OT: Eclipse

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I have never seen a total eclipse, except on TV which isn't the same. I've prepared all sorts of sandwiches and goodies--been working on this for DAYS and even got up early to finish so you know I'm kind of excited for the event. We are making a picnic of it at the office--my mother will be there and she made her special sugar cookies--and made them look like various stages of the eclipse. She's so clever! I'll have my sister and PF 98 there, too, so if we go blind we'll go blind together.

Get this, my sister brought her apricot scarf to wear. Points if you get it!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
So troll everyone with 'Blackhole Sun' or 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'
This is a younger person's style of music but I've already deemed a song called Stare at the Sun by Thrice the official song of today.

"I stare straight into the sun, and I won't close my eyes, til I understand or go blind...."

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
eclipse_science.png

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I mean it's not totally inaccurate. If I didn't live in the path of totality I wouldn't care much, but since I'm here I'm rooting for the clouds to not block it and I consider myself pretty lucky to be in a place to see it. Based on circumstance pretty much.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I wonder what a person who saw this 2k years ago thought. "Uhhh... something bad just happened to the sun god!"

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
That was cool. Obviously the clouds were a bummer but being downtown was more so because of street and building lights being on. It was pretty gnarly though.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Yep, we were worried about the clouds in Smyrna but ended up being completely clear the entire time.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
It was great.

I was surprised how it just happened all of a sudden, then all of a sudden it is gone. I know it sounds weird, but just expecting kind of like some huge orchestra to announce it. All of a sudden you look around and it's dark, then a few minutes later, back to normal.

It seems to me we are in The Hype Age, a lot to do with the Social Media Age, these days where almost everything gets hyped to the max.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Maybe I'm not understanding but are those who were actually in a place where totality occurred not impressed when you refer to hype? I mean, it's a solar eclipse in our own backyard. Not sure how much "hype" that should actually get. To me it was pretty amazing and not sure I'll ever get to see totality again (without actively seeking it).

Kurt could be on to something though and it's not eclipse related. Everything is always in your face 24/7 now thanks to flash communication like Facebook and Twitter. That stuff isn't going away. Of course now that the eclipse is over all we're going to read about is GoT and statues.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Maybe I'm not understanding but are those who were actually in a place where totality occurred not impressed when you refer to hype? I mean, it's a solar eclipse in our own backyard. Not sure how much "hype" that should actually get. To me it was pretty amazing and not sure I'll ever get to see totality again (without actively seeking it).

Kurt could be on to something though and it's not eclipse related. Everything is always in your face 24/7 now thanks to flash communication like Facebook and Twitter. That stuff isn't going away. Of course now that the eclipse is over all we're going to read about is GoT and statues.

I am in Gallatin, we were supposed to have as much totality as Hopkinsville and to me it was kinda meh....Not worth taking a day off for. It got dusk like for a couple of minutes but that was it. I definitely would not travel anywhere to see that. To me, it seems like the media really way overhyped this. I would compare the hype of this to a SCF game compared to a result that you get on a Tuesday night Calgary game.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
A few degrees off makes a real difference, we were @ 97% coverage but I've seen thunder clouds darken the area more. Not complaining, just an observation. Main effect was temperature change.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
A few degrees off makes a real difference, we were @ 97% coverage but I've seen thunder clouds darken the area more. Not complaining, just an observation. Main effect was temperature change.

It wasn't even dark in a totality area, it was like the power level on a lightbulb getting decreased to dim. It was weird.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I am in Gallatin, we were supposed to have as much totality as Hopkinsville and to me it was kinda meh....Not worth taking a day off for. It got dusk like for a couple of minutes but that was it. I definitely would not travel anywhere to see that. To me, it seems like the media really way overhyped this. I would compare the hype of this to a SCF game compared to a result that you get on a Tuesday night Calgary game.
I'm working and it was cool but I think I said earlier that certain things kinda messed with the experience. There were some clouds but things downtown like street lights and lights that naturally come from these buildings added a lot of brightness. I've seen videos from a couple friends where it looked very dark, if not totally black and they are in South Nashville and Mt Juliet (or he may have been in the Boro).

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
It definitely wasn't as dark as I expected but still plenty of difference from usual, but I enjoyed watching the surrounding area darken in the hour leading up to totality. That was my big takeaway I guess, I've seen pictures and video of an eclipse, but you never really get to experience what's going on at ground level.

I can say, when the sun was about 75% covered, the softness of the light was fantastic, my eyes would really appreciate if it was always like that. Then again, it's all relative, so if that was the brightest that it ever got, it would still be "too bright".

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I've been an astronomy nerd all my life and that was so effing cool. We had 100% totality for like 90 seconds. Had my mother, my wife and 4 kids out on our pool deck... we have woods beside and behind us so the cicadas and frogs started chirping like it was night, and the 360 sunset was unreal. And totality was one of the few natural things in life that lived up to the hype. 7 years from now my 2 littlest ones will be old enough to understand (they didn't understand this one, just had fun in the pool ) and we will either travel to Paducah/Carbondale to see it again or by then my oldest will be a commercial pilot and maybe we will view it from the air...

Those of you who saw totality and were unimpressed, I just don't understand. .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad