ECF Game #5 l Pens host Ottawa at the Paint Bucket l 3:00 NBC, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nice game to witness as a Pens fan.

Ottawa could still win the next two. Domination doesn't often translate from one game to the next.

Yep. It's one win for a team. One loss for a team. Ottawa will be desperate at their elimination game AND coming off an embarrassing loss. That is going to be one determined team in Game 6. Pens better be ready or it may be over quick. First goals have meant everything.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Be good to get Boro and Burrows back for next game, will make Ottawa much tougher to play against.

I attended the 8-5 Pens/Sens game earlier this season. Boro had the worst game of any player I've ever seen. And he hasn't looked much better any other time I saw him. I actually went on the Ottawa board and asked how he was getting regular time and it seemed like most agreed with me.

I hope Boro plays! Please!

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Sens had their chance against a depleted pens team. They were up 1-0 in the series and blew it in game 2. We were banged up, couldn't score. Yet the sens sat back in game 2 and pens finally got on the board and won. They could've attacked and went up 2-0 in the series.

The pens may not have been able to recover. Rust, Hornqvist, and Schultz missed those next 3 games.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sens had their chance against a depleted pens team. They were up 1-0 in the series and blew it in game 2. We were banged up, couldn't score. Yet the sens sat back in game 2 and pens finally got on the board and won. They could've attacked and went up 2-0 in the series.

The pens may not have been able to recover. Rust, Hornqvist, and Schultz missed those next 3 games.

Yeah winning game 2 would of been good for Ottawa

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If the sens don't play back waiting for a mistake against a injury riddled pens squad in game 2 maybe they win ...If the pens pull out the OT win in game one or at least don't gift that puck to the sens behind their net for their regulation goal this series is over... ifs are a funny thing... what they aren't is reality...

TimbitsHockey877*

Mar 21, 2016
Looks like they are teaching unfortunate good hockey plays in Ottawa. Anybody else notice how Wingels made a point to keep his elbow tucked while he was lining up for Wilsons head then got tired of waiting and frustrated and just chicken winged it.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Looks like they are teaching unfortunate good hockey plays in Ottawa. Anybody else notice how Wingels made a point to keep his elbow tucked while he was lining up for Wilsons head then got tired of waiting and frustrated and just chicken winged it.

Im pretty certain i can dismiss one odd headshot as an accident... two in one series is.. well it happens..., but this was at the end of a major blowout ... wasn't an attempt to play the puck and looked premeditated... it was a bs play and he should be made an example of

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The fact that the Penguins won 7-0 today doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

What Ottawa should be far more concerned about and what should give the Penguins a boost of confidence is that the Penguins have dictated the pace of the game and the majority of play for two straight games.

The Penguins spent a lot of the early part of the series reacting and waiting. Now they're the ones initiating. They're being much more aggressive while still staying smart and relatively disciplined.

I expect Ottawa to have a lot of jump and to be desperate on Tuesday, but if the Penguins can get an early goal or even just hold off the Senators' anticipated early surge, I think the Pens wrap it up in Game 6.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pens fans don't have to look too far back. 2009. Game 5. Beatdown city against Detroit. We came back and won 2 games. One at home and on the road.

TimbitsHockey877*

Mar 21, 2016
Im pretty certain i can dismiss one odd headshot as an accident... two in one series is.. well it happens..., but this was at the end of a major blowout ... wasn't an attempt to play the puck and looked premeditated... it was a bs play and he should be made an example of

Agreed but there's been at least 1 headshot in every game. Watch Wingels make a point to tuck his arm and then explode into Wilsons head. My point is they are clearly teaching and encouraging these type of plays in Ottawa. Same as the Phaneuf and Ryan hits except the Pens player actually went into them. I knew they were targeting heads the whole time.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Agreed but there's been at least 1 headshot in every game. Watch Wingels make a point to tuck his arm and then explode into Wilsons head. My point is they are clearly teaching and encouraging these type of plays in Ottawa. Same as the Phaneuf and Ryan hits except the Pens player actually went into them. I knew they were targeting heads the whole time.

This was the only targeted headshot all series. I know it's hard for you to make a post that isn't crapping on the Sens, but it is.

Pikesburgh

May 1, 2016
Let me guess - the Pens won 7-0 because of the refs?

Seems like the NHL wants Ottawa to win. They missed so many calls that should have been a Pittsburgh PP. The crosscheck on Cole into the boards. The pulling down of (was it Rust?) on what was becoming a breakaway. The missed call on the boarding of Rust. The list goes on and on. Then they call Cullen for "tripping" in the first. The reffing was terrible, and yet the Pens STILL won 7-0.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
1969 was the first universal draft and Sam Pollock persuaded the NHL to give the Canadiens a "grandfather clause" for one year and used it to draft Réjean Houle and Marc Tardif.

There was a draft from 1963 to 1968 where they had that privilege, but those were not universal drafts.

Basically, anyone who could lace up his skates and chew gum at the same time had already been signed to a C-Form (Orr was signed by the Bruins at age 13, for example) and were already playing on the signing team farm system (mostly junior leagues). There were a few exceptions : kids whose parents refused permission, kids who did not want to leave home for far away, kids who focused on their studies etc.

Prior to 1963, there was no draft at all.

The Canadiens spent a lot of money sponsoring junior teams and that gave them more room to have C-form signees play.

They also bought the league Beliveau played in (QSHL) and turned it into a pro league so he would come to the Canadiens because he signed a B-Form stating he would play for the Habs when he turned pro.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Pens got sick of being held to 1 goal. They're not used to it and the fans don't like it. This game somewhat makes up for games 1-3.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The fact that the Penguins won 7-0 today doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

What Ottawa should be far more concerned about and what should give the Penguins a boost of confidence is that the Penguins have dictated the pace of the game and the majority of play for two straight games.

The Penguins spent a lot of the early part of the series reacting and waiting. Now they're the ones initiating. They're being much more aggressive while still staying smart and relatively disciplined.

I expect Ottawa to have a lot of jump and to be desperate on Tuesday, but if the Penguins can get an early goal or even just hold off the Senators' anticipated early surge, I think the Pens wrap it up in Game 6.

Agree with a lot of this ,but honestly even if Sens do score the first goal....we still have a chance with Murray in net.

We were snake bit in those first 3 games. Having Hornqvist and Rust out was huge. Offense woke up a bit in game 4, with the line changes. And now with Rust back, they exploded today. So goals shouldn't be a problem going forward. Did we hit one post today?

We can still lose game 6, but with Murray in net and our offense back...this could be the first game where if we don't score the first goal, its not an automatic loss. It will be a close game no matter who wins. Unless we take a lead after the first period and the Sens have nothing left in the tank.

Last edited:

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
I don't know what it is about Murray but the team plays like a powerhouse whenever he's in the net. MM must face 50% the shots that Fleury faces.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
They also bought the league Beliveau played in (QSHL) and turned it into a pro league so he would come to the Canadiens because he signed a B-Form stating he would play for the Habs when he turned pro.

Béliveau was a god in Québec while playing with the As in that semi-pro Ligue de Hockey Senior du Québec.

The average salary in the NHL was $7K and Béliveau au was earning $10K with the As.

That led Montreal to buy that league and turn it pro.

His first contract was for 5 years and $100K, a gigantic amount 63 years ago.

PS: Before finally joining the Habs for good, he played 5 games for them while a junior and a semi-pro, scoring 6 goals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad