ECF Game #5 l Pens host Ottawa at the Paint Bucket l 3:00 NBC, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Well, I'm happy to be corrected. I always read that was the case, that Habs had first crack at any francophone players.

What was the deal then? Was it just that francophone players felt more comfortable playing there? Or that anglophone clubs just didn't want Francophones because of the language barrier?

1969 was the first universal draft and Sam Pollock persuaded the NHL to give the Canadiens a "grandfather clause" for one year and used it to draft Réjean Houle and Marc Tardif.

There was a draft from 1963 to 1968 where they had that privilege, but those were not universal drafts.

Basically, anyone who could lace up his skates and chew gum at the same time had already been signed to a C-Form (Orr was signed by the Bruins at age 13, for example) and were already playing on the signing team farm system (mostly junior leagues). There were a few exceptions : kids whose parents refused permission, kids who did not want to leave home for far away, kids who focused on their studies etc.

Prior to 1963, there was no draft at all.

The Canadiens spent a lot of money sponsoring junior teams and that gave them more room to have C-form signees play.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Pens are playing well, ottawa isn't out of magic yet, just need to play a more honest game, not worry about the refs the Penguins have paid off and stay patient and play sens style hockey

You say we paid the refs and yet, we had more penalties called on us.

Must get a receipt.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Certainly not over yet but Sully finally has the bodies and lines that resemble the 2016 ice tiliting Pens.
Thats bad news for the rest of the teams remaining if they continue to find their mojo.
They are tough to beat when they are coming at you in waves like they did today.

OTT will certainly be better in G6 though.

Last edited:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Refs are just bad in general and inconsistent. Refs screw both teams most games.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
You say we paid the refs and yet, we had more penalties called on us.

Must get a receipt.

It really is amazing. The refs in the Pens pocket thing comes up no matter what the situation is like clockwork. This is the most asinine situation for it to come up, but of course let's go to that excuse. Today was a 7-0 game, for the series the Sens have more PPs than the Pens, and the Pens have lost more players to injuries and had to play games down men far more than he Sens. It's not the Pens fault the Sense are 0/15 on the PP and the Pens are 5/14 including 5 of their last 6. I'm not sure why you even want more PPs... the Sens are really just lost at 5 on 4 right now and the best chance today while the Sens were on the PP was Hagelin's breakaway.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Momentum going in can be such a weird thing- does the Wingel elbow fire the Pens up? Does the 7-0 drubbing fire the Sens up? Maybe. But if neither team capitalizes on that quickly, the momentum is lost in the heat of the game REAL quick.

Ask the Sharks if they got riled up by Draisaitl's cheap shot in their 7-0 win.

Wolf Larsen

Jan 10, 2017
Nice game to witness as a Pens fan.

Ottawa could still win the next two. Domination doesn't often translate from one game to the next.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
It really is amazing. The refs in the Pens pocket thing comes up no matter what the situation is like clockwork. This is the most asinine situation for it to come up, but of course let's go to that excuse. Today was a 7-0 game, for the series the Sens have more PPs than the Pens, and the Pens have lost more players to injuries and had to play games down men far more than he Sens. It's not the Pens fault the Sense are 0/15 on the PP and the Pens are 5/14 including 5 of their last 6. I'm not sure why you even want more PPs... the Sens are really just lost at 5 on 4 right now and the best chance today while the Sens were on the PP was Hagelin's breakaway.

It amazes you? It's because it's true..

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Correct. They gave him an NHL two-way deal summer of 2016(Correction March 2016). Played all AHL/NHL this season.

Rowney straight up exploded out of the gate when he turned pro. Was a PPG player in the ECHL in 13-14, then became a bottom-6 AHL center in 14-15, then became a top-6 AHL center (a really good one, I should add) in 15-16 and then became a bottom-6 NHL center in 16-17.

Rowney has gone from a really good ECHLer to a damn solid NHLer in a really short time. I don't know of many other guys who have done that.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Pens are playing well, ottawa isn't out of magic yet, just need to play a more honest game, not worry about the refs the Penguins have paid off and stay patient and play sens style hockey

giphy.gif

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Again, do Sens fans want to see their team go 0 for 100 on the PP? What's with the ref talk? They can't score on the power play anyways.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
It amazes you? It's because it's true..

And how have you come to that wonderfully insightful conclusion? I know it's blasphemous to ask for any facts or #'s that may slightly support your argument outside of "because I said so and I heard someone else say so too", but just curious so I can see the info for myself and be enlightened too.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Be good to get Boro and Burrows back for next game, will make Ottawa much tougher to play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad