Post-Game Talk: ECQF Game 1: New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeaverTail

Oct 9, 2014
Worst call you’ve ever seen? Yet 58.8% of people in the poll on this site say it was a good call and only 24.1% say bad. Majority of neutral hockey analysts have also said it was a good call. You’d be stretching it to say it was even a 50/50 call. But hey you’re definitely right and not biased at all.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Isn’t this what the team was expecting at the beginning of the season? The goal was to make the playoffs and have a decent showing. Maybe win a round or get lucky and win two. Having the season that they did spoiled everyone into believing that they are contenders.
This loss might actually benefit the team for the future. It will show them what is really needed to become champs.
Its only one game and they still are the better team.

Yeah I don't disagree. They can learn a lot from last nights game.

I still think they can beat the Pens but they still have a decent amount of growing to do.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Strome is a decent player, but if I have to see him miss another open net!

This playoffs should make/break a case for him staying here.
Nope his sorry ass should have been dealt over a yr ago
Admit it, I was right
No no, Gallant knows Strome is a 43% faceoff guy his entire career. Obviously hes the logical choice lol
Failure to include/develop Krav and otherwise move on is killing us.
coaches demand vets and GMCD has wood for Krav
we suffer
Copp is a center. Winnipeg had circumstances pushing Copp to the wing.

Here? Gallant has no excuse. Strome is complete garbage. Can't win a face-off to save his life and he's not exactly a Selke candidate.

Copp is actually very good defensively and he's good on faceoffs.

This is all Gallant being a typical dinosaur old-boys club hockey coach unwilling to pull his own head out of his rear end and stop playing with his broken dysfunctional toys instead of using the brand new functional gift that Drury fed him on a silver platter.

Copp is exactly what this team needs in the middle with Panarin on the 2nd line.
bold: THANK YOU
I don't think Vatrano is the issue with the top line, but Kakko is the better player so I wouldn't mind seeing him get back up on that line or even putting Laf in that spot. I don't think you can move Chytil off that third line because he's the engine that gets that line into the offensive zone. I think moving Chytil up neuters the bottoms six. Mika and Kreider need to realize the regular season is over. We won't have a top line till that happens. Strome was probably the best player in the top six last game and that just can't continue to happen. If Mika and Kreider wake up the rangers should have an easy series the rest of the way.
highlights are correct imo
View attachment 540398

Was looking at some stats from last night and the line data from moneypuck falls in line with what I felt like I saw for the most part. That 1st line was awful, and hasn't worked for a while now. The kid line occasionally makes some decent plays(I think it might just be Kakko doing Kakko things), but that said I don't think the kid line has ever worked, even during the regular season that line's xG% was consistently in the 30s. 4th line is just lol but he didn't give them a ton of ice time at least. and hey big hits! Going forward we're going to need more then one line that works especially if we want to go on a run. Will be interesting to see if he shakes things up.

Looking at the faceoff data, because it felt like we were dominated... but NHL says we won 47% of them so idk. Only real issue with faceoffs was Chytil went 1/10 lol... doesn't help that line when he loses all 5 Ozone draws GG gives them. Also of note, Copp took 22 faceoffs to Strome's 12, but Strome actually won close to 70%, while Copp was more 50/50.
We need this:

Goodrow - Copp - Panarin
protects breadman from a beating, has interconnecting usefulness

Vatrano - Chytil - Kappo
V is the improved version of what we hope is min for LaF in the future but available now. C + K work well together no expl necessary and V is a scorer finisher

That leaves
Kreider - Zib - Krav

and
a checking line
LaF Rooney Reaves dont care no Strome

Reactions: NikC

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Panarin might demand a trade if he's forced to play with Goodrow and Copp.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The tough thing is that this kind of makes Thursday nights game a must win.

You can see the experience with Pitt. Crosby was a force to be reckoned with all night long.
Yep. Crosby was awesome and I hate to say it but so was Gentzel. I think it’ll be tough to stop that line so they had better shut down the other lines. Malkin is a short tempered man-child. He’s the guy they need to go at. He’s gonna do some real dumb shit.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yes, bc if you watched the game we got severly outplayed after the 1st period. Our stars look like shit. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Not one had a good game. The kids were the best players but dont forget our stars are the ones making the big bucks and are signed long term. We are stuck with them.

secondly, the refs will control this game towards the pens. We lost Lindgren who is replaced with ahl defensman tinordi or braun.

thirdly, we lost home ice advantage.

lastly, we just dont have real leadership in the locker room.

Like i said, we are going to be swept. 70% of game 1 winners win the round. We just arent there this year. And i hope we can just get one before losing. IT would be a massive growing experience for our kids.
Holy overreaction, Batman.

Everybody sucks.

The refs are in the tank.

No leadership in the locker room.

In a game that went to 3OTs.

Great analysis.

Thankfully, you won't need to watch the rest of the series.

me neither
It's because some people are less than bright.

Nope his sorry ass should have been dealt over a yr ago
Admit it, I was right

Failure to include/develop Krav and otherwise move on is killing us.
coaches demand vets and GMCD has wood for Krav
we suffer

bold: THANK YOU

highlights are correct imo

We need this:

Goodrow - Copp - Panarin
protects breadman from a beating, has interconnecting usefulness

Vatrano - Chytil - Kappo
V is the improved version of what we hope is min for LaF in the future but available now. C + K work well together no expl necessary and V is a scorer finisher

That leaves
Kreider - Zib - Krav

and
a checking line
LaF Rooney Reaves dont care no Strome
Strome was arguably their best forward, but agenda.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
Yes, bc if you watched the game we got severly outplayed after the 1st period. Our stars look like shit. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Not one had a good game. The kids were the best players but dont forget our stars are the ones making the big bucks and are signed long term. We are stuck with them.

secondly, the refs will control this game towards the pens. We lost Lindgren who is replaced with ahl defensman tinordi or braun.

thirdly, we lost home ice advantage.

lastly, we just dont have real leadership in the locker room.

Like i said, we are going to be swept. 70% of game 1 winners win the round. We just arent there this year. And i hope we can just get one before losing. IT would be a massive growing experience for our kids.
Lol so you thought we where there this year 😂 made my day.

Best loss a young team like the Rangers, a future powerhouse could have had, amazing effort, huge lessons learned. You gotta lose to become great.

All these fans that are already watching to see if the Rangers can win the SC this year need a reality check. Or should consider a standup comedian career.

What a great game that was and how valuable for the future, we can only hope, as we could have only hoped before this round, that we can see the second round. Top players, top teams get the refs on their side in every sport, what the Rangers need to do is get in that position. And deal with what Is there now. Play smarter, more mean and more direct.

Hyped for tonight, win or no win, hope to see a great effort from our boys, I am already set up for another great game.

Reactions: Larrybiv and TheBPA

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Panarin might demand a trade if he's forced to play with Goodrow and Copp.
1. too effin bad
2. He's a brilliant player, but he needs the protection cause obv, opposition gonna take a run at him if they can, so he can park his ego or gtfo which = too effin bad.
3. We got the best of him. May have another 2 or so yrs before possible decline. If we got zero back for him, and cap returned was minimal or could be moved, we would recover around 11m of cap which would solve A LOT of problems. Hence, and so again, too effin bad.

..... Strome was arguably their best forward, but agenda.
Arguably he was not.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Strome couldn't find the defensive zone on a map, Chytil has won seven faceoffs in his career, and Rooney sucks at everything.

The Rangers saying "we're not sure he's a center" is like Keith Richards saying "I'm not sure that should go up my nose."
Agree on the bold, less so the other criticisms.

You can't always get what you want.
But if for just once
they listened to bern
they might then have
what they need!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Total overreaction-- like totally not even believable. You think Jones whose maybe 5 foot 8 and maybe 175 pounds is such a difference maker that if he does not play next game the Rangers will be swept? I'm not sure I've read a more overrated player take since NHL experts called Lias Anderson " NHL ready right out of the draft."
He's 5'10".
that is the bottom of cutting it for not being NHL level short, imo, but that is what it is, no more, no less

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
1. too effin bad
2. He's a brilliant player, but he needs the protection cause obv, opposition gonna take a run at him if they can, so he can park his ego or gtfo which = too effin bad.
3. We got the best of him. May have another 2 or so yrs before possible decline. If we got zero back for him, and cap returned was minimal or could be moved, we would recover around 11m of cap which would solve A LOT of problems. Hence, and so again, too effin bad.

Arguably he was not.
Good to see you admit he's part of the discussion for best forward that game.

Go Rangers

Mar 16, 2022
Franklin Tn
We got Robbed, plain and simple. Never seen a worse call in my life. Kakko was clearly bumped into the netminder. The goal clearly should have counted. I don't know how the refs looking at the replay could have reversed the decision on the ice.

This wasn't an errant hooking call. This was more than likely a game 1 win on home ice they disallowed.

This is what we got to look forward to, the rest of the series? Incompetent officiating? I'm not even mentioning Lindgren's clean standup hit at the blueline they were looking to call a major on. I never seen anything like this.

I am beyond mad. I want revenge on those zebras. There is no explanation they could make to validate their decisions.

It' s easy to blame a loss on bad officiating. But this was ridiculous. They reversed a call on the ice after thoroughly reviewing the play. There is no excuse for that. They also reviewed the call on Lindgren. Come on, how is that a penalty? He was just standing there, bracing himself and Rackel ran into him. This is a travesty beyond belief.

These refs should be hog tied and put by the bed of a river in the Serengeti, filled with crocs, just like the rest of the dumb ass zebras.
They’re just following orders.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
They’re just following orders.
Following orders? Calling penalties that aren't penalties is following orders? That's new.

Toronto reversing a play on the ice, deliberately and erroneously. They have every camera angle covered to review. How can they do this with less than 5 minutes left in the game? Without concrete evidence to reverse the decision on the ice?

They are going have to call a perfect game in game 2, and you know that is not gonna happen. Trouba will lay out a Penguin with a clean monster hit and get a game misconduct. Cause no one is gonna dial down how hard they hit someone. This is Playoff hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad