ECHL absorbs CHL, 7 teams to join ECHL for 2014-15 season

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Mallards were affiliated the Wild last season and continued their (now defunct) CHL affiliation again this season. Alaska is the current "official" ECHL affiliate for Minnesota, replacing Orlando from last season.

Once a fully-integrated ECHL begins playing in 2015-16, I bet Minnesota makes the QC Mallards their lone ECHL affiliate. This season, however, I can see Alaska getting most of Minnesota's better prospect material.

Do you really think the Mallards will last? Are Chris Lencheski or Eric Katls or Club9 coming back? Lol

speedrissr

Jun 3, 2014
I wish the dopes running this league would come to the realization that the diehards have long figured out. This league is not important to the successes of the AHL or NHL. They really don't even need this league. The only reason they do is to stuff remaining contracts of guys way down the number list of contracted players who can't make the AHL roster but are out of options aside from going to Europe(which if they were smarter the players would rather go there, better hockey and more money)most of these guys will never become AHL regulars let alone play in the NHL. The product is horrible because of the affiliation. Nothing like going to a mid season game in Elmira or Reading and seeing a depleted lineup and struggling to field a team and having to use FHL or SPHL level players to fill the voids. Paying for season tickets isn't worth it. This league would be well better off becoming like the old UHL. The UHL didn't die because of Its business model. It died because the league became a Midwestern bus league and was in struggling cities like Port Huron, Muskegon and Flint who could no longer support teams. Throw in a team from Chicago that had no real shot and Bloomington was always a mess.

I agree with the NHL not caring, it does have value for the AHL teams, giving them a spot to park a handful of players and a goalie, the 30 / 30 / 30 fanbois will have to take their victory lap early, there won't be 28, much less 30 teams next season.

Al?

RLR

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
Do you really think the Mallards will last? Are Chris Lencheski or Eric Katls or Club9 coming back? Lol

I guess that depends on how you define "last" in terms of longevity. The Mallards may have bought themselves a couple extra years in AA hockey by moving to the ECHL. The geography is much better than the CHL, and I think the Mallards' current ownership may be committed enough to soldier on if the attendance stabilizes.

That's a big "if" right now, but it certainly isn't out of the question. Eventually, I believe economic necessity may force the Mallards into the USHL, especially if attendance drops back into the low 3k range. We'll just have to see if the current owners can keep improving the overall product. Like I said, a big "if" given our recent past.

I'm certainly rooting for the ECHL to succeed in the Quad Cities. I also know rooting alone means nothing if the balance sheet is drowning in red ink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad