ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC) Philadelphia Flyers | Series 3-0 Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Tom Wilson is under more scrutiny than any other player in the league. If you think he's going to just start magically getting suspended for legal hits why don't you hold your breath until it happens.

Most guys don't get suspended immediately, it usually starts this way and then progresses to suspensions when the league gets sick of it. This is not 1995 anymore when borderline hits don't get suspensions, or sometimes even legal ones.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Busy studying for finals, but I just looked up the scores for the night and saw the parade of penalties for Philly in the 3rd... what happened? So far, reading part of this thread I've seen that bracelets got tossed on the ice, and Orpik got hit hard and had to leave. What else am I missing?

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Wilson isn't what I'd call a dirty player. Definitely not on the same level as Gudas or White. Wilson just plays hard and he's young.

Wilson is very borderline at best. If he is not careful he will cross the line. I know everyone loves a physical bruiser on their own team but he has had some hits where he could have exercised a little more discretion.

PlinyElder*

Philadelphia-based Caps fan here. Was at the game. Going to set some facts straight.

First off, a picture of my wristband below (didn't throw it). They were battery powered wristbands, programmed to each seat/section used as part of pre-game and intermission "lights shows" (or basically any time it was appropriate to dim the lights for a video). The light shows had nothing to do with the ceremony honoring Ed Snider.

y7p0J6j.jpg

I'd say there were at least a couple hundred wristbands thrown to the ice, but it's important to remember that around 19,000 people fit in the Wells Fargo Center. While a decent chunk of those people left when Carlson made the game 4-1, it was still a relatively small minority of Flyers fans throwing them on the ice. A non-trivial minority, but a minority nonetheless.

On the other hand, there were pretty overwhelming boos when Orpik was carried off the ice, so it's not like the Flyers faithful are all class.

How many did you get hit with? And if you say none, I know you didn't wear your jersey or colors.

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
Well I like the Caps and that Wilson Visnovsky hit was also a huge embarrassment to the game. No place for those hits. Should have gotten suspended and fined. One of the worst moments I've had supporting a team when a player does something that stupid, dangerous and thoughtless.

Still wrong. Will always be wrong. Doesn't matter who says it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt it. Flyers probably got it out of their system tonight. I'd imagine they go relatively quietly next game IMO.

Doubt it. They'll come out hard in Game 4. They made it this far when the notion that they'd make the playoffs was seen as 'ridiculous' 2 weeks before the trade deadline. Doesn't mean it'll be enough to win, they're just completely overmatched and the penalty killing unit refuses to adapt.

I credit the Caps for not getting involved in stupidity after the bad play from Bellemare, who looked to apologize to Orlov on the ice - not that it would matter in the heat of the moment, but he could have...not have done that. Not sure if the Caps putting out their top PP for a while during the penalty kills were an issue here, but I didn't think it was a big deal.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Wilson isn't what I'd call a dirty player. Definitely not on the same level as Gudas or White. Wilson just plays hard and he's young.

I don't think he was bound to be a dirty player, but somehow under Trotz he's becoming one. Hopefully he shows a little more restraint before he ends another star's career for his sometimes careless stupidity.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don't think he was bound to be a dirty player, but somehow under Trotz he's becoming one. Hopefully he shows a little more restraint before he ends another star's career for his careless stupidity.

Tootoo was fairly dirty under Trotz as well. I think most would agree way dirtier than Wilson. Wilson just hits, Tootoo would literally go Chris Simon on bad days.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Still wrong. Will always be wrong. Doesn't matter who says it.

Nah. Intent is key. Predatory hits designed to injure a player to give a team a competitive edge are not a good thing. Doesn't matter who the team is.

Being physical is one thing. Intent to injure is another. Caps in that series were predatory towards Lubo and it wasn't right.

I overlook affiliation when a player is intentionally injured and their career is cut short by some bozo on a bonehead play.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Most guys don't get suspended immediately, it usually starts this way and then progresses to suspensions when the league gets sick of it. This is not 1995 anymore when borderline hits don't get suspensions, or sometimes even legal ones.

When the league gets sick of hard, legal hitting? Wilson likes to play physical and toe the line. If the league tries to single him out it'll ruin the integrity of one of the greatest and most fundamental aspects of our sport. Read what Zadorov said about the hit Wilson put on him a couple weeks ago. He gets it, "fans" with obvious agendas are the reason we have to deal with discussions about eliminating hitting from the game altogether. Players like Wilson make a bad hit from time-to-time (see the Bonino hit recently) and get penalized for them. To flat out insinuate that Wilson is a goon or tries to injure players intentionally is hypocrisy at best, hatred at the worst. It makes opposing fans look bad (which I'm fine with) but when the league takes notice and caters to those fans it's upsetting.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
It was a very unfortunate game for the Flyers franchise. Two hundred morons don't make 'the flyers fandom'. The game got out of hand, some stupid plays happened, and the fans lost it. Orpik injury looked really bad, but the hit was clean. The hit on Orlov was horrendous; seeing his neck compress almost made me puke. Orlov is so very lucky. This was close to a life-changing injury.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Islanders are not known at all as a dirty team but they won't back down. Matt Martin one of the classiest players around and respected throughout the league. Yes, league leader in hits, but doesn't go out of his way to injure smaller players and lets up on his hits or doesn't hit them at all. Will fight anyone, but follows the rules of engagement. Eric Boulton was given a sweater and wore it for one game only. Yup, against the Caps. Hmmm wonder why? Maybe the Islander's organization worried that some goon might run over one our skilled players. The Caps earned their reputation - it is what it is.

Martin ended Keith Ballards career on a play that would be a fairly easy boarding call today. And you were saying?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Nah. Intent is key. Predatory hits designed to injure a player to give a team a competitive edge are not a good thing. Doesn't matter who the team is.

Being physical is one thing. Intent to injure is another. Caps in that series were predatory towards Lubo and it wasn't right.

I overlook affiliation when a player is intentionally injured and their career is cut short by some bozo on a bonehead play.

Jesus Christ. You have a 5'10 195 pound guy coming around into a 6'3 (I'd say taller) 200+ behemoth. Its not predatory, its physics. And you're gonna talk about predatory with that 4th line? Yeah, okay. :laugh:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Tom Wilson is under more scrutiny than any other player in the league. If you think he's going to just start magically getting suspended for legal hits why don't you hold your breath until it happens.

Tom Wilson is the reason why Orlov nearly became a quadriplegic tonight. Other teams are aware how the Caps play and get away with the borderline dirty stuff especially in the playoffs. Orpik got his. Trotz might want to rethink his "heavy" style of play before any more of his players get hurt.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How many did you get hit with? And if you say none, I know you didn't wear your jersey or colors.

None, because I sat in the very top row. ;)

I did get a "SIT DOWN 27!" while cheering early in the game (wearing my Alzner jersey) and a couple "HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT!"-type comments after Raffl's goal. That about the worst I got. This whole bracelet debacle aside, Flyers fans aren't really that bad.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Btw why Kuzy wasnt happy after his goal?

Probably just a little frustration. He's been a little cold lately. To get back to his scoring ways on a freak lucky bounce, he's probably thinking "this is what it takes for me to score a goal?"

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Should every player that tried to railroad Mike Green during the Run-and-Gun days feel bad? It's a strategy and it's effective, when done legally it's respectable.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Jesus Christ. You have a 5'10 195 pound guy coming around into a 6'3 (I'd say taller) 200+ behemoth. Its not predatory, its physics. And you're gonna talk about predatory with that 4th line? Yeah, okay. :laugh:

Is he talking about the hit on Ghost? If so, that was just two players not paying attention and running into each other. As a Flyers fan, I saw nothing wrong with that. :laugh:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Tom Wilson is the reason why Orlov nearly became a quadriplegic tonight. Other teams are aware how the Caps play and get away with the borderline dirty stuff especially in the playoffs. Orpik got his. Trotz might want to rethink his "heavy" style of play before any more of his players get hurt.

It's when fans with opinions like yours and more importantly players get these ludicrous ideas that Moore-Bertuzzi happens. Tom Wilson had nothing to do with Orpik getting hurt or Orlov getting launched into the boards and to insinuate that insults the intelligence of the players and makes the league and your team look bad. Orlov got boarded because the Flyers came unhinged, Orpik got hurt because he put himself in a dangerous position. I guess following your logic Visnovsky got destroyed because Martin and Clutterbuck........

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Is he talking about the hit on Ghost? If so, that was just two players not paying attention and running into each other. As a Flyers fan, I saw nothing wrong with that. :laugh:

He was talking about Wilson's hit on Visnovsky, similar to the one he had on Zadarov earlier in the year. It has nothing to do with this game, just people trying to say the Caps are "worse" then the Flyers because of things like that. Its absolute stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad