ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC) Philadelphia Flyers | Series 3-0 Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Best case next game for the Caps is to score a goal early and win 1-0. You don't want to run up the score in a sweep of the Flyers, they don't care about being suspended.

I doubt it. Flyers probably got it out of their system tonight. I'd imagine they go relatively quietly next game IMO.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Philadelphia-based Caps fan here. Was at the game. Going to set some facts straight.

First off, a picture of my wristband below (didn't throw it). They were battery powered wristbands, programmed to each seat/section used as part of pre-game and intermission "lights shows" (or basically any time it was appropriate to dim the lights for a video). The light shows had nothing to do with the ceremony honoring Ed Snider.

y7p0J6j.jpg

I'd say there were at least a couple hundred wristbands thrown to the ice, but it's important to remember that around 19,000 people fit in the Wells Fargo Center. While a decent chunk of those people left when Carlson made the game 4-1, it was still a relatively small minority of Flyers fans throwing them on the ice. A non-trivial minority, but a minority nonetheless.

On the other hand, there were pretty overwhelming boos when Orpik was carried off the ice, so it's not like the Flyers faithful are all class.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I doubt it. Flyers probably got it out of their system tonight. I'd imagine they go relatively quietly next game IMO.

Agree. Win or lose I think the next game will be the 'cleanest' of the series. If for the sole reason that the Flyers CANNOT keep giving the Caps PP's.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
probably. It is rare, but it definitely happens. Racism is one of the big things they are trying to crack down on over there, along with general hooligan-ism...

Also happens some in South America, which I think is generally for fans going crazy.

Yeah that's what I've heard. Crazy stuff. It's no longer a game when people start putting other people's lives in jeopardy.

ObsceneJesster

Apr 17, 2016

Flyers announcer to the crowd - "Have some class"

Flyer fan - "No!"

I like how the announcer said...."Okay guys, keep those wrist bands in your hand and do not throw them. This is Philly. Not somewhere else in the NHL".......Is this guy new to Philly?

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
As much as I think Philly fans in general are buffoons, the majority of Flyers fans I've seen on HF are a decent bunch. Actually feel bad for them for putting up with this crap.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Philadelphia-based Caps fan here. Was at the game. Going to set some facts straight.

First off, a picture of my wristband below (didn't throw it). They were battery powered wristbands, programmed to each seat/section used as part of pre-game and intermission "lights shows" (or basically any time it was appropriate to dim the lights for a video). The light shows had nothing to do with the ceremony honoring Ed Snider.

y7p0J6j.jpg

I'd say there were at least a couple hundred wristbands thrown to the ice, but it's important to remember that around 19,000 people fit in the Wells Fargo Center. While a decent chunk of those people left when Carlson made the game 4-1, it was still a relatively small minority of Flyers fans throwing them on the ice. A non-trivial minority, but a minority nonetheless.

On the other hand, there were pretty overwhelming boos when Orpik was carried off the ice, so it's not like the Flyers faithful are all class.

Meh, Orpik has had it coming for some time, clean or otherwise. He has made a living off of catching vulnerable players and delivering completely needless hits. I am a Pens fan for what it's worth so there is no inherent anti Orpik bias. It just is what it is.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
As much as I think Philly fans in general are buffoons, the majority of Flyers fans I've seen on HF are a decent bunch. Actually feel bad for them for putting up with this crap.

So new.

Louis James Nolan (born December 3, 1945) is the public address announcer for the Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League. He has worked in this position since the 1972–73 NHL season, when he replaced former announcer Kevin Johnson.[1][2] He has been on the PA for 8 Stanley Cup Finals, two NHL All-Star Games, the 2014 NCAA Frozen Four, and the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Interesting and yeah I see why. I'm not sure it would bode over well but I know I'd rather watch Tampa on tv than to see Johnson go head first into the boards or lose Hedman because he runs over one and goes into the end boards. It's a games revenue and a message vs losing an investment to a team for good or for a period of time. Washington was at risk for simply winning. I've skated over a strap from a helmet and I've taken a fall into the boards because of it years ago. Never noticed it cause I wasn't looking down. Imagine that with x100 the pace and a white wrist band. Some people may think it's a non issue but it only takes one freak accident to lose a player, nevertheless if the league lost a face like Crosby, Ovechkin, Benn, etc. (A player is a player but you know what I mean in terms of severity)

Absolutely. Those wristbands were dangerous, because when dozens of people throw rats on the ice in Florida, it's unlikely to go unnoticed, but someone throwing just one small wristband could have dangerous consequences. Which is not to say they could have anticipated this, but no reason to not learn from it nonetheless.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

y7p0J6j.jpg

Thanks for the post. I was considering starting a guaranteed-to-be-short-lived thread about how the wristbands had nothing to do with the Ed Snider remembrance because I had heard the same thing on twitter. Not that it'd matter...posters will overlook it and believe what they want to crucify our entire fanbase all the same.

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
I like how the announcer said...."Okay guys, keep those wrist bands in your hand and do not throw them. This is Philly. Not somewhere else in the NHL".......Is this guy new to Philly?

He sounded like a family guy character with his non-specific phrasing

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I cannot believe people actually voted for Philly in this poll

After seeing how gassed Ottawa and Philly got the last 2 seasons having to go on those runs to get into the playoffs, I think nobody will be fooled next year if someone does that. Those two would have been better off just missing and having a shot at the lottery.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I don't remember bellemare being dirty like that before but I'd suspend him the rest of the playoffs and into next season. You seen Simmonds on the bench saying this is embarrassing because it is embarrassing for flyer fans/players with the way that whole game ended.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Wilson hit was penalized appropriately. Don't try and convince anyone the Isles are a clean team. You know Matt Martin wears the logo right? He's at least as "dirty" as any Capital player and thats just one guy. You guys gave Eric Boulton a sweater this season, why not just sign John Scott, Michael Haley, or Trevor Gilles. Don't try to keep harping on how "dirty" the Caps are, it got old long ago.

I called it last year after the Wilson hit that the dude would eventually run his way out of the league with suspensions. he got noticed this year with about 5 dirty hits. Next year he will start to be suspended and by 2018 he will be the next Cooke/Torres..its so obvious its not even funny.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
And Mr. Frings, that was a handball

Not sure what you are talking about. A handball?

Edit: Wait, do you mean a handball game? Because it happened to the German handball national team once too? I meant the league when I said it happened in Germany, not the national team, but yeah, why not use handball as an example as well.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Yeah, like when guys blame the dudes Wilson boards instead of Wilson.

This is relevant to this thread in what way? You got your shot on Wilson in though, good for you. There are agendas and then there are thinly veiled vendettas. Tom Wilson is a generational player in generating hatred despite (just guessing here based on my eye while watching the game) playing more minutes on the PK than ES.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Yeah, I'm sure you could put the passion aside and give the PC answer after your team gets drubbed 6-1 on international TV. Fans are always quick to act like they know

Actually most athletes do exactly that. Credit the other team and say the obligatory "we need to be better" stuff. It was a dumb comment period. No excuse.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Absolutely. Those wristbands were dangerous, because when dozens of people throw rats on the ice in Florida, it's unlikely to go unnoticed, but someone throwing just one small wristband could have dangerous consequences. Which is not to say they could have anticipated this, but no reason to not learn from it nonetheless.
agreed. Virtual high five for constructive and intelligent posts. Wasn't sure this existed anymore.

Ovi wide open

fetch

Carlson showing that Ovi is open
fetch
LOL this is hilarious. Well done.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I called it last year after the Wilson hit that the dude would eventually run his way out of the league with suspensions. he got noticed this year with about 5 dirty hits. Next year he will start to be suspended and by 2018 he will be the next Cooke/Torres..its so obvious its not even funny.

Tom Wilson is under more scrutiny than any other player in the league. If you think he's going to just start magically getting suspended for legal hits why don't you hold your breath until it happens.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks for the post. I was considering starting a guaranteed-to-be-short-lived thread about how the wristbands had nothing to do with the Ed Snider remembrance because I had heard the same thing on twitter. Not that it'd matter...posters will overlook it and believe what they want to crucify our entire fanbase all the same.

I don't think that it was whether or not the bracelets had anything to do with the Ed Snider remembrance that's at the root of contention.

ObsceneJesster

Apr 17, 2016

Wilson isn't what I'd call a dirty player. Definitely not on the same level as Gudas or White. Wilson just plays hard and he's young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad