OT: Eclipse

gratefulpred

Eternal Optimist
Jun 27, 2011
Almo Heights, KY
It was very nice here in Almo Heights, had about a 1 minute and some change of totality. Clouds cooperated and stayed away for the most part and the silver light sheen was amazing on them. Temperature drop was a welcome relief and checking out all the shadow tricks was also pretty sweet. The greatest part was being able to enjoy it all with my family in the front yard!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Meh I just happened to wake up to use the bathroom about the time it rolled through, looked out the window to see how dark it was and then crawled back in bed.

I understand why people think it's awesome, wasn't worth losing sleep over for me lol.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I've been an astronomy nerd all my life and that was so effing cool. We had 100% totality for like 90 seconds. Had my mother, my wife and 4 kids out on our pool deck... we have woods beside and behind us so the cicadas and frogs started chirping like it was night, and the 360 sunset was unreal. And totality was one of the few natural things in life that lived up to the hype. 7 years from now my 2 littlest ones will be old enough to understand (they didn't understand this one, just had fun in the pool ) and we will either travel to Paducah/Carbondale to see it again or by then my oldest will be a commercial pilot and maybe we will view it from the air...

Those of you who saw totality and were unimpressed, I just don't understand. .
I thought it was awesome! :yo:

In hendersonville we had a few clouds, but during totality it was almost completely clear or just a thin could that didn't effect viewing.

From the start, the crescent sun, the totality, the temperature drop, the darkness setting in, the cicadas getting louder, the "shadow snakes", the "diamond ring", the "beads", the brightening up, to the moon completely leaving from the sun this was so awesome!!

It was even greater with binoculars! It was a bit awkward trying to match up the binoculars with the eyes of the glasses during partiality. But watching during totality was cool. I could see the corona and the beads really well! Seeing the diamond ring through them was awesome (even though that's what they tell you not to do, lol!)

It was pretty quiet in the neighborhood as it was happening, then as totality hit people started cheering and yelling and someone set off fireworks! It was about 2:30 of totality and it seemed like it went by in 5 seconds!

We had eclipse snacks, Sun Drop and Moon Pies!

---
Someone on one of the news channels reported from Gallatin and reported 17 countries and 39 states were represented at the park from where they were watching!

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
That's ridiculous. I can make it to Ashland, Kentucky in less time than that lol

yeah, he spent approximately 3 hours traveling the last 15 miles of the WK parkway into Elizabethtown. Once he got past there he had open road... but it took 9 hours to get back to school when it usually takes him 3

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
yeah, he spent approximately 3 hours traveling the last 15 miles of the WK parkway into Elizabethtown. Once he got past there he had open road... but it took 9 hours to get back to school when it usually takes him 3

All that construction up by Elizabethtown probably didn't help matters, it backs up on a regular day. I'll be glad when they get all of that construction done up to Blue Grass Parkway. It's been going on since my wife and I got married.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I drove to Leavenworth, then rode my bicycle towards Atchison for totality ... only to have clouds and rain block my view. It was an awesome experience.

The number of families with young kids out to watch science in action was impressive. Maybe just a few of those kids will take an interest in STEM and further our knowledge of the universe.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Awesome. Was in Hendersonville watching, eatting a good meal at Demo's and watched the sun at a little park near by.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My mother and sister headed south afterward. Sis didn't say how long it took them, but did mention that it took a LOT longer than usual to get to north Alabama. They were also hitting rush hour traffic, too, since they didn't leave Hermitage til after 3.

I am already planning a trip for the one April 8, 2024. A friend from HS lives in the pathway and will have a 2 minute totality. He lives near Dayton, OH. So Preds, do NOT schedule a home playoff game that day, okay? (thinking ahead...)

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
My mother and sister headed south afterward. Sis didn't say how long it took them, but did mention that it took a LOT longer than usual to get to north Alabama. They were also hitting rush hour traffic, too, since they didn't leave Hermitage til after 3.

I am already planning a trip for the one April 8, 2024. A friend from HS lives in the pathway and will have a 2 minute totality. He lives near Dayton, OH. So Preds, do NOT schedule a home playoff game that day, okay? (thinking ahead...)

If there is a home game, it would be the regular season finale or something to that extent. The season has been ending around the 8-12th over the last few years.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

If there is a home game, it would be the regular season finale or something to that extent. The season has been ending around the 8-12th over the last few years.
I'll one up you. Have a late season game in Columbus right before or after.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Just played Black Hole SUN, now Total Eclispe of the heart'
There was someone playing those exact tunes during the event yesterday along Old Hickory Lake, ha, classic indeed.

solar-jpg.154616

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Funny, the classic my sister and I centered on was You're so Vain.

...then you flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun
Well you're where you should be all the time, but when you're not you're with
Some underworld spy of the wife of a close friend...
Ah, Carly Simon.

That was why seester wore the apricot scarf--WE were where we should be to see the total eclipse. ha!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I grew up in Dayton. I still have 2 nieces that live there. I visited about 10 days ago. We talked about the eclipses. I may go there or Carbondale or to Indy.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I grew up in Dayton. I still have 2 nieces that live there. I visited about 10 days ago. We talked about the eclipses. I may go there or Carbondale or to Indy.

Tim lives in Bellbrook, which is nearer to Kettering. We'll probably head that way but might go a bit north of Bellbrook to get more in the center.

As for dates, you never know whe there they'll change it up. I'm just getting my request in early.

Yukon Cornellis

aka Phoneguy
Mar 27, 2010
Hendersonville, TN
I thought it was awesome! :yo:

In hendersonville we had a few clouds, but during totality it was almost completely clear or just a thin could that didn't effect viewing.

From the start, the crescent sun, the totality, the temperature drop, the darkness setting in, the cicadas getting louder, the "shadow snakes", the "diamond ring", the "beads", the brightening up, to the moon completely leaving from the sun this was so awesome!!

It was even greater with binoculars! It was a bit awkward trying to match up the binoculars with the eyes of the glasses during partiality. But watching during totality was cool. I could see the corona and the beads really well! Seeing the diamond ring through them was awesome (even though that's what they tell you not to do, lol!)

It was pretty quiet in the neighborhood as it was happening, then as totality hit people started cheering and yelling and someone set off fireworks! It was about 2:30 of totality and it seemed like it went by in 5 seconds!

We had eclipse snacks, Sun Drop and Moon Pies!

---
Someone on one of the news channels reported from Gallatin and reported 17 countries and 39 states were represented at the park from where they were watching!
Maybe in your part of Hendersonville it was clear. Where we were at we got about 20 seconds of totality, and then a cloud came over and obscured the rest....stupid cloud..

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Tim lives in Bellbrook, which is nearer to Kettering. We'll probably head that way but might go a bit north of Bellbrook to get more in the center.

As for dates, you never know whe there they'll change it up. I'm just getting my request in early.

One niece lives in Kettering, the other in Huber Heights. It is kind of odd. My mom lived in Kettering toward the end and my sister ( the nieces mother) lived in HH for many years before moving to Florida.

gratefulpred

Eternal Optimist
Jun 27, 2011
Almo Heights, KY
heard on the radio this AM that Ozzy was in Illinois for the eclipse and played Bark at the Moon during totality

They advertised that concert at this winery in Southern Illinois for months on the Paducah and Cape Girardeau TV stations. Hyped it up out the wazoo that folks from all over were coming....no idea what tickets were going for but out of an anticipated crowd of 50,000 only 6,000 showed up so it must have been that cheap.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I didn't "go" anywhere to watch it--I watched from work. My coworker had asked off for the 21st a few months back and it was honestly the first time I really started to think about it. I mean, in my mind you just looked up, right? But upon a little pondering I went outside and checked whether we had any trees or power lines blocking the parking lot view at work and kept an eye on where the sun would be at 1 PM. By two months ago I knew it would be fine. Sun's position wasn't going to change too much. So I made lunch stuff for the staff so they wouldn't have to leave and we watched from the office. A couple of them left anyway but they shouldn't have since they got clouds and we didn't. They should know that I always plan everything down to the least little thing--once I get started. ;-)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I hope BFC and Viqsi et al decided to stay until tomorrow morning before driving back. I65 is a parking lot as is the Western KY parkway. My son left over 5 hours ago on what is normally a three hour drive and he still hasn't made it through Elizabethtown

We delayed until yesterday; I'm home and BFC is heading the rest of the way back to his place today (I'm at work :( :) ). Getting there was shockingly easy. Getting back to our hotel in Columbia took forever and had us inadvertently following a Volvo without temporary tags most of the way. (Trust in the Volvo. We are guided by the Volvo. The Volvo will show us the True Path Home. :nod: )

* * *​
I didn't get to see who was playing it sadly. All I recall is the music starting right near totality, definitely was a nice touch!

If you also heard Here Comes The Sun at the end of totality, you might have been near us. :D (That one was my contribution)

* * *​

My parents and I are either JUST outside or JUST inside the zone of totality for that one (I haven't been able to tell for sure). My brother and sister-in-law are definitely within the zone of totality, though.

Perhaps we can have the Preds visit the Jackets around that time. :)

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I made it home. (just in time to pack for college...again). Yeah, played blackhole sun before the totality, Viqsi played Here comes the sun at the end. Was tempted to play total eclipse of the heart but was more tempted to murder a friend playing a weird instrument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad