight.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
that`s a good comp, it was a disturbing effort all around, with the D the Leafs have, there is a massive body of work to support that they just aren`t a good team in their own zone yet, we watched all but one line (Coyle`s) not even attempt to stick a man in front of the net and make their D and goalie work for a save, instead, perimeter shot after shot, 2nd to pucks along the wall, outmuscled by a Leaf team who isn`t known for their rugged board work, embarrassing

Leafs are an exceptionally talented team, not a chance did this fan take them lightly but they made it look as easy as it comes, not good enough
Yeah I was shocked at the Bruins play,yes I don’t expect them to win every game ,but game one at home it was terrible,I don’t know the reason but this team has had some terrible stinkers at home going back awhile now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah I was shocked at the Bruins play,yes I don’t expect them to win every game ,but game one at home it was terrible,I don’t know the reason but this team has had some terrible stinkers at home going back awhile now.

no clue either, despite the tone of my posts, I`m not close to counting them out as there is just too much veteran presence in that room, pride and resilience and one game, home ice loss or not, means little. As I mentioned, reading here a ton of posts leading up to game 1, far too many here made it sound or appear based on what they were posting that they were already preparing for the Bolts.

We have seen the B`s frustrate the Leafs by executing their game plan and that was with a lineup far more banged up than the one they`ll ice tonight, I`m not worried about them rebounding. Still have them winning in 6 and I`m not budging from it

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

About the only good chance they had after the pp goal Coyle rung the post.

Don’t know why they go in to that perimeter game but I’m sure (hope anyways) it was addressed.

Big boy pants time. If every other team in the playoffs can throw hits and get to the front of the net there’s zero excuse the Bruins can’t. Especially against that team

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
About the only good chance they had after the pp goal Coyle rung the post.

Don’t know why they go in to that perimeter game but I’m sure (hope anyways) it was addressed.

Big boy pants time. If every other team in the playoffs can throw hits and get to the front of the net there’s zero excuse the Bruins can’t. Especially against that team

The physical aspect of the game is a mindset IMO. You either have that will within you or you don`t, as you said, we`ll get to see who has the big boy pants. That Coyle line was literally the only line working the board battles with any efficiency. While Andersson struggled down the stretch, firing a wrister from the hash marks at the boards ain`t gonna do it and you don`t have to be 6`3 to cause fits for a goalie or D-man

Reactions: easton117

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
no clue either, despite the tone of my posts, I`m not close to counting them out as there is just too much veteran presence in that room, pride and resilience and one game, home ice loss or not, means little. As I mentioned, reading here a ton of posts leading up to game 1, far too many here made it sound or appear based on what they were posting that they were already preparing for the Bolts.

We have seen the B`s frustrate the Leafs by executing their game plan and that was with a lineup far more banged up than the one they`ll ice tonight, I`m not worried about them rebounding. Still have them winning in 6 and I`m not budging from it
I have know doubt the Bruins can be better,this is huge game,they can’t go to Toronto down two games,I really don’t think they could win 4 out of five,need to get it done tonight.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Not matching Toronto's speed and game again tonight is key. Don't play their game or they will slaughter us...

Bruins need to cycle the puck, keep possession in the O-zone, wear the D the F*** down. Play heavy, hit, grind, forecheck and make them keep their heads up. Clog the neutral zone, eliminate their stretch passes. Make their star players pay the price everytime they touch the puck. Frustrate them enough to make mistakes. Capitalize on those mistakes, and crush their hearts on the power play. Toronto is mentally fragile when put under pressure. Take the wind out of their sails. If the Bruins play their game, they win this series. Play playoff hockey and let's F*** these guys up. Go Bruins!

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad