OT: Eclipse

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Is anyone else excited for this? I have a thread in the sciences section but it rarely visited. Since we are the ONLY NHL city in the total path it would be nice to discuss our experiences.

With Viqsi and 20+ other friends huddled in Columbia till tomorrow

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Hopkinsville Ky aka "Eclipseville" is like Woodstock at this point.

But the hype has exceed the hoopla here just a bit north. Not nearly as many out of town folks as anticipated, unless there is a huge influx today

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Hopkinsville Ky aka "Eclipseville" is like Woodstock at this point.

But the hype has exceed the hoopla here just a bit north. Not nearly as many out of town folks as anticipated, unless there is a huge influx today

Yeah this entire thing has been way overhyped.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm excited for the chance to experience it with my four year old and make a nice solar system lesson out of it.

But yes, it's getting a ton of hype. I'm seeing a lot of "once in a lifetime" stuff which isn't true. I think a lot of people are making serious money from this as well which drives up the hype.

Too bad it's not happening on a Saturday or a Sunday during hockey season, the Preds could have an eclipse viewing party and then the game.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
This is actually once in a lifetime depending on how you look at it. The path is crossing the entirety of the US and that hasn't happened in almost 100 years. Not sure if the frequency is the same looking forward to the next time one of these occurs but assuming it's once per ~100 years then I'm about 100% sure I won't be around to see that one.

With that said, regardless of the geography aspect, I'm in my 40s and honestly don't remember the last time I had a chance to see a total solar eclipse. So as of now this feels pretty much once in a lifetime for me personally.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
This is actually once in a lifetime depending on how you look at it. The path is crossing the entirety of the US and that hasn't happened in almost 100 years. Not sure if the frequency is the same looking forward to the next time one of these occurs but assuming it's once per ~100 years then I'm about 100% sure I won't be around to see that one.

With that said, regardless of the geography aspect, I'm in my 40s and honestly don't remember the last time I had a chance to see a total solar eclipse. So as of now this feels pretty much once in a lifetime for me personally.

Next Eclipse in the US is in 2024, next one that crosses the entire country is in 2045.

2024:
320px-SE2024Apr08T.png

2045:
320px-SE2045Aug12T.png

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I remember an eclipse when I was a kid and I'm 40. We did the whole looking through the box thing at school. Not sure if it was a total one but seems like I was in 1st grade or something when it happened.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I went to the Okefenokee Swamp (SE Georgia) in 1970 for the eclipse with my Boy Scout troop for a weekend camp out. Our goal was to see the animal reaction, I wasn't sophisticated enough to see any difference in the alligators, not sure I am now either, but do remember the trip. So after today I will have been solar-ly eclipsed twice in my lifetime. Not getting on the roads today but will have nearly 97% totality from my farm.

https://www.space.com/35998-remembering-1970-solar-eclipse.html

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
There are total eclipses every few years, you just have to travel in order to see it. So while it may be once in a lifetime to have totality right in your back yard, it's not the only time you'd be able to experience it.

Technically, If you had access to a form of space travel, the sun is always in eclipse by every object which orbits it, you just have to be in the correct location. So you could say there is absolutely nothing special happening today, the only thing that is changing is our perspective. Which is why it's so silly when people freak out and predict end times and other wacky stuff during an event such as today.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
There are total eclipses every few years, you just have to travel in order to see it. So while it may be once in a lifetime to have totality right in your back yard, it's not the only time you'd be able to experience it.

Technically, If you had access to a form of space travel, the sun is always in eclipse by every object which orbits it, you just have to be in the correct location. So you could say there is absolutely nothing special happening today, the only thing that is changing is our perspective. Which is why it's so silly when people freak out and predict end times and other wacky stuff during an event such as today.

So being a Space Cadet isn't always a bad thing?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I remember an eclipse when I was a kid and I'm 40. We did the whole looking through the box thing at school. Not sure if it was a total one but seems like I was in 1st grade or something when it happened.

Same here. It wasn't total though.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
There was one in the Philly area sometime in the late 80's we made shoebox viewers as a class project.

Don't forget that while there is only 2-2:30 of Totality in the early afternoon, the entire event will last more than three hours. So enjoy the whole show!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Is anyone else excited for this? I have a thread in the sciences section but it rarely visited. Since we are the ONLY NHL city in the total path it would be nice to discuss our experiences.
I'm just being picky at this point but I thought St Louis was in the total path as well. Could be wrong though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad