ECQF: (2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (3) Philadelphia Flyers | Pittsburgh Leads Series 3-2

who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Flyers in 7, they'll be motivated to end the cup run esp considering the rivalry and murray isn't solid

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
51Zqv8-Dl1L.jpg
vs
29660_large.jpg

Needless to say, PHI doesn't fare well in the movie match.

I am deeply disturbed at you omission of Rocky for Philladelphia's movie category

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
A few quick thoughts:

• The Flyers have questionable goaltending, 1 good (actually, great) defensive pairing, and a bottom 6 that's bad (but could be a bit better were it not for terrible lineup decisions by their coach)
  • The Penguins ate their defense alive in 4 matchups this year
  • BUT the Flyers have an incredibly potent top 6 that will score goals
  • AND as hideous as the Flyers defense was against the Pens this year, the Penguins weren't superb against them, either. The Flyers had 2nd period leads against them in 3 of the 4 games they played, and in 2 of them it took OT to end things.
  • So, if the Flyers can play somewhat smart and make the most of their opportunities, this could be a series.
  • Still, the Penguins are a far superior team and Hakstol is just a bad coach-he's very much like Bylsma. Preference for "grinders" and incapable of making adjustments.
  • This is Penguins in 5, and Mrazek will come off the bench at least once and maybe even start a game.
  • It will be interesting to see who the villains become in this series. There will be blood, but some atypical names will be out there drawing it.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
As a Penguin fan, take out the rivalry, and this is the best series, on paper, for the Penguins to begin with. Jersey was too fast and Columbus is what the Flyers wish they were.

Penguins top six > Flyers top six
Penguins bottom six >>>>>>>Flyers bottom six

The 3rd and 4th lines will be where this series is won, and lost, quickly, by the Flyers.

Pens in five.

Reactions: KIRK

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
As a Penguin fan, take out the rivalry, and this is the best series, on paper, for the Penguins to begin with. Jersey was too fast and Columbus is what the Flyers wish they were.

Penguins top six > Flyers top six
Penguins bottom six >>>>>>>Flyers bottom six

The 3rd and 4th lines will be where this series is won, and lost, quickly, by the Flyers.

Pens in five.

yup, pens on paper are unbeatable. love playing that game. However all it takes is for geno, crosby, and letang to go psycho again and the wheels will fall off

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
yup, pens on paper are unbeatable. love playing that game. However all it takes is for geno, crosby, and letang to go psycho again and the wheels will fall off

All it takes six correct numbers and you win the powerball......

If that's what you're banking on goooooood luck

Reactions: Bumpus

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Devils/Jackets said "No... we do not want the Pens." :laugh: Flyers are a confidence team. Here is my post from the Pens board. Like I said over and over and over. This is the NHL and this team can win or lose any series.

Here is how the Flyers win:

- I think more than any team, Philly can hurt us on the powerplay. I know it was average all year, but they HAD good success against us in the past when we were overly aggressive. They pass well and can use our over-aggression against us. In our recent game - they went 1/3. Back in the 3/7 game they went 0/5. That would be nice. So if we can stick to making it average, we should have a nice advantage.

- I have said it before that they are one of the best transition teams in the NHL. They pass, chip, and get to the weak side of the ice with space. It creates odd man rushes quickly. Especially if we are not rotating our F3 back. We need to make sure we rotate our F3 back. That is something we always see with Philly. We need to make sure we are getting our even numbers.

And when we have even numbers, we have to be smart defensively. Don't crash too low, or else they'll hit a high guy. A couple of their high guys can flat out snipe with wrist shots.

- Confidence: Pens can give the Flyers confidence 2 ways. 1) By making Elliott look better than he is. 2) By giving up a SHG at the wrong time. Steer clear of giving them belief. Do not give them any belief or confidence.

How the Pens win:
- Pens be Pens and Murray be Murray. No doubt we are, on paper, the better team. The Flyers are young and upcoming. The Pens have the experience and have the team. All they have to do is not kill themselves.

- I don't think many of us have our usual confidence in Mur's rebound control. He was so good after his father's passing. He was not so good after his concussion. I hope, like hell, he starts to get into his groove. He's the rock back there. He doesn't have to be a a star. He just has to make the saves he has to make. That's all.

It's that simple. IF the Pens are the Pens, the stars are the stars, and Murray is playoff Murray - we go forward. If we want to give them confidence and feed their only way of winning, that's how the series opens up.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Got the Pens in 5...both teams are lacking in the Defensive side of things but The pens high end players are better and their Goalie is better.

Biggest advantage I see, is in the coaches.
Not this year. Depth will be problem for Flyers. Could be close series, could be pens in 5.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Got the Pens in 5...both teams are lacking in the Defensive side of things but The pens high end players are better and their Goalie is better.

Biggest advantage I see, is in the coaches.

giroux, jake Coots= Kessel Crosby Malkin this year

konecny simmons > hornqvist guentzel

linblom and patrici> rust and the rest

ghost> letang
provy> maatta

I would say we have the higher end players.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
It's going to be tough.

But on the other hand, Nolan Patrick has been a different player. Ivan Provorov has been on fire lately.

Travis Konecny can take over.

It's going to be fun to see the young guys get a chance to play in a high pressure game. I know the Penguins will be really hard to play against, especially with Hakstol deciding on matchups.

I think Nolan Patrick will be the difference in this series if the Flyers win. He's really close to breaking completely out. The last two weeks of the season, he's been doing stuff that he wasn't doing even a month ago.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
I hope there are all the big hits and fights and clutch goals like the games were in the earlier 2010’s

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

ghost> letang
provy> maatta

Playoff Sid, Geno, and Kessel>>>>>Playoff Giroux, Jake, coots

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I want to see BLOOD!!!!!

This type of post shows me fans who don't realize the Pens/Flyers anymore.

Pens: No more Bylsma/lack of accountable team. This team focuses on winning championships. Sully keeps them in check.

Flyers: These aren't your 1975 bullies. This team is skilled. They've really cut back the post whistle stuff and focused on scoring goals and doing their thing. That's the best way they can play. Even Gudas should stay out of the crap. The Flyers are at their best when they play a skilled game.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This type of post shows me fans who don't realize the Pens/Flyers anymore.

Pens: No more Bylsma/lack of accountable team. This team focuses on winning championships. Sully keeps them in check.

Flyers: These aren't your 1975 bullies. This team is skilled. They've really cut back the post whistle stuff and focused on scoring goals and doing their thing. That's the best way they can play. Even Gudas should stay out of the crap. The Flyers are at their best when they play a skilled game.
I WANT TO SEE BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Jtown

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

ghost> letang
provy> maatta

Lmao. Sure.

Difference is Malkin,Kessel and Crosby don't all play on the same line. Unlike Couts,Vora and G have alot of this year.

All three would be the clear third best playet behind Malkin and Crosby. Not really close.

Konecny and Simmonds are not greater than Guentzel and Hornqvist. I'd give it a wash.

Reactions: Bumpus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad