Post-Game Talk: ECQF Game 1: New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Cant win a series if you cant win a game. We sadly cant win a playoff game. we cant lose in 5 unless we win a game lol. Hopefully we can get one this year and build on it for next season
Post automatically merged:

Lol dont worry, GG will replace the injured lindgren with Braun.

4-1 loss thursday. maybe we win 1 in pittsburgh but doubtful. 4-0 sweep by the pens

Total overreaction-- like totally not even believable. You think Jones whose maybe 5 foot 8 and maybe 175 pounds is such a difference maker that if he does not play next game the Rangers will be swept? I'm not sure I've read a more overrated player take since NHL experts called Lias Anderson " NHL ready right out of the draft."

Reactions: haveandare

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Total overreaction-- like totally not even believable. You think Jones whose maybe 5 foot 8 and maybe 175 pounds is such a difference maker that if he does not play next game the Rangers will be swept? I'm not sure I've read a more overrated player take since NHL experts called Lias Anderson " NHL ready right out of the draft."

What im saying is either way we are f***ed. Braun sucks and roams the ice, cant stick to playing defense. and Zac Jones wont get a shot anyway.

Im saying we are getting swept no matter what after game 1. I think the pens will sweep us. Im hopeful we can get one win so that we have something to build off of for next year

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Outside of Fox, he's the only guy on this roster who can actually make quick, accurate outlet passes out of our own zone.

Miller is at his best when he's skating it out, but his passing isn't there yet.
This assumes the guy would ever get the puck and have the time to actually make a play. The playoffs are not the regular season-- you have to win puck battles and I don't see any evidence Jones can do that.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Couple of thoughts.

1. What we saw tonight is an inexperienced playoff team Vs an experienced team. It’s a marathon not a sprint. You could tell they had nothing left towards the end of the 2nd OT and it was just a matter of time.

2. Face offs matter big time in the playoffs. I think we can put to rest that that they don’t.

3. Patrick Nemeth is who we thought he was. Who would have thought, what we were afraid of happening (playing this chump and him biting us in the ass when things matter). Why do the Rangers always have to have that token terrible d-man while having better options?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Either the camera angle is not showing it, or there is a real lack of forward support on the breakouts.

I watch other teams and games and when they have a defender with the puck behind their own goal, they routinely have forwards circling back in the D zone to help create passing lanes and opportunities for a breakout.

What I see from the Rangers, consistently, is defender with the puck behind the net, his partner stationary off to the L/R and hardly any forwards coming back in the zone to help out.

That allows for the opposition to provide a heavier forecheck which causes another issue I see with this team that I do not see nearly as often with other teams.

The complete shanking of simple clearing attempts. Guys do not seem to get pucks out cleanly and often times have it blocked or they just shank it like they are rushing (panicking???)

Lastly, these little soft poke-checks and touch passes in the neutral zone where a more forceful effort is required is completely maddening.

Last nights game could have and should have been shut down in the 2nd period, but the team got cute and paid the price. They got away from how they played in the 1st and paid the price in the 2nd.

they were lucky to get to the 3rd tied.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So… 93 people have voted in this poll and only 81 have chosen Shesterkin. The 12 who thought there were 3 better Rangers last night need to step forward and head over to the Penguins boards.

Reactions: Thordic and bl02

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As far as the call goes, first of all, we did not deserve to win that game, let's be real.

That being said, what annoys me about it is that sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. And it's with a variety of scenarios too. We see it all the time with kicked-in goals.

Of all the sports I watch, and I watch all of them, hockey has the most subjective set of rules and by far the most of these scenarios where the call is an opinion. A lot of people think it was the right call, and that's fine. I don't care. I don't want to lose a f***ing opinion.

There was a time in soccer...let me explain this so that those unfamiliar can pick it right up. If you look at the field, there's a big box around the net and a little box around the net. Once upon a time, inside that little box, if the goalkeeper pulled out a knife and stabbed a forward, it was a foul on the forward and the goalkeeper got possession. The onus was on the attacker, and you could not f***ing touch the goalkeeper. Period. If he initiated contact, it was still your fault. Was it fair? No. Was it consistent? Yes. They've since changed the rule to add f***ing opinions to it and you know what? I prefer consistent over fair.

I would like to see a rule here where the onus is on the defender to an extreme if he hits a forward and the goalie goes down. If you bump a guy going to the net and he Kreiders right into your goaltender, then f*** you, you should have defended better and not let him through at all. Let guys drive to the net. God forbid hockey is exciting.

I would go the other way with kicks because it's hockey, not soccer. Redirect my ass. If your leg is moving and the puck hit your skate, you f***ing kicked it. Use your stick.

That's it. Let's have real rules instead of speculating as we go along.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
This assumes the guy would ever get the puck and have the time to actually make a play. The playoffs are not the regular season-- you have to win puck battles and I don't see any evidence Jones can do that.
Puck battles aren't just about whacking away along the boards with strength.

All jones needs is a second with the puck on his blade to move it. He doesn't stand there frozen like other defenseman we have. It's on and off his blade immediately.

Yes he's small and bigger players can muscle him around. Almost all Dmen have flaws. There's only 1 Victor Hedman. But again his skillset is something only 1 other guy on this roster has.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Powerplays 4-1, they get a 5 on 3 on a soft call, they overturn a late goal with no conclusive evidence to overturn. How can you not point your finger at the refs? Whens the last time a team went 106 consecutive minutes with only taking 1 penalty?
Even more so 98 minutes with no penalty ???? Unreal.

Reactions: Daves a mess

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Panarin, Kreider, Copp, Miller, Trouba combined for 41 giveaways.

Penguins whole team combined for 45 giveaways.

Maybe they could manage the puck a little better?
That pretty much tells the story. Unreal stat and the eye test saw the same thing. Your best players (4 being "vets") gave the puck up more than the entire penguins team. holy crap just think about that.

Reactions: Off Sides

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I lost any confidence in this series

This team needs to figure out why they were outplayed for 4 straight periods after dominating every aspect of the game for the first 25 minutes.

Giving up 25 shots in the second period at MSG is inexcusable. And worrisome, because that appears to be either a huge systematic breakdown or being completely outworked.

Why do I want Sammy Blais back right now? Don't know. Haven't thought much of him prior, but do like what he brings.

Tyler Motte needs to be back by game 4.

Hunt gets the shot over Reavo for game 2.

Reactions: bl02

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Were Panarin-Strome-Copp getting most of the easier matchups? I didn't watch the shitshow before like 2OT because I had a night shift, but it sounded on the radio like they had most of the chances and I saw that xG% chart too.

I never really loved Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich as a "matchup line," so trying to play that back with Frank Vatrano doesn't really work for me.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
70% of game 1 winners win the series. We lost home ice. We have no true leader (messier) to bring us into the fight and back it up on the ice. We lost lindgren which means braun is in with nemeth. Our top guys have gone missing. We havent one a playoff game counting the bubble in 5 years. We needed to win game 1 in order for our guys to have confidence. We dont have it. Game 1 was huge for us.

Hopefully we can win a game or two before being drop kicked out by the pens. Its a learning experience for our guys. Next year hopefully we can win a series or two.
Its one game.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think I got food poisoning last night, but saw just about all of it.

My biggest takeaway was to marvel at the conditioning of Crosby and Letang, as well as Guentzel and a couple other Penguins. Didn't see anywhere near the same from the Rangers.

Not blaming the conditioning the Rangers undergo. Some men are just amazing at breathing recovery.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Nearly impossible to win a tight playoff game twice. That goal should have counted, but it was close. Could have gone either way and it did. Never leave it in the hands of the officials. Yes the call sucked. But they had 3 more periods of hockey to win the game. They didn't get the job done, and never really even mounted significant scoring chances against a backup who was coming right off the bench.

Was so proud of this team after the first period. I simply cannot remember a first period that was as physically dominating as they were. Then...WTF?

Couple of things really stood out as the game progressed.

The best player on the ice took over, and the Rangers let him do it. Crosby picked that team up on his back. He and Guentzel elevated their game to an elite level. The Rangers didn't have an answer for it. Truth is they lost that game in the 2nd period. Complete momentum swing that put the Rangers on their heels. Kreider and Mika combined for a beautiful short handed goal that seems to swing momentum but only for a short while. After that there was a good 3 mins of hockey pinned in their own end.

The Kakko play was beautiful. He drove the net like Rick Nash used to do in his prime. More importantly he did it when the game was on the line and it mattered. This kid gets so much flak for not producing at an elite level but he really is a strong player, and i thought last night he was a big factor. Its unfortunate the goal was called off for interference. Truth is i think the club was lucky that Kakko was even able to create that scoring chance. I felt like the Rangers in general weren't competing to win. They were laying back, and in laying back they were giving up significant chances.

This is where leadership really needs to take charge. I didn't see that happen last night. The team just didn't have that guy that could elevate his game, other then Shestorkin.

The facoff circle is something that the Advanced stats crew seems to think doesn't matter. Last night, it was never more clear that it does matter. The Rangers struggled there, and ultimately had a hard time in their own end. It was cringeworthy.

Lastly, I only question this about tomorrows game. Who is going too be the players that take over the game? Does this 2022 NYR club have those guys that elevate when it matters and the games get heavy?

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think the Rangers could win this series still, yet they need to clean up their game. Longer term though, I think they need some forwards beyond Panarin and Zbad who have high end vision and playing making. Not lamenting over Zucc, but someone like him who sees the ice really well, but is a center, and fits under the cap.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Call were one sided but you can’t beat a team’s second/third string goalie?

Pittsburgh has you figured out and outclassed at 5v5. Better be alarmed cause Pittsburgh is not even that good.
The one important call killed the Rangers, but the refs missed a couple big ones against the Rangers, including one on Fox.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
You could tell which team which team was playing in its first (meaningful) playoff game in 5 years vs the seasoned playoff team.

We lack veteran playoff experience, which will be our downfall this year.

It's not uncommon for a young team like the Rangers to have a great regular season, over perform expectations and then get shit on in the playoffs. It often results in a significant growth development for the young leaders on that team, however and acts a building block to grow from.

I never expected us to go all the way this year. Still a lot of games to be played. But just seeing how Kakko, Chytil, Laf & Miller performed last night was huge to me from a future perspective.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
One last thing...to everyone there giving the mock cheers for icing so loud, even ESPN had to acknowledge it...I salute you with highest honors
bowing-thank-you.gif

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
What im saying is either way we are f***ed. Braun sucks and roams the ice, cant stick to playing defense. and Zac Jones wont get a shot anyway.

Im saying we are getting swept no matter what after game 1. I think the pens will sweep us. Im hopeful we can get one win so that we have something to build off of for next year

Your conclusion after a game in which we were leading or tied for 5+ periods is that we're getting swept?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad