ECQF: (2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (3) Philadelphia Flyers | Pittsburgh Leads Series 3-2

who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
On paper the matchup may not look favorable. But hey, in the playoffs, you never know. Flyers are due for some W’s over them.

It would just be so fitting for the hated cross-state rivals that own so much real estate in Penguins’ fans heads, despite all their success they always brag about, to bring their run to a screeching halt.

My mind would say Penguins in 6.

My heart says Philly in 7.

So Philly in 7 it is. Claude Giroux GWG In OT Game 7 right in front of all those arrogant yinzer rubes.

*in b4 herp derp Scotty Pucks prediction always wrong* eh, I nailed it in 2012. So not always the case.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Wow I didn't realize the Flyers bottom 9 was so pedestrian. Yeah Malkin/Brassard/Kessel are gonna eat them alive.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why do people bring up 2012? Both teams should be embarrassed of that, but it has nothing to do with what the two teams have built. Just like 2008 and 2009 have nothing to do with the Pens beating the Flyers, once on a way to a Stanley Cup. But the two teams were almost a punch line of the NHL's playoffs that year. Not something to boast about.

But the Flyers have finally stopped trying to be bullies, focused on skill, and their team is on course to finally accomplish what hasn't been done since 1975. They need to stay the course. They are a young team and are playing an experienced team in the middle of their insane run. The Flyers just need to stay the course. The Pens, on the other hand, are trying to keep this run going as long as they can. And nothing lasts forever. But they are hoping it's still lasting.

2012, 2008, 2009... all have nothing to do with this series. Both organizations have moved to a new era. Pens are riding the wave of all waves. Flyers are building to jump on their own wave.

Reactions: LI Fly Guy

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If the Pens don't beat themselves and play with some semblance of structure on defense, Pens in five. That said I respect Phillys skill upfront.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Thank God it's not Columbus and then possibly Washington again, that would have been so boring.

Also Pens in 5, I have a tremendous amount of faith in Hakstol.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
well see giroux and voracek are split.

and kessel has played with malking and crosby enough this year. You know giroux is better than those 3 this year right?
Right now G is playing better.I'm not saying he is better however no one is hotter.
One thing not mention is Mrazek,is it worth a gamble to chuck him in net? He might rise to playoff hockey and slam the door.Mrazek could also get soft, He is never been playoff tested. There is none better when Mraz is on?.. just a thought.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Well considering the success they've had with Columbus in recent playoff history, and the intense rivalry between the two clubs, one would think it could have more of a physical and emotional impact on the team, then say a devils series.

Philadelphia can get into their heads. They could also easily lose.
:laugh:

Even though obvious troll is obvious ...

We're gonna curb stomp Philly.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Well considering the success they've had with Columbus in recent playoff history, and the intense rivalry between the two clubs, one would think it could have more of a physical and emotional impact on the team, then say a devils series.

Philadelphia can get into their heads. They could also easily lose.
I’m not exactly bullish about this matchup (considering the Flyers horses are all having career years, and they’re a youngish team with nothing to lose) but this was the most favorable matchup to the Pens, IMO. CBJ are talented, hungry and deep as hell. And they had last year’s failure fresh in their minds. The Devils ran the Pens out of the rink a couple of times this year by making a team built on speed them look slow.

And also, 2012 was 6 years, 2 coaches, 1 goalie and basically an entirely roster ago. A lot of team s have tried the 2012 playbook on the smurfish Pens the last couple of years and it hasn’t worked. Or its backfired. Maybe Sheary, Hags and Oleksiak are going to channel Neal, Kunitz and Martin. Or maybe if they lose it won’t be because of that. All I know is they’ve taken heavy punishment before and know that “an eye for an eye” isn’t the best way to win 4 games.

It’s not a perfect scenario for the Pens but nothing is. I think the Pens can match up and play with Philly without having to rewrite the playbook. With the Devils I felt the Pens were at an immediate strategic disadvantage and with CBJ I felt they were gonna have a challenge against waves of depth, to say nothing of the potential injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryder71

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
At this very moment G is better than every Penguin, Someone will dominate this series.
CG is right now better than Crosby and Malkin ,in all 200 feet. Its the next season and cream rises to the top... drop the puck.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Expect this series to get mucked up real quick by Philly instigating fights and big hits and cheap shots going after Crosby and Letang. The world already knows it and expects it. Philly knows Giroux and his sidekicks are coming after Crosby. Crosby hates Philly more than any other team. The entire City of Philly hates Crosby. Biggest rivalry in the NHL on center stage round 1. Objective is to win the series without injuries.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What will Flyers fans, and Penguins trolls do when they can’t brag about 2012 anymore?

I'd wait for a couple of weeks before crossing that bridge.

In any case, I hope the Pens can take advantage of home ice because their road play this season doesn't inspire much confidence.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
giroux, jake Coots= Kessel Crosby Malkin this year

konecny simmons > hornqvist guentzel

linblom and patrici> rust and the rest

ghost> letang
provy> maatta

I would say we have the higher end players.

This is such a homerish post from you

Sure, this year "giroux, jake Coots" are equal offensively to the Pens top three. But how can you say Konecny/Simmonds > Hornqvist and Guentzel? Flyers fans have been complaining about Simmonds all year. What has Lindblom done to be considered for anything? Ghost and Letang are twins. They negate each other.

Check out Rust's playoff history and tell me again if they are equal

Reactions: ncm7772

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
On paper the matchup may not look favorable. But hey, in the playoffs, you never know. Flyers are due for some W’s over them.

It would just be so fitting for the hated cross-state rivals that own so much real estate in Penguins’ fans heads, despite all their success they always brag about, to bring their run to a screeching halt.

So Philly in 7 it is. Claude Giroux GWG In OT Game 7 right in front of all those arrogant yinzer rubes.

*in b4 herp derp Scotty Pucks prediction always wrong* eh, I nailed it in 2012. So not always the case.
Pens in 3.

Reactions: Jtown

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I’m not sure I honestly care about the Flyers. Hard to be more milquetoast and average than them, honestly, and it all stems from the coach. That purposeless stare somewhat summarizes the Flyers’ since 2014. It does feel great to beat them, but it doesn’t hurt as much to lose.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Pens are better on paper, plus add in the officiating that we all know will happen and I dont see Philly winning this. Pens in 5

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Pens are better on paper, plus add in the officiating that we all know will happen and I dont see Philly winning this. Pens in 5
See, the thing is - it's really not even that exPENSive.

For less than the price of a cup of coffee per day, you too can get all the calls & watch your favorite team hoist Lord Stanley in triumph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad