Series Discussion: ECQF: (6) New York Rangers vs. (3) Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
BackstromGoal-NYRangers05052012.gif

Elbow extended right into Anisimov's face. Not a damn thing wrong with it either. Anisimov put himself in that position.

No chance. Square in the chest. You're chugging the haterade. I get it. I understand where you are going with this.

Stepan got fined. Its an outrage he didn't get suspended.

Del Zotto's was worse.

Both those plays ended in concussions for the players who got hit directly from the it. Thats a huge factor as well.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Wah, the refs made us lose. How many times has a Ranger thrown a puck at the crease from behind the redline to an uncovered teammate? It's so common I wonder if it's intentional on our part.

1) play some defense
2) stop passing around like the Harlem Globetrotters in the o zone. No one is impressed by your 90 second cycles that only generate a turnover.

They're playing soft and cute. Oates called them out on it before the game. Didn't do anything.

Soft. For sure they played that way last night. They weren't nearly as physical as they needed to be.

Cute I'm not sure about. The Rangers collapse pretty well and take away shooting angles. I saw them try to shoot it thru guys several times only to get blocked and turned the other way. I think they are indeed trying to get it to the net but didn't get it done.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
No chance. Square in the chest. You're chugging the haterade. I get it. I understand where you are going with this.

Stepan got fined. Its an outrage he didn't get suspended.

Del Zotto's was worse.

Both those plays ended in concussions for the players who got hit directly from the it. Thats a huge factor as well.
I have no idea what he's looking at. Unless he thinks the face is attached to the chest.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I have no idea what he's looking at. Unless he thinks the face is attached to the chest.

Brad is just hating. Sorta being a reverse homer fan. Huge difference between Backstrom's hits and those elbows not the least of which were to concussion results.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Oates needs to do something to get Ovechkin away from 27-5 when we go back to New York in game 6. Can't have Ovie be neutralized like he's been in the past two games. When things aren't going his way is when the lazy play returns.

Also, 90-19-8 has dried up. Time to shift things up.

With Erat:
16-9-8
10-19-20
25-85-42
90-26-83

No Erat:
16-9-8
90-19-20
25-85-42
24-26-83

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I don't see playing soft as their biggest issue last night. I thought their decisiin making and accuracy with the puck was. It led to failed clears, turnovers, and short stints in the offensive zone.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I don't see playing soft as their biggest issue last night. I thought their decisiin making and accuracy with the puck was. It led to failed clears, turnovers, and short stints in the offensive zone.
It sure at **** does help when they are getting manhandled at every battle, it seems.

The compete level just hasn't been there in NYC for whatever reason.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

I think they are connected. They didn't match the Rangers physicality which led to a great deal of turnovers. They didn't finish hits in the Dzone to create room to breakout easier.

In the offensive zone it was the same problem. They were good in the first 3 games but didn't show up physically last night.

Ovechkin was neutered in NY as the Refs apparently don't want him hitting. As he goes hitting wise so does the team.

Another year, another first round series lost coming up.

But hey, we make the playoffs a lot, I guess that is something (so says GMGM).

Chill out brother. Series is tied at 2 and there are always ebbs and flows to a series. Win on Friday then you will be making parade arrangements.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
It sure at **** does help when they are getting manhandled at every battle, it seems.

The compete level just hasn't been there in NYC for whatever reason.

True enough.

The Caps just aren't partcularly quick to the puck or strong on it, which gets them killed when they don't have the momentum. Its especially evident in the bottom half of the defense. Thats my one complaint about Erskine's game - for all his size and physical strength, he gets killed along the boards.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Oates

Well, this is where the rubber meets the road for him.

Everyone is/was excited about his abilities as a "tactician", and how he would change on the fly when it got hard in the playoffs.

Well, here we are. Its 2-2, we look like a dog just pooped us out, and the wheels are off.

Friday night will go down in Caps playoffs lore. Which way, is the question.

What is Erat's status? Missed him a lot.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I pray Oates has the guts to highlight/diagnose that pathetic effort in front of the whole team.

What purpose would that serve? He knows he messed up and so does the team. No need to dwell on it and Oates is not the kind of coach who will do that.

I don't believe its a particularly inspiring motivational tactic. Need to get them fired up and believing and there are other ways of doing that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What purpose would that serve? He knows he messed up and so does the team. No need to dwell on it and Oates is not the kind of coach who will do that.

I don't believe its a particularly inspiring motivational tactic. Need to get them fired up and believing and there are other ways of doing that.

Are you f'ing kidding me?!?!?!?!? NFL teams highlight "Loaf" plays every single week when breaking down game film.

You want your Captain to continue to F his own team over with that kind of effort? I'm sorry, he's my favorite player, but you can't overlook that crap if you're serious about winning championships. The Caps success hinges on one player playing well....and that's #8. Might as well tell the rest of the team to mail it in if you're going to ignore that crap.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Are you f'ing kidding me?!?!?!?!? NFL teams highlight "Loaf" plays every single week when breaking down game film.

You want your Captain to continue to F his own team over with that kind of effort? I'm sorry, he's my favorite player, but you can't overlook that crap if you're serious about winning championships.

Have you been following the season at all? Have you been following Oates' style at all?

He doesn't do things like that and the results have been good. Have faith in him.

CrashTheNet9

Jul 11, 2011
Does anyone think there is a chance we see Wilson in a Caps sweater if we make it to the next round?

I bring this up since Crabb and Wilson should be with the Caps by today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad