EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
It's done !

http://centralhockeyleague.com/news/?article_id=11233

ECHL Accepts Seven New Members
League expands to 28 teams for 2014-15 season

CHICAGO – The ECHL announced on Tuesday that the League’s Board of Governors has approved the Membership applications of the Allen Americans, Brampton Beast, Missouri Mavericks, Quad City Mallards, Rapid City Rush, Tulsa Oilers and Wichita Thunder for admission to the ECHL.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Is there a map with all the new 28 teams on it ?

Not yet, but there should be in a few days. If all seven survive to next year, they should prosper. I'm interested in Indy/Wichita since that was my first-ever hockey game.

Even if the ECHL loses California, the SI report stated they would get a foothold in the East Coast again.

I'm just glad its over.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
Not yet, but there should be in a few days. If all seven survive to next year, they should prosper. I'm interested in Indy/Wichita since that was my first-ever hockey game.

Even if the ECHL loses California, the SI report stated they would get a foothold in the East Coast again.

I'm just glad its over.

I wouldn't be so sure the new teams will prosper. The teams who made the jump from the UHL to the ECHL, as in Kalamazoo, Elmira, and Fort Wayne have all seen attendance declines once the "newness" of the ECHL product has worn off.

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Glad ot hear it's done and hopefully this will lead to some stability in the AA level. The re schedule for this season is tight but might as well get it done.

Any thoughts after this season if this merged league will get re named?

Last edited:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Glad ot hear it's done and hopefully this will lead to some stability in the AA level. The re schedule for this season is tight but might as well get it done.

Any thoughts after this season if this merged league wil get re named?

The ECHL has a strong brand, and is well-established as the AA league in hockey. I'd be stunned if the ownership altered the league name in any way.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
time to sack the CHL and get a stronger ECHL together. I think a true, stable 1:1:1 affiliation will be great for hockey. It works extremely well for baseball.

Stitch11

Oct 7, 2014
CHL teams will add 6 more games to get to 72 with some combination(3 home 3 away- 4 home 2away)with existing ECHL teams.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The ECHL has a strong brand, and is well-established as the AA league in hockey. I'd be stunned if the ownership altered the league name in any way.

When the West teams go AHL it makes no sense not to re-name it back to the East Coast Hockey League. Other people in the hockey world still call it that...even Doc Emerick.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
time to sack the CHL and get a stronger ECHL together. I think a true, stable 1:1:1 affiliation will be great for hockey. It works extremely well for baseball.

Adding more teams doesn't make your league stronger.vthey had issues with this a few years back. Lol at Quad City though. They have had like 4 owners in 5 years and aren't stable in anyway.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I wouldn't be so sure the new teams will prosper. The teams who made the jump from the UHL to the ECHL, as in Kalamazoo, Elmira, and Fort Wayne have all seen attendance declines once the "newness" of the ECHL product has worn off.

I know for me the product has gotten boring. We have never in 7 years had a guy who became an NHL regular. They way over sell this. This isn't baseball where everyone plays minor league ball. Lots of continuity lacked. I don't care what guys do after Elmira and they all have dreams beyond Elmira.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Interesting issue here: Dallas, Minnesota, and Tampa Bay had affiliates in the CHL (Allen, Quad City, and Brampton, respectively) as well as in the ECHL (Idaho, Alaska, and Florida, respectively). Surely they won't be allowed to have two affiliates each...

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Interesting issue here: Dallas, Minnesota, and Tampa Bay had affiliates in the CHL (Allen, Quad City, and Brampton, respectively) as well as in the ECHL (Idaho, Alaska, and Florida, respectively). Surely they won't be allowed to have two affiliates each...

There's no rule against it. It's happened before in the ECHL. Just means each of the affiliates will only get a few players.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
I find it funny that NONE of the posters who said that the merger will NEVER HAPPEN have posted anything yet.

PointyElbows

Apr 17, 2013
I find it funny that NONE of the posters who said that the merger will NEVER HAPPEN have posted anything yet.

I suppose they didn't want to rub anyone's nose in it. After all the announcement is specific that it is not a merger: The ECHL announced on Tuesday that the League’s Board of Governors has approved the Membership applications of the Allen Americans, Brampton Beast, Missouri Mavericks, Quad City Mallards, Rapid City Rush, Tulsa Oilers and Wichita Thunder for admission to the ECHL.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The CHL is finally dead. Will be interesting to see how former CHL franchises do come playoff time. However looking at recent signings for the CHL franchises the last few weeks have brought in more ECHL caliber players.

Also here's what this absorption is like to me lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRvAAYjmqkE&feature=player_detailpage

Also since this isn't a merger, that would mean CHL officials are out of a job or does the ECHL take them in as well?

Last edited:

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
I suppose they didn't want to rub anyone's nose in it. After all the announcement is specific that it is not a merger: The ECHL announced on Tuesday that the League’s Board of Governors has approved the Membership applications of the Allen Americans, Brampton Beast, Missouri Mavericks, Quad City Mallards, Rapid City Rush, Tulsa Oilers and Wichita Thunder for admission to the ECHL.

It's not a merger on paper, but fundamentally it is a merger. Much like when the WCHL joined the ECHL a few years back. I guarantee you that entry fees were either vastly reduced or waived.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
A tweet from Mike McKenna today. I wonder if anything changes as far who the the CHL teams had signed.

https://twitter.com/MikeMcKenna56

According to him, any players signed with CHL for the upcoming season are unrestricted free agents now and can sign with anywhere.

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Just for clarification, the Stars haven't been affiliated with the Allen Americans for a couple seasons now. Allen and the CHL just never removed that from there websites, info, etc.

Last edited:

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

Agreed. Not just the newness wore off, the boring non entertaining hockey did. In an ideal world, the UHL was fantastic for geographic rivalries and intensity.

When the West teams go AHL it makes no sense not to re-name it back to the East Coast Hockey League. Other people in the hockey world still call it that...even Doc Emerick.

When?

The NHL has no interest in the ECHL as a AA style development league. Baseball has many more players under contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
The NHL has no interest in the ECHL as a AA style development league. Baseball has many more players under contract.

Really. And yet the ECHL is recognized in the NHL CBA, meaning that a player signed to an NHL (Entry-Level) Contract can only be assigned to a team in the AHL or ECHL. Yet the NHL has "no interest" in the ECHL as a developmental league?

It is true that, as compared to baseball, NHL players are much less likely to have played AA - the development of players in baseball is very different than it is in hockey. But, 14 NHL teams own their AHL franchises ... and those franchises rely upon ECHL affiliates to develop players for the AHL, and also rely on their ECHL affiliates to provide players for recall throughout the season.

So, it's a bit ridiculous to suggest that the NHL has "no interest" in the ECHL. They have a great deal of interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad