Post-Game Talk: ECQF Game 1: New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The Rangers have a sixth defenseman problem. Nemeth, Braun, Hajek, Jones, Lundkvist et al. do not cut the cheese. Plenty of bodies, but all liabilities this postseason. I give Drury credit for trying to fix the issue by acquiring Braun--but Braun doesn't appear to be a viable solution.

Rangers had their opportunities last night. Pens down one top-six forward and two goalies. Rangers couldn't get it done. Rangers got too fancy, instead of just throwing the puck on net (until the third-stringer came in). Dirty goals win playoff games. There were questionable calls on both sides. Lindgren could have stayed a major or even involved a suspension. The refs held their whistle on some obvious trips by the Rangers in the third period. The Kakko play was borderline. I understand the call. It went both ways.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Nearly impossible to win a tight playoff game twice. That goal should have counted, but it was close. Could have gone either way and it did. Never leave it in the hands of the officials. Yes the call sucked. But they had 3 more periods of hockey to win the game. They didn't get the job done, and never really even mounted significant scoring chances against a backup who was coming right off the bench.

Was so proud of this team after the first period. I simply cannot remember a first period that was as physically dominating as they were. Then...WTF?

Couple of things really stood out as the game progressed.

The best player on the ice took over, and the Rangers let him do it. Crosby picked that team up on his back. He and Guentzel elevated their game to an elite level. The Rangers didn't have an answer for it. Truth is they lost that game in the 2nd period. Complete momentum swing that put the Rangers on their heels. Kreider and Mika combined for a beautiful short handed goal that seems to swing momentum but only for a short while. After that there was a good 3 mins of hockey pinned in their own end.

The Kakko play was beautiful. He drove the net like Rick Nash used to do in his prime. More importantly he did it when the game was on the line and it mattered. This kid gets so much flak for not producing at an elite level but he really is a strong player, and i thought last night he was a big factor. Its unfortunate the goal was called off for interference. Truth is i think the club was lucky that Kakko was even able to create that scoring chance. I felt like the Rangers in general weren't competing to win. They were laying back, and in laying back they were giving up significant chances.

This is where leadership really needs to take charge. I didn't see that happen last night. The team just didn't have that guy that could elevate his game, other then Shestorkin.

The facoff circle is something that the Advanced stats crew seems to think doesn't matter. Last night, it was never more clear that it does matter. The Rangers struggled there, and ultimately had a hard time in their own end. It was cringeworthy.

Lastly, I only question this about tomorrows game. Who is going too be the players that take over the game? Does this 2022 NYR club have those guys that elevate when it matters and the games get heavy?
The way they came out off the jump in Period 1 was that elevation. They played a top to bottom outstanding 1st period.

It cost a ton of physical and emotional energy to do that however, that left little in the tank for the rest of the game. Pens collected themselves and had the NYR on their heels the rest of the night. That IMO is experience. It is also really good coaching and smart play by Sullivan and Crosby.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Lots of Rangers had good games. The players who found a higher gear included Miller, Strome, and Laf. I also liked Copp and Panarin's game, although Panarin's upper body injury appears to be impacting his ability to shoot (like Jagr in 2006).

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Lots of Rangers had good games. The players who found a higher gear included Miller, Strome, and Laf. I also liked Copp and Panarin's game, although Panarin's upper body injury appears to be impacting his ability to shoot (like Jagr in 2006).

I don't know. Panarin is never a shoot first player. He wound up big on the slapper that was blocked in OT and seemed fine. I didn't see much to be worried about other than the fact that both he and Fox passed up some glorious opportunities, especially in OT.

Reaves was exciting in the first and a severe liability afterwards. He shouldn't be playing. Rooney sucks as well and I know it won't happen but I'd pop Brod in over him. Hunt-Brod-Goodrow would be a good forechecking 4th line.

Braun should have been given an extended look on his off-side to get comfortable in place of Nemeth. Another poor coaching decision.

The only major surprise for me last night was how atrocious Trouba was.

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
Ever hear the saying, "the higher the highs, the lower the lows"?

That perfectly describes our first and second periods last night. The fact that we didn't have a 3 or 4 zip lead after one was demoralizing.

In the second, we had no answer for the Crosby line. Our first line needed to do a better job against them and they didn't. We don't have the D men to stop the Crosby line. Our forwards need to play a bigger roles defending them. Kreider seemed disinterested and lost out there last night.

Need to be more consistent in our effort next game.

LGR!

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Also, while I understand a lot of the negativity in here and all, I'm sure others have said it, but god I love Igor. Looking at those numbers last night, it's just so insane. The guy was so calm and just making hard save after hard save look easy.

I really hope he stays healthy and has a long career here. Guy has the potential to be one of the best goalies in NHL history. He is really special.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
The reality of last night is that we played a really great game(other than the 2nd period, which is painfully consistent with this team). The Rangers are a menacing, heavy, skilled team, with heart. Shittsburgh has 1 line and that's the Crosby line. The other lines felt very containable for most of the game. Obviously Geno is still a great player but he's not what he once was. The Rangers have 3 pretty decent lines that can score and if Zibby's line can create a little more danger in the offensive zone, this series is going to take a dramatic swing in our direction. I get it, 3OT loss is dramatic and painful. I still believe in our boys. We're deeper, tougher, have the better special teams and have the best goaltender on the planet. We got this.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Kreider and Mika need to ramp it up a notch or we're toast this series. They both have the speed and size to win board battles and drive to the net. They have to do it consistently. Kakko or Laf may be more useful instead of Vatrano but it's Kreider's and Mika's line and they have to own up to it. That line got embarrassed last night and they need to respond in game two.

Reactions: CLW

0ldTimeHockey

Oct 31, 2021
Losing the game really sucks but whats worse is what someone above mentioned and that is fitness. It was clear as day that the Penguins were vastly superior as the game went on and that is quite inexcusible from an organizational standpoint considering they have a much older team.

Reactions: Kravtsov420

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
The reality of last night is that we played a really great game(other than the 2nd period, which is painfully consistent with this team). The Rangers are a menacing, heavy, skilled team, with heart. Shittsburgh has 1 line and that's the Crosby line. The other lines felt very containable for most of the game. Obviously Geno is still a great player but he's not what he once was. The Rangers have 3 pretty decent lines that can score and if Zibby's line can create a little more danger in the offensive zone, this series is going to take a dramatic swing in our direction. I get it, 3OT loss is dramatic and painful. I still believe in our boys. We're deeper, tougher, have the better special teams and have the best goaltender on the planet. We got this.
I like the optimism because all that is true. None of us should be angry with the team if/when we lose the series ultimately. It is unfair to this club to expect to win when you are out shot and out powerplayed considerably. Last night we still came close given those factors but there is no momentum game to game. Each game is it's own world and tomorrow could be awesome or a shit show.
I don't know if we could learn anything from playing against Sid and Malkin. They have killed us for almost 20 years. They will get all the calls because that is the kind of players they are. They draw calls and they don't get calls against them. It just is. Rangers have to be 3 or 4 "goals" better than them a game to win by 1. I won't be mad if they lose, just mad we had to lose to THEM.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I think that was the best possible period of hockey from the Penguins and the worst possible period of hockey from us in the 2nd period.

We have the younger legs and think we will be ready to go in game 2. The team has responded to adversity all season.

They win game 2. And game 3.

Reactions: Go Rangers

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
And every other sport is more definitive than what this bush league has.

The NFL completely changed what a receiving touchdown is after years of interpretation, so yes it is possible DOBO boy.
Butt disrespectful to the coaching profession. Enjoy the ban. Cised.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Losing the game really sucks but whats worse is what someone above mentioned and that is fitness. It was clear as day that the Penguins were vastly superior as the game went on and that is quite inexcusible from an organizational standpoint considering they have a much older team.
As I said earlier, I don't think it's a training issue. Crosby, Letang and Guentzel looked the same in OT3 as in the 1st period. Those three are flat out amazing. Considering the ages of Crosby and Letang, it's insane.

Makes sense that the players easily voted Crosby the best player in the NHL, even at 36. I know a lot of folks hate him here, but he is one of the very best I've ever seen.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Your conclusion after a game in which we were leading or tied for 5+ periods is that we're getting swept?

Yes, bc if you watched the game we got severly outplayed after the 1st period. Our stars look like shit. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Not one had a good game. The kids were the best players but dont forget our stars are the ones making the big bucks and are signed long term. We are stuck with them.

secondly, the refs will control this game towards the pens. We lost Lindgren who is replaced with ahl defensman tinordi or braun.

thirdly, we lost home ice advantage.

lastly, we just dont have real leadership in the locker room.

Like i said, we are going to be swept. 70% of game 1 winners win the round. We just arent there this year. And i hope we can just get one before losing. IT would be a massive growing experience for our kids.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Yup, he completely blocked the clear attempt right before the goal.

Also did anyone count the amount of shifts the crosby line had in the second?
I swear they were out there the entire period. And I was yelling at my TV like a mindless Neanderthal that one line was owning the entire Rangers bench. How could a bench full of players possibly get run by 3 guys on the other team, it's not basketball. There wasn't enough urgency from the top guys on our team.

Reactions: Cmox

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Was probably Strome's best game of the year. That was a tough pass to convert on. Otherwise, he was fine.

Strome was really good last night, I agree.

Also I agree on that pass he missed/whiffed on, it was made too close and placed too far ahead of him to really connect. (it's what I saw even in real time)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It's not uncommon for a young team like the Rangers to have a great regular season, over perform expectations and then get shit on in the playoffs. It often results in a significant growth development for the young leaders on that team, however and acts a building block to grow from.

I never expected us to go all the way this year. Still a lot of games to be played. But just seeing how Kakko, Chytil, Laf & Miller performed last night was huge to me from a future perspective.
Sad part is can't really blame the young ones for last night. IMO Miller was amazing. The kid line was ok and pretty good in the first. Heck even Shesty (some can say his real first NHL playoff game).
Bottom line the problem last night was the vets. Kreider, Mika, Trouba, Nemeth. They were simply outplayed by their opposition.
So the positive is that they can hopefully come out and play like they can or this will be pens in 5 or 6.

Brother Mouzone

May 23, 2014
RED: IMHO this will end up benefiting the Rangers in the end .......

Reactions: Unpredictable1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad