Post-Game Talk: ECF GAME 1 - The storm blew out to sea - BRUINS 5 Whalercanes 2 F - B's lead series 1-0

BlakeyBro

May 10, 2019
The Canes fans are just overjoyed to have made it this far, and you can't blame them. They were ear-marked to be cellar dwellers this season and now they are in the ECF. They beat a good WSH team, and then swept an over-achieving NYI team. Same with the B's. We beat a good TOR team and an over-achieving CBJ team.

But I don't think the majority of them really know just how good and deep this B's team is. And combine the skill and experience with the completely hot goaltending from Rask, the B's are the clear cut favorite to win the Cup.

Game 1 had some really bizarre reffing throughout, but fans can't blame the refs for losing or winning a game. CAR had chances to kill off the penalties, but failed miserably. BOS has the best PP in the playoffs and it showed last night. The B's will win this series in 5 games

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I was glad to see MoJo make another contribution to the Bruins win. When a team rents a player it's a risk that that player can develop chemistry with other players on the team. Marcus has played in 12 games and has 3 goals and 4 assists during the playoffs so far. He ranks 7th on the team in points.

Go Marcus

I hope Don Sweeney makes him an offer he can't refuse.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
It wasn't a watch party. It was a "Fan Fest" for those going to the game to hang out and hear some music. We don't do watch parties. No self respecting Bostonian is going to leave the bar to go watch hockey outside.

Actually, it was both....

Bruins to Host Playoffs Fan Fest & Watch Party

Bruins said:
On Thursday, May 9, the Fan Fest will start at 5:30 p.m. ahead of Game One, which will start at 8:00 p.m. Once the game is underway, fans who don't have tickets can watch the NBCSN broadcast of the game in its entirety on the big screen located within the Fan Fest location on Canal Street.

I think the whole Fan Fest thing is kinda lame...basically a whole bunch of booths from random sponsors, and for the brief time I was there, instead of music it sounded like they were blaring ads from TV. Not too interested in sandbag tossing, and my belly was too full for Gifford's ice cream. The coolest thing there might have been to get a picture with Jack - I saw him taking pictures with a few fans.

Now, I think the watch party part is kind of cool - it's a nice day out, I assume there's a big screen, and you're with a big group of fans. Beer yourself at intermission at one of the bars.

The real boon is that this closes Canal Street to cars. I imagine this makes it easier for cops to control foot traffic once the game lets out.

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA
EJ Hradek was just on NHL Network talking about how bad the officiating was last night and pointed out the slew foot at the start of the game by foegele on Krug and how Joannette was right there almost in arms reach and didn't call a penalty.

He went on to say that slew-foots are the most dangerous of all infractions especially early in a game considering how fast the ice is and Joanette should of made the call right away and set the tone. They did a great job of breaking it down. Circling Foegele arm on Krug, as well as his leg behind him and the take-down and then circling Joanette watching it, all in the same picture.

That slewfoot was dirty AF. Could easily end a guy's career with that crap.

Not sure what's going on with the officiating in the playoffs, but they haven't called a single slewfoot that I've seen. Yet they call borderline hooks and slashes. Makes no sense.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
NHL sure likes putting the Bruins on Sunday holidays. First it was Easter afternoon, so I told the kids where the eggs were hid so they'd find them fast and I could catch most of the game. Now it will be Mother's Day afternoon, so I'll be taking mom to McDonalds, getting her some McNuggets, and telling her to eat them fast. Wish all my relatives didn't live 2 hours away or at least had cable TV and internet access. Thank goodness the playoffs aren't in December.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Don't know if this has been discussed, but I'm curious about what would have happened had the empty-net goal rolled wide instead. Coyle had a clear path to the rolling puck, and may have got to it if Aho had not been clearly holding him. I didn't notice if the ref's arm was up (I assume it must have been...) but if that puck had rolled wide of the net, would Coyle have been awarded a penalty shot, or would it be an automatic goal?

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
Don't know if this has been discussed, but I'm curious about what would have happened had the empty-net goal rolled wide instead. Coyle had a clear path to the rolling puck, and may have got to it if Aho had not been clearly holding him. I didn't notice if the ref's arm was up (I assume it must have been...) but if that puck had rolled wide of the net, would Coyle have been awarded a penalty shot, or would it be an automatic goal?
It becomes an awarded goal if the officials feel it was extremely likely that Coyle was going to score once he caught up to the puck.

Reactions: talkinaway

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I was wondering the same thing. I did not see any arms up, and I was looking because I didn't think the puck was going in upon release. Seems logical to give the Bs an automatic goal, but since Coyle never had possession of the puck I am thinking it might have been a 2 min PP, that is if the ref called anything at all.

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA
I cant help it, its just far too easy to get leaf fans to push conspiracy theories. They just need a little nudge.

Haven't ventured over there since the 2011 SCF. I got booted for arguing with some morons that Tim Thomas was a better goalie than Luongo.

Maybe it's changed, but I've felt that the mods there were kinda biased and had a quick trigger finger for Bs fans.

Reactions: BMC and HockeyMomx2

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
It should be an automatic goal but I am pretty sure that the referees arm didn’t go up so I was also wondering if he would have made the call. Somehow, I have my doubts. The Bruins had already reached their max calls.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
And about the Hamilton interference call, I wonder if it was made because Backes was already engaged with another player. Seems to me that it could be a result of Columbus complaining about the McAvoy hit so the league told the referees to watch for those plays.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad