Post-Game Talk: ECF GAME 1 - The storm blew out to sea - BRUINS 5 Whalercanes 2 F - B's lead series 1-0

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA
Last night’s game was a perfect demonstration of why I prefer a “let ‘em play” reffing style in the playoffs. Call the clear penalties, but otherwise let the players decide these games, not the refs. Those two calls on Hamilton shouldn’t be made in the postseason.

Have the NBC commentators been given a directive not to criticize the officiating? I was really surprised that they agreed with the interference call when Hamilton hit Backes...I thought it was an obvious bad call.

Double-edged sword. You let 'em play, then you end up with crap like the slewfoot of Krug and the crosscheck of Marchand with no call.

Dougie was an idiot. He went over the line twice and paid for it. Let's not make him a martyr.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
You know it is so pathetic that fans of other teams and even broadcasters complain about referees actions dictating the game instead of giving kudos to the team that won. How sickening is the average sports fan.

Reactions: Chief Nine

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't know if this has been discussed, but I'm curious about what would have happened had the empty-net goal rolled wide instead. Coyle had a clear path to the rolling puck, and may have got to it if Aho had not been clearly holding him. I didn't notice if the ref's arm was up (I assume it must have been...) but if that puck had rolled wide of the net, would Coyle have been awarded a penalty shot, or would it be an automatic goal?
Should be an automatic goal, though there was a MN-Avs playoff game in 2013? where the Avs had an empty net trying to tie it up in the dying moments of the game and Coyle was clearly held from behind around center ice with no one between him and the empty net and the refs simply called nothing.

Eric Staal was awarded a goal on such a play a couple of years ago, albeit in a regular season game.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Edmonton 1260 you would swear the Bruins were playing the Edmonton Hurricanes.
They gave credit to Tuukka and that's it.
Rest of every segments throughout the day was how great Carolina was, how well coached, how they expect Murazuk to have a great game 2 and how expect the Canes to win.
Question: who is the leader on the Canes team? Anyone? Stall? Haha. We have at least 5.
All these dimwit on the radio just look at numbers and stats then predict. What a joke!
This is not going 7.

Reactions: RustyBruins72

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Canes fans are a bit cocky.. I kinda chuckled at the post by one of them saying 'they're fine until they lose a home game.'

Don't you normally only say that when you have home ice advantage..

No, you don't, because it doesn't make any sense in that case.
Having to point out that a team is fine likely means they lost a game or two. And if you have home ice advantage and lose eary ... well, then it's a moot statement anyway.

It should simply express that the series isn't over in case the away team trails 0-2 in the series, because they can even it out with their 2 home games.
Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the home team "only" has to win their home games in order to advance.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
No, you don't, because it doesn't make any sense in that case.
Having to point out that a team is fine likely means they lost a game or two. And if you have home ice advantage and lose eary ... well, then it's a moot statement anyway.

It should simply express that the series isn't over in case the away team trails 0-2 in the series, because they can even it out with their 2 home games.
Doesn't have anything to do with the fact that the home team "only" has to win their home games in order to advance.
Ok

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Edmonton 1260 you would swear the Bruins were playing the Edmonton Hurricanes.
They gave credit to Tuukka and that's it.
Rest of every segments throughout the day was how great Carolina was, how well coached, how they expect Murazuk to have a great game 2 and how expect the Canes to win.
Question: who is the leader on the Canes team? Anyone? Stall? Haha. We have at least 5.
All these dimwit on the radio just look at numbers and stats then predict. What a joke!
This is not going 7.
At least they’re talking about the series, lol!

During my long, annoying drive home yesterday, I was listening to 98.5 The Sports Hub, and they were taking calls about the f****** Celtics! Yup. The flagship station of your Boston Bruins.

The sports talk stations here need an enema.

Reactions: BMC and Lady Rhian

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Last night’s game was a perfect demonstration of why I prefer a “let ‘em play” reffing style in the playoffs. Call the clear penalties, but otherwise let the players decide these games, not the refs. Those two calls on Hamilton shouldn’t be made in the postseason.

Have the NBC commentators been given a directive not to criticize the officiating? I was really surprised that they agreed with the interference call when Hamilton hit Backes...I thought it was an obvious bad call.

I dont know how somebody can demand to have a blatant elbow to the head not called. This was 100 % a penalty.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
At least they’re talking about the series, lol!

During my long, annoying drive home yesterday, I was listening to 98.5 The Sports Hub, and they were taking calls about the f****** Celtics! Yup. The flagship station of your Boston Bruins.

The sports talk stations here need an enema.

They do. But who calls in? Red Sox fans. Patriots fans. Celtics fans. The hosts don’t know jack about hockey so you get idiot “hockey fanz” that call in that are as clueless as the hosts.

They’ll talk about badminton or cricket as long as they get ratings from arguing with dopey callers

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
After all I have suffered having to listen to these biased ****s on CBC, I don't ever want to here someone call Jack a Homer again. These two sound like homers and it's not even their team FFS.

These guys are seriously ruining the PO's for me.
If it bothers you so much, mute the damn thing.
Save yourself from insanity.

nORRis8

Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I dont know how somebody can demand to have a blatant elbow to the head not called. This was 100 % a penalty.
Or the slewfoot on Krug.
Crosscheck on Chara.
HighsticK in the face on Pasta
Crosscheck on Marchand on a line change
Obviously running Tuukka

That "letting them play" phrase is bs.
They are allowed to play dirty.
The phrase should be changed to "they, the refs, are not doing their job"
Then just leave. Get off the ice.

Then a puck is flipped over the glass and there's a 2 minute penalty.
Cue eye roll.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Lots of discussion about the referees. I have said this before, the referees are spoiling all 4 major sports, MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL. It is hard to accept that a ref can be right there and miss a call. Sometimes I wonder if the league wants a certain team to win so they control the outcome with the referees. It is a shame that after a game, regardless of the league, the fans are discussing the poor quality of referring in a game, not one incident but multi situations.

However, regardless of the referring in last night's game, the Bruins won. That's what is important to me.

Lets Go Bruins

I think officiating the NHL is by far the hardest. It’s the only league where players are allowed to carry weapons. It has by far the fastest pace. It’s the only sport where the officials are in the “field” of play except for the 2nd base ump and 2 officials in the NFL (and they moved one).

The biggest thing though is that every penalty has such a major impact on the game. You’re basically giving a team a 20-25% of scoring. And realistically you could call a penalty on every play, especially in the playoffs.

I don’t pretend to have a solution, but I do think taking a long hard look at it is something they are going to have to do at some point.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Or the slewfoot on Krug.
Crosscheck on Chara.
Obviously running Tuukka

Cue eye roll.

You can also add that Kuraly was the only one to get a penalty when clearly both deserved to get one. The cherry on the top was that the Canes scored on the ensuing powerplay. Canes got screwd from the refs my ass. Both teams got their fair chare of non/bullshit calls.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
A "lock" in a NHL playoff series is rare

I was thinking B's in 6 or 7 before this series started, and it could be a long battle yet

Carolina didn't get this far for nothing
Carolina is built around counterattack hockey. That can definitely work, but it's dependent on the defense being solid. you have to win battles in the defensive zone and create breakaway opportunities.

What happens though when you start not winning those battles on your ice?

You go from 2-1 up to 3-2 down in less than 5 minutes, that's what.

The Canes are going to face a 4 line attack. Other than the first line, none of the lines are going to dominate the scoreboard but all of them are good at putting pressure on the defense and making the goaltender make saves to keep them off the board.

And the Carolina defense is built around exploiting a won battle in the defensive zone -- much more so than actually WINNING those battles. When they do win, they have a good chance at a quality scoring opportunity, but Boston is one of the better teams in the NHL at the puck possession game, the Canes are going to have to play very hard to win those battles against that team.

I think the Bruins are a very, very bad matchup for what the Canes are trying to do on the ice. If Rask stays hot, this could be a 5 game series.

nORRis8

Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
You can also add that Kuraly was the only one to get a penalty when clearly both deserved to get one. The cherry on the top was that the Canes scored on the ensuing powerplay. Canes got screwd from the refs my ass. Both teams got their fair chare of non/bull**** calls.

Yup
And speaking of Kuraly....wow.
Where is his confidence level at right now? Incredibly composed with the puck. This dude get better every game.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Or the slewfoot on Krug.
Crosscheck on Chara.
Obviously running Tuukka

Cue eye roll.
It would be great if the refs were held accountable after games and made to answer questions from the media. I think we would then be able to hear the logic (however faulty) and see the defense mechanisms from officials in why they are so "poor" at their jobs. They are not involved in calling a fair game. What they do in the playoffs is pure and simple game management. Yes, they to some degree are incompetent, however they are not so incompetent that they are failing to see clear penalty after clear penalty on one team and ignoring them, then calling the first soft penalty they can on the other team. That's not incompetence at all, that's game management. Some degree of transparency and accountability would be nice. I know it won't happen because the league loves its "parity," and knows it's bad for business to have too many blowouts and dominant teams. The refs are a useful tool. The cool thing, though, is it all works. The fans for the most part are entertained and keep coming back for more, the league makes money, the players are well compensated, and most people complain a little but move on past the shenanigans. The circus lives to see another year and remains the greatest show on earth. Perhaps there's nothing wrong with any of that. Ignorance is bliss.

nORRis8

Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
It would be great if the refs were held accountable after games and made to answer questions from the media. I think we would then be able to hear the logic (however faulty) and see the defense mechanisms from officials in why they are so "poor" at their jobs. They are not involved in calling a fair game. What they do in the playoffs is pure and simple game management. Yes, they to some degree are incompetent, however they are not so incompetent that they are failing to see clear penalty after clear penalty on one team and ignoring them, then calling the first soft penalty they can on the other team. That's not incompetence at all, that's game management. Some degree of transparency and accountability would be nice. I know it won't happen because the league loves its "parity," and knows it's bad for business to have too many blowouts and dominant teams. The refs are a useful tool. The cool thing, though, is it all works. The fans for the most part are entertained and keep coming back for more, the league makes money, the players are well compensated, and most people complain a little but move on. The circus lives to see another year and remains the greatest show on earth. Perhaps there's nothing wrong with any of that. Ignorance is bliss.

Great post.
We all lived thru the one ref days and thought ...man, a sport that moves this fast needs a 2nd ref.. then nothing, I MEAN NOTHING will be missed.

How wrong were we.
Enter the agenda.

The 1st game started off right away with such an obvious slewfoot on Krug which was not called. I thought...uh oh , who the frig knows how this game will officiated.

The stupidity of this league and how it imposes penalties blows me away.

I remember possibly 8 years ago a playoff game Habs vs Tampa...Lecavalier standing front of the net with Subban doing his usual flailing of arms, crosschecking, holding then finally slashing Vinny as he tries to come in front of the net.
Vinny turns around and gives Subban a 2 hander and gets 2 minutes.

The refs ignored a full minute of Subban interfering then slashing Vinny, but when Vinny retaliates. ...TWEET!!!!

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Great post.
We all lived thru the one ref days and thought ...man, a sport that moves this fast needs a 2nd ref.. then nothing, I MEAN NOTHING will be missed.

How wrong were we.
Enter the agenda.

The 1st game started off right away with such an obvious slewfoot on Krug which was not called. I thought...uh oh , who the frig knows how this game will officiated.

The stupidity of this league and how it imposes penalties blows me away.

I remember possibly 8 years ago a playoff game Habs vs Tampa...Lecavalier standing front of the net with Subban doing his usual flailing of arms, crosschecking, holding then finally slashing Vinny as he tries to come in front of the net.
Vinny turns around and gives Subban a 2 hander and gets 2 minutes.

The refs ignored a full minute of Subban interfering then slashing Vinny, but when Vinny retaliates. ...TWEET!!!!

This is why being a referee is a tough game. Thought that sequence was well done by the referee. Big battle between two players and the slashing call... only thing Subban and embellishment ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->