Post-Game Talk: ECQF Game 1: New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Pens needed every bit of help they could possibly get from the refs/Toronto last night to eke out an OT win. Once/if Gallant and the Ranger vets get their sh*t sorted out this series should still heavily favor the Rangers. Zib, Kreider, Trouba, Panarin (yes, probably injured but still), Nemeth and many others did not play well last night individually or as a team. This is fixable but they need to wake up, this is the post season and many of them have shown nothing for too many post season games now. Maybe first game nerves got the better of them, several players burnt out early. Gallant's coaching was weak.
Agreed. Sullivan did a better job coaching last night. He had two centers out for defensive draws in the first period. Rode Crosby/Guentzel as much as he could and looked for mismatches by putting Crosby out against the Kid line and Nemeth/Schneider. Gallant had an extra center out in one of the OT's (I think the second).
Gallant needs to worry about matchups because it will get worse in Pittsburgh.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Agreed. Sullivan did a better job coaching last night. He had two centers out for defensive draws in the first period. Rode Crosby/Guentzel as much as he could and looked for mismatches by putting Crosby out against the Kid line and Nemeth/Schneider. Gallant had an extra center out in one of the OT's (I think the second).
Gallant needs to worry about matchups because it will get worse in Pittsburgh.
The matchups became such an issue because the rangers top line did so poorly. Crosby wouldn't be able to be out there so much if Mika and Kreider could actually force them to defend. That's the best way to tire out the opposition.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Dante's Peak is on the TV. If you don't know Dante's Peak, it's a 1997 flick starring Pierce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton about a volcano going active over a small town in the Northwest. I'm watching this volcano blow its load right now, kinda like the Rangers blew its load but too early. This volcano has waited till the end to blow its load.

Reactions: DialUp

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
We got Robbed, plain and simple. Never seen a worse call in my life. Kakko was clearly bumped into the netminder. The goal clearly should have counted. I don't know how the refs looking at the replay could have reversed the decision on the ice.

This wasn't an errant hooking call. This was more than likely a game 1 win on home ice they disallowed.

This is what we got to look forward to, the rest of the series? Incompetent officiating? I'm not even mentioning Lindgren's clean standup hit at the blueline they were looking to call a major on. I never seen anything like this.

I am beyond mad. I want revenge on those zebras. There is no explanation they could make to validate their decisions.

It' s easy to blame a loss on bad officiating. But this was ridiculous. They reversed a call on the ice after thoroughly reviewing the play. There is no excuse for that. They also reviewed the call on Lindgren. Come on, how is that a penalty? He was just standing there, bracing himself and Rackel ran into him. This is a travesty beyond belief.

These refs should be hog tied and put by the bed of a river in the Serengeti, filled with crocs, just like the rest of the dumb ass zebras.

Last edited:

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Crosby is 34 and Malkin is 35, Letang 34, Carter 36. They are not in their prime.

So theyre bums?

A guy who scored 31 goals and 85 points in 69 games

A guy who scored 20 goals in 41 games

A guy whos always great when healthy

And a guy whos a shell of himself but still a secondary contributor and playoff vet?

Yeah this team composition should have just given up. Rangers should have a bye into round 2.

Doesn't it look like Strome tipped Fox's shot at 0:50? I played the video at 0.25x speed and the puck definitely looks like it changes direction.

I definitely thought strome tipped the puck in 1 of the replays i saw last night. When i saw other replays i wasnt to sure.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Hope we don't get referee Chris CrosLee anymore going forward

The way playoff officiating goes the only way we would see chris lee again in round 1 is if he was assigned game 7. Chris lee will likely make it to rd 2 but I would assume gord dwyer, wes mccauley, kelly sutherland, dan o rourke, steve kozari, kevin pollack would be more likely to do a game 7.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
We also didn't go to the net nearly enough. You need to make the goalie's life hard. And we didn't. That should have been strategy #1 especially with a backup and a backup backup.

I was also really happy to see how the kids played. That third line was playing unreal.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Convince me to watch the rest of the series.

Late-third period, 3-3, Kakko & Chytil make the most significant, magical play of their young careers—all but wrapping the Rangers’ first [real] playoff game since Gorton tore everything down. It never even entered my mind that the goal wouldn’t stand.

NHL robs that moment from them and us, then puts us through an agonizing three more periods until we lose.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
I agree but disagree. The Rangers clearly were gassed as the game went on but I think its BECAUSE they are young. Too many players who are young and aren't used to the playoffs. They got all amped up and used up a ton of energy in the beginning of the game and emptied their tanks. Its like racing full speed out of the gate at a marathon. You'll look great for a bit but your finish is going to look terrible. With experience comes the knowledge you have to manage your energy through the whole game (including potential lengthy OTs) and a long series.

On the flip side, I feel like a long grueling Game 1 can pay off. Pittsburg is older and will have a lot more aches and pains this morning than ours. Our younger roster should recover faster so if they can learn some lessons from last night they can keep going strong.

At the end of they day, we have a young untested roster. They could have come out wide-eyed and gotten flattened by the intensity of the playoffs. That wasn't the case at all. They came out strong and they did a lot of things they can build off of. As fans we're all disappointed but it's not like the sky is falling - that was a pretty solid showing from such a young roster and I feel like it bodes well going forward, this year and the next few.
Isn’t this what the team was expecting at the beginning of the season? The goal was to make the playoffs and have a decent showing. Maybe win a round or get lucky and win two. Having the season that they did spoiled everyone into believing that they are contenders.
This loss might actually benefit the team for the future. It will show them what is really needed to become champs.
Its only one game and they still are the better team.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Christ! Even the Pens own announcer says it's a good goal.

If the Rangers, don't win this series, this will leave a bad taste no matter what happens further. And this is only the first game, God help us.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Being we were robbed last night, I can't get into the specifics on how we played. Other than to say Panarin forgot to bring his magic wand and cape to the game last night. Meanwhile Sid and Maklin brought theirs.

Reactions: AirGut

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Time to bury this bullshit game and man up for tomorrow.

We’re better

Abooch68

Aug 31, 2008
Watching all these other games and the penalties that are being called. To only get one call in 5.5 periods is ridiculous. No way the Pens committed only one infraction that whole time.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Saying it's one of the worst calls you've ever seen is quite the overreaction.

LoveGoons

Mar 3, 2021
I am watching the other series and I am not seeing the level of team defense or grit needed to our series…our top two lines need to play much better or we are going to get swept. Did not see effort to play in the dirty areas from the top two lines after the 1st period. Currently watching the canes vs the bruins, the level of nastiness would send our top two line crying into the locker room.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
I’m not trying to over react and I do think the rangers will tie this series up tomorrow , but some of you guys keep commenting on how this game went 3 oT and Pittsburgh barely beat us but they also were hitting the post numerous times. We got very lucky

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
We need to tighten up but we are right there. Lost a 50/50 game only because of a clear officiating edge in favor of PIT. The young guys I thought mostly looked great. Fox, Miller, Laf, Chytil, Kakko. Not to mention Lindgren who really gutted it out.

The Pens stars were better then ours in Game 1. Kreider, Mika, Panarin & Trouba we’re all meh at best. I expect they will be much better in game 2.

My only worry is they dwell on Game 1 and it drags into the next one. They are saying the right things and have been resilient all year so I’m optimistic.

Series is far from over

Reactions: AirGut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad