Series Discussion: ECQF: (6) New York Rangers vs. (3) Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Does anyone think there is a chance we see Wilson in a Caps sweater if we make it to the next round?

I bring this up since Crabb and Wilson should be with the Caps by today.

Highly unlikely IMO unless some injuries hit. I think they are calling him up to be around the experience.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Have you been following the last two games?

Yes. Why not follow a larger body of work?

2 games. One of which they played well and should have won. Both of which featured suspicious officiating.

Its not the end of the world.

Best of 3 now. 2 games at Verizon.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Too bad they dont have any LW help in Hershey.

No worries, we can move a RW over. Fehr is an early candidate, but Brouwer can move. So can Ovi.

I know I know we cant break up MP and Ward but I would like to see Ward get a shot on our top line if no one else can do jack **** up there. Ward was brought here to score playoff goals.

Ward, yeah we gotta play Ward. But then you stick him at 4RW - that does not make much sense to me. Moving him to 3 was overdue. But we have holes upstairs.

Time to stop ****ing around

Ward Nick Ovi
Fehr Ribs Brouwer
Chimera MP Wilson
Patti Hendricks Beagle

There is some serious beef in that lineup. MJ has been great, big fan, but his soft play on the puck is not being overcome by his speed.

I can't believe how easy the Rags defensemen have had it in this series. Did we hit any last night, even once?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yes. Why not follow a larger body of work?

2 games. One of which they played well and should have won. Both of which featured suspicious officiating.

Its not the end of the world.

Best of 3 now. 2 games at Verizon.

The larger body of work is completely irrelevant as is the whining about the refs. If you're on board with them maintaining the status quo and continuing down this path, I'll see you on the golf course where the Caps have more than enough postseason experience. Whining about the refs just give them the excuse that it's not their fault.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The larger body of work is completely irrelevant as is the whining about the refs. If you're on board with them maintaining the status quo and continuing down this path, I'll see you on the golf course where the Caps have more than enough postseason experience. Whining about the refs just give them the excuse that it's not their fault.

Again ..they deserved one game and didn't deserve the other. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not the Refs were a factor. Not an excuse mind you..but a factor.

Not every game is going to be a gem and last night certainly wasn't. Panic doesn't help.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Again ..they deserved one game and didn't deserve the other. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not the Refs were a factor. Not an excuse mind you..but a factor.

Not every game is going to be a gem and last night certainly wasn't. Panic doesn't help.

Please, you're suggesting panic. I'm suggesting some accountability. But hey, keep expecting nothing of your Captain and you'll keep getting bounced early from the postseason. No wonder McPhee is still here.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Please, you're suggesting panic. I'm suggesting some accountability. But hey, keep expecting nothing of your Captain and you'll keep getting bounced early from the postseason. No wonder McPhee is still here.

Out of all the reactionary posters CCF I think I'd be hard pressed to find one who has such ups and downs :)

Listen..I've been a fan along time...One thing that stuck out to me was back in 1990 my freinds and I went to a Caps playoff game 3 against the Devils who were favored against us. Series was tied at 1 and the Caps center was going crazy.

Devils ended up winning that game 2-1.

Anyhow we were dejected but still waiting for the players to get autographs post game. We figured the players would be crushed/panicking/in despair. They weren't.
More than one (Kypreos? May? Scotty?) had the attitude that "Hey we are going to kick their azz next game guys don't worry!"

Now the Caps won the first game of the series and had just lost 2 in a row. Didn't look good. But sure as the sun rises they came out and won the next 3 to take the series.

The point is to never get too high or too low. Certainly the players don't in most cases.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Guys they had 1 bad game. Can't remember the last time they've had 2 in a row. They usually bounce back very well.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Out of all the reactionary posters CCF I think I'd be hard pressed to find one who has such ups and downs :)

Listen..I've been a fan along time...One thing that stuck out to me was back in 1990 my freinds and I went to a Caps playoff game 3 against the Devils who were favored against us. Series was tied at 1 and the Caps center was going crazy.

Devils ended up winning that game 2-1.

Anyhow we were dejected but still waiting for the players to get autographs post game. We figured the players would be crushed/panicking/in despair. They weren't.
More than one (Kypreos? May? Scotty?) had the attitude that "Hey we are going to kick their azz next game guys don't worry!"

Now the Caps won the first game of the series and had just lost 2 in a row. Didn't look good. But sure as the sun rises they came out and won the next 3 to take the series.

The point is to never get too high or too low. Certainly the players don't in most cases.

I'm reactionary because I'm suggesting accountability....got it. I'm reactionary because we've never seen the Caps crap the bed and go down in flames...got it.

Reactionary is suggesting the Caps trade Ovechkin. Demanding accountability is something responsible people expect and do. Wonder what your position will be if they lose the next two with a whimper.

Dec 13, 2010
OK that was a shoulder reverse hit...

Look at the ones Stepan and Del Zotto did...they clearly extend the elbow into the face.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=31232487

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22015713/james-neal-leaves-game-after-questionable-michael-del-zotto-hit

Look at how Stepan and Del Zotto both extend out their elbows.

Comin in peace, was only browsing this thread to see what the comments were about Ovi and his backchecking (or lack thereof) and wanted to make a comment on this topic.

First of all, no comment on the fact that in the Stepan video he's crosschecked from behind into the boards and no penalty is called. Stepan gets his elbow up, but the refs don't call that because they missed a call between the same two players just seconds earlier. Might suck to hear but that's hockey, refs are conscious of that. I don't condone the elbow but Stepan's not a dirty player by any means.

The Del Zotto hit, although it didn't end well, was definitely not an attempted elbow by any means. He caught him with the elbow because Neal changes his trajectory, DZ is simply trying to defend himself from a guy who is skating directly at him while his back is turned to the boards. I'm sure he also knows that Pens players are allowed to take some extra liberties with their hits, so you have to protect yourself when vulnerable. That's clearly not an intentional elbow, and this is coming from someone who can't stand DZ and actually does think he's a dirty player generally.

The Backstrom elbow on Anisimov is pretty similar to the Stepan one in my eyes, only that Backstrom didn't get his up fast enough to clip Arty in the head. Same intention, different execution. It's a play that happens pretty often unfortunately, I'm not a fan of it, but I'm sure there are tons of examples of it from either team in this series that we just have barely noticed.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm reactionary because I'm suggesting accountability....got it. I'm reactionary because we've never seen the Caps crap the bed and go down in flames...got it.

Reactionary is suggesting the Caps trade Ovechkin. Demanding accountability is something responsible people expect and do. Wonder what your position will be if they lose the next two with a whimper.

Just out of curiousity how long have you been an active fan? Meaning what was the first time you began to truly watch and follow the team to the point where you remember?

Your frustrated. I get that. You want Oates to lash out at players in order to achieve that accountability. He doesn't work that way and there is more than one way to achieve it. I've been very impressed by Oates and he has a good pulse on the team. Not sure why you would want him to change his approach right now.

I've seen the Caps crap the bed alot. I've also seen them show amazing resiliency as well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
One would assume Orlov and Kundratek will be up as well.
No need. The defense is fine. They're great at soaking up information and exhibiting general sponge-like behavior.

07-minister.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
coming in peace :facepalm:

Let's get ready to rumble! Friday, Friday, Friday...

Joking aside i am pissed. I am probably the only one that saw it but would swear Orr was tripped 2 or 3 times in the first period. Those 5 stitches in his right eye weren't from shaving either.

But he came back to earth, was on for a few goals against, and got benched. All almost to be expected. But those goals against I didnt necessarily pin on him, but I did see guys behind him. Not sure if they were Hillen's or not.

I can say this. i bet if out in the final minute, he would not have watched the dribbler go slowly up the gut and out, to ice the game. Green has to go get that one as our ace on the blue.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Comin in peace, was only browsing this thread to see what the comments were about Ovi and his backchecking (or lack thereof) and wanted to make a comment on this topic.

First of all, no comment on the fact that in the Stepan video he's crosschecked from behind into the boards and no penalty is called. Stepan gets his elbow up, but the refs don't call that because they missed a call between the same two players just seconds earlier. Might suck to hear but that's hockey, refs are conscious of that. I don't condone the elbow but Stepan's not a dirty player by any means.

The Del Zotto hit, although it didn't end well, was definitely not an attempted elbow by any means. He caught him with the elbow because Neal changes his trajectory, DZ is simply trying to defend himself from a guy who is skating directly at him while his back is turned to the boards. I'm sure he also knows that Pens players are allowed to take some extra liberties with their hits, so you have to protect yourself when vulnerable. That's clearly not an intentional elbow, and this is coming from someone who can't stand DZ and actually does think he's a dirty player generally.

The Backstrom elbow on Anisimov is pretty similar to the Stepan one in my eyes, only that Backstrom didn't get his up fast enough to clip Arty in the head. Same intention, different execution. It's a play that happens pretty often unfortunately, I'm not a fan of it, but I'm sure there are tons of examples of it from either team in this series that we just have barely noticed.

The Green crosscheck definitely was there. That is what makes Stepan's action so damning. He was going back at him with intent. Got lucky he only got fined.

Backstrom didn't elbow Anisimov. He got him square in the chest. There was no penalty nor review by the league and not one media outlet called for one to be had. Del Zotto's caused a great deal of controversy as did Stepan's. BOTH situations lead to concussions which the NHL has been taking seriously.

I have seen the Rangers use this tactic several times and I do believe they are taught to do that as a result.

Like it or not, regardless of intent (and I personally believe in both cases there was), the result of the play (concussion) and severity of injury is taken into account.

Just this season Nash also took a running charge at a florida player and elbowed him in the head. No suspension probably b/c the guy wasn't hurt too bad.

Clearly you are entitled to your view but it is not one I share. Has a Ranger player been suspended by Shanahan since he took over? A couple times but sure could have been several more! I've never seen a Caps player NOT get suspended when any questionable play comes into account.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1577262-why-rick-nash-should-be-suspended-for-dangerous-elbow-on-tomas-kopecky-video

Shanahan played for the Rangers and had success there on some level. He certainly liked it there and ended his career with them I believe. Nash made that dangerous play in the midst of a playoff run for the Rangers. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Rangers players who take headshots don't get suspended. Green made a similar play against Kulikov a couple years back and got 3 games despite not having any history. This year the NHL is cracking down more yet Nash somehow doesn't get suspended???

Last edited:

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

"Vezina, Mr. Vezina" you must be a Bobrovsky fan.

In other news, GTFO!

I've had this avatar since the summer. Bob should win the Vezina this year, something I've been vocal about.

GTFO would be fitting if I was here trash talking or ruffling some feathers. I'm hear praising someone's creativity which isn't deserving of your nonsense.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Nicky's got to be hurt. There is no way he's dogging it. Its not him. The way he finished the season and the way he's playing now... night and day. He's not the type of guy to not put in the effort. He's not that, never been that. He has to be hurt.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Just out of curiousity how long have you been an active fan? Meaning what was the first time you began to truly watch and follow the team to the point where you remember?

Your frustrated. I get that. You want Oates to lash out at players in order to achieve that accountability. He doesn't work that way and there is more than one way to achieve it. I've been very impressed by Oates and he has a good pulse on the team. Not sure why you would want him to change his approach right now.

I've seen the Caps crap the bed alot. I've also seen them show amazing resiliency as well.

1985....I've been through the pain and plenty of it.

This has to do with your Captain, your best player leading by horrible example at the most critical junction of the game. If it's not addressed, it will continue as it has throughout his career. We're in year 8 and he's the Captain. Do you only expect goals from Ovechkin? I expect a lot more. I want a Cup. Play like that doesn't inspire the guys you're supposed to be leading and doesn't lead to Cup wins. You call it lashing out, that's not what I'm suggesting. You hold your players accountable or they will never feel the need to BE accountable.

Big picture as it pertains the playoffs, we're split after 4 games. That's not the issue.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nicky's got to be hurt. There is no way he's dogging it. Its not him. The way he finished the season and the way he's playing now... night and day. He's not the type of guy to not put in the effort. He's not that, never been that. He has to be hurt.

After games 3 and 4, they must all be hurt. ;)

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
After games 3 and 4, they must all be hurt. ;)

Nicky hasn't looked right the entire series. It isn't just games 3 and 4. Game 1 was his worst. He looked so strong almost all season. And he was a beast to close out the season. There is something wrong with him and I'm guessing its an injury.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
1985....I've been through the pain and plenty of it.

This has to do with your Captain, your best player leading by horrible example at the most critical junction of the game. If it's not addressed, it will continue as it has throughout his career. We're in year 8 and he's the Captain. Do you only expect goals from Ovechkin? I expect a lot more. I want a Cup. Play like that doesn't inspire the guys you're supposed to be leading and doesn't lead to Cup wins. You call it lashing out, that's not what I'm suggesting. You hold your players accountable or they will never feel the need to BE accountable.

Big picture as it pertains the playoffs, we're split after 4 games. That's not the issue.

Who said that wasn't a crap play by Ovechkin??? I think we all most definitely believe it was!

The only thing here is how you want to go about fixing it. You want to publically find a way to humiliate him or at least humiliate him in front of his teamates even more than he already is.

I'm telling you that is not how Oates does things. If you want things done like that then we need to hire Keenan. If thats the kind of coach you want then Oates is not him.

I'm happy with Oates and trust him. You don't seem to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad