ECF Game #5 l Pens host Ottawa at the Paint Bucket l 3:00 NBC, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I don't know what it is about Murray but the team plays like a powerhouse whenever he's in the net. MM must face 50% the shots that Fleury faces.
He only surrenders about half as many rebounds as Fleury does, and he controls them/directs them out of danger when he does. Thus our defense doesn't need to scramble nearly as much, and they get easier, less frantic clearances, if not straight up breakout opportunities to begin an offensive rush. Or, they get a whistle to change up. Plus he handles the puck infinitely better than Fleury (a low bar, to be sure) making dump-ins less of a hassle for our defensemen.

The only time the Penguins are in serious trouble is when they're struggling to get clean zone exits, which happens when they're in panic mode running around their own zone. That's when you see our D icing the puck, or committing turnovers on noodle-armed clears.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, Murray absorbs shots better than Fleury does, you get 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances with Fleury. With Murray, he'll give you maybe a 2nd chance with a rebound the odd time, but most of the time, he'll absorb it and slow the play down when the team needs it from him.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Murray controls rebounds better. He can't be victimized by dump ins like Fleury because he is better stick handler. He gives confidence to the skaters that if they make a mistake it probably won't end up in the back of the net. He covers plenty of net and is fairly agile for a tall goalie. Former coach Mike Johnston knew these things about Fleury and had his team play as Conservative as possible to cover the flaws. Crosby & Malkin were both handcuffed and their play declined. With Murray in net the entire team feels like it can be creative and take chances.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I haven't seen these Penguins in a while now. I was very proud of Fleury and he has played so much better this spring, but the team's confidence and ability to the pace the game is just better when Murray is in goal. He is such a calm anchor, and I'm so glad he's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad