Eating crow

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Thought it might be worth carving out a little space in here for the things we were wrong about and surprised by. No patting yourself on the back or beating your chest. This is a thread for humility.

I really thought this team would struggle to find its identity and spine without Chara and Krug. Thought their absence would be felt on the PP and PK too.

The character kids have filled the gaps in a major way. Frederic addressed two long standing thorns in this team’s side - clowning Subban and defusing Wilson. Clifton, Ritchie, Lauzon have added more bite than this clubs had in years and Zboril’s replaced krug’s 5v5 play. Ritchie has given them a whole new dimension on the PP that runs though the crease rather than along krug’s blue line.

Some guys have been great, as expected, but I really didn’t think the kids would take over the character roles so quickly and drive the game the way they have.

...pass the salt and pepper this meal’s delicious

its good to admit when we were untrue or unfaithful to our beloved... assuming we were

but these exercises seem a good time to champion my own philosophy... show some damn support in the first place

i mean ive definitely been betrayed and let down by those i have given my trust to in the past. its bigger than just my choice of which hockey team i support. everything from politics to religion to the spouse we marry and family we live with will require us to show some degree of a blind trust.

the consquences of being wrong when we put our faith into a hockey team is far less grave than these other matters. if we rah rah cheer cheer the bruins or one of their kids... and heavan forbid we get let down... then what the hell? get mad then if you need to.

i feel we spend far too little time looking for things to be happy about our team here. it seems uncool to be the guy that finds the little positives in a loss. maybe we are just spoiled by success but our band wagon is only half full while we are running along in first place.

we rip our team apart for not winning a cup... but then what other team holds up to the standards we are demanding? is it the team itself that fails us, or our own ridiculous standards we insist upon?

the team can come back to win in 4 consequtive 3rd period games... and yet heaven forbid we fall behind on the first goal next game.

honestly, i do realize it is a human condition that some people are simply negative. some people do build themselves up by ripping others down. its a thing. for those people... then ok... whatever... do what you need to do... come here and crap on your heros is you wish.

eat some crow even

but i will continue to risk being labled a pollyanna with my rose colored glasses. i will risk being mocked if i predict we win the cup this year and instead we are one of the 30 teams that falls short. i will turn every single game on this year predicting and expecting a win... and if we lose it will cloud my mood but i will simply feel that we will win the next game and that would put the smile back on my face

i definitely expect to smile way more often than i would need to frown when i put my support being the b's.

honestly i couldnt devote the passion and energy to cheer for a team that let me down more than lifted me up... but in 50 years as a fan that has never been a worry with the bruins. the model of high level success this team has shown in my lifetime is number 1 in the entire nhl

crow tastes like crap... avoid it... B come Positive. Show our boys we have been paying attention to some amazing good effort and results the past few years. Our team deserves the best fan base in the nhl because frankly its the best team in the nhl to cheer for.

go bruins go

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I was a little different with the Miller signing. I thought his career was over but I liked the signing because it was a show of grace by the management team towards a guy who busted his ass to try and prove he could still come back. But I thought by the end of camp, he would hang em up or re-injure the knee and be forced to call it quits. Dead wrong. Go get 'em,Killer.

when i expected chara to come back... i was still ok with the miller signing but i admit i had him pegged for an ahl run. it seemed a very no risk situation for me though. miller is character. having a character nhl stud like miller down in the ahl showing those kids how to be pros would have been outstanding. and then at playoff time when the rosters expand, having a guy like miller added for a run at the cup would have been outstanding too.

i didnt forsee chara not signing... i didnt forsee a spot in the lineup opening for miller... but as a smart no risk/good return signing i dont really understand how anyone had a huge problem with this.

if a guy is injured... theres always ltir

Reactions: nORRis8

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I was just about to eat crow on the other side as well.

Jake DeBrusk....what the f***?

it might be time to face reality on mr debrusk. obviously the kid has talent. and obviously the kid puts up decent results for a second/third liner. his production does measure up well to most teams options in his spot

however... when we expect this kid to dial in... become a consistent needle mover... become a positive advantage over whoever the other team is dressing in his spot... then we probably are going to be disappointed at this point

debrusk fills a sweater adequately. he will have his moments of sunshine where he gets noticed. as long as his cap cost remains approrpriate, then he is a nice depth piece. hes going to surprise us sometimes being the hero we dont expect... but if our eyes go looking for him too often we will just make ourselves feel upset at the letdown.

personally... the way i see the depth chart... i think debrusk could easily be a trade chip now. i think he still has just enough potential that someone out there might overpay. i dont think his level of contribution at near 4 million is more than double what we would be getting from an elc guy at 1/4 the cost.

arizona is a city that jakes father played some for... maybe jake could be one of the big pieces needed to go after oliver ekman larsson

Reactions: GordonHowe

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Even playing well, Has Miller been $2M good? I don’t think so personally. Then have to consider what the market looked like in this COVID offseason

I think he's been $2m good. He's playing some hard minutes, 3rd on the team in PK TOI, 3rd on the team in defensive zone starts. He's playing more than a 3rd pair D (18:35 overall), and I'd say he's been better than your average 3rd pair D.

I also think he's been a critical component to Zboril's development. Having a calm, competent, experienced partner who is constantly pushing you to be ready, be professional, be competitive... has mattered.

The leadership component, on a defense so young, adds value. I think he'd be earning his money, even if he were making $2.5m.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
it might be time to face reality on mr debrusk. obviously the kid has talent. and obviously the kid puts up decent results for a second/third liner. his production does measure up well to most teams options in his spot

however... when we expect this kid to dial in... become a consistent needle mover... become a positive advantage over whoever the other team is dressing in his spot... then we probably are going to be disappointed at this point

debrusk fills a sweater adequately. he will have his moments of sunshine where he gets noticed. as long as his cap cost remains approrpriate, then he is a nice depth piece. hes going to surprise us sometimes being the hero we dont expect... but if our eyes go looking for him too often we will just make ourselves feel upset at the letdown.

personally... the way i see the depth chart... i think debrusk could easily be a trade chip now. i think he still has just enough potential that someone out there might overpay. i dont think his level of contribution at near 4 million is more than double what we would be getting from an elc guy at 1/4 the cost.

arizona is a city that jakes father played some for... maybe jake could be one of the big pieces needed to go after oliver ekman larsson
I still have some faith in DeBrusk, but if we’re going negative too I was wrong on Moore. Thought he’d be a reliable 2nd/3rd pair guy who’d help the roster by providing some stability. Obviously can’t predict injuries and he sounds like a stand up guy, but he just hasn’t turned out to be what I thought was coming to the club.

Reactions: JOKER 192

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Also, I love Zboril, but he has been questionable in several games. And I don't like him with Miller, even in their exceptionally sheltered role.

I think Zboril has definitely started to show some holes more recently. Which has to be expected considering he was massively outplaying any expectation one could have for an NHL player (minus a high first rounder) with virtually no NHL experience

Reactions: JOKER 192

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
i still try to have faith in moore... i look at his skill set and the guy has skills... i look at his tool box and the guy has the right tools... i look at his track record and he has a track record. his birthday doesnt have too many candles

its preplexing to me. obviously the teams talent evaluators felt good enough to long term deal this guy... there had to be something there that they liked

is this a case of a guy having some off ice issues that have derailed him? does he seretly have one of those medical issues that is sapping his strength behind the scenes? did he simply become a fat cat with the contract and stop giving a damn?

im not a smart enough scout to really see where he breaks down during play. he has looked adquate to me when hes played. i definitely thought we were getting a very nicely paid puck mover second pair guy when we signed him... so i suppose i have to be a little disappointed in how things have gone

but hes still signed for a few more years... hes still young... this is a perfect case where we can either write this guy off as total crap or hope theres some secret explanation that hasnt yet revealed itself. maybe moore will still make some sort of positive contribution to the team?

{im wondering... trade moore to nyr for deangelo... give that kid a try with a good organization... and if that guy flunks out do the small buyout of his contract at the end of the season. we potentially get ourselves a top flight pp qb we need for a playoff run...
rangers might not view moore as someone that can play.. but they might feel like i do and still have some faith in him}

I was fairly satisfied with Moore initially as he was playing regularly, but he doesn’t seem to be able to keep his form as a guy moving in and out of the lineup.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
As for the crow, I agree that 10 games is too early, but so far...

Ritchie has been much better than I expected.
I thought both Kase and DeBrusk would get off to good starts.
I thought Studnicka would look more NHL ready.
Zboril has been much better than I expected.
I thought the PK would struggle without Chara but it's been excellent so far.
I thought the young defense would take longer to adjust but they've been good overall and great of late.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The knock on him was that he never dedicated himself to get in shape. So I honestly thought he was a guy that was squandering his talent and opportunity because he was lazy. He clearly lost some weight and worked on his skating since last year because he's much quicker and it's paid off so far. I have no issues eating crow on that because he did it and again, good for him. And really, good for the team.
Yeah , there have been a few times this year when I was saying to myself that can’t be Ritchie who just carried the puck up over the blue line . He’s never going to be a burner but he’s quick enough now to be part of the play . I think he’s always had good hands and hockey sense but he is much improved as a hockey player .

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I’ll go back a couple seasons. I was very against trading Donato for Coyle. That trade was awesome even despite Coyle not playing well yet this season.
Me too. I thought they were giving up too quality of a prospect for what Coyle was. I was dead wrong about both.

Reactions: BMC

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Me too. I thought they were giving up too quality of a prospect for what Coyle was. I was dead wrong about both.

jury is still out on coyle... hes a guy who early history was marred by inconsistency. everyone always knew he had the raw goods to put in some very impressive stretches of hockey

and we saw him impress us here too

but now dude has a long term high paid contract... and that can be a scary thing for guys who take nights off... coast half speed... under deliever performance...

lets at the very least hope he goes into beast mode in the big important games and keeps the scorecard in his favor and we continue to feel we won the trade... i think theres a definite danger that simply due to that contract for a 3rd liner... hes going to find himself in our dog house down the road

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I think he's been $2m good. He's playing some hard minutes, 3rd on the team in PK TOI, 3rd on the team in defensive zone starts. He's playing more than a 3rd pair D (18:35 overall), and I'd say he's been better than your average 3rd pair D.

I also think he's been a critical component to Zboril's development. Having a calm, competent, experienced partner who is constantly pushing you to be ready, be professional, be competitive... has mattered.

The leadership component, on a defense so young, adds value. I think he'd be earning his money, even if he were making $2.5m.

Miller has gone beyond what I expected already

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Thought it might be worth carving out a little space in here for the things we were wrong about and surprised by. No patting yourself on the back or beating your chest. This is a thread for humility.

I really thought this team would struggle to find its identity and spine without Chara and Krug. Thought their absence would be felt on the PP and PK too.

The character kids have filled the gaps in a major way. Frederic addressed two long standing thorns in this team’s side - clowning Subban and defusing Wilson. Clifton, Ritchie, Lauzon have added more bite than this clubs had in years and Zboril’s replaced krug’s 5v5 play. Ritchie has given them a whole new dimension on the PP that runs though the crease rather than along krug’s blue line.

Some guys have been great, as expected, but I really didn’t think the kids would take over the character roles so quickly and drive the game the way they have.

...pass the salt and pepper this meal’s delicious

It's still early, but I'll eat a bit of humble pie as well.

I give Nick Ritchie genuine credit for contributing in a substantial way, and hope he continues to do so.

Kevan Miller: I thought he was well past done on two bad knees, a separated shoulder, etc. Thus far, he's proved me wrong. I don't think he should fight because of the latter injury, but evidently he can be a useful, difficult opponent to ice, and I congratulate him.

Jeremy Lauzon: Never disliked him and pleased at his progress. Hope he continues to lower the boom.

Jakub Zboril: Other than Ritchie, this is the real surprise. Selected in the infamous 2015 draft, I gathered at the time that he was not especially physical, which he isn't, but also somewhat disinterested.

Again, it's early, but he appears to be fitting in nicely at the NHL level, solidly, unspectacularly. That's fine with me.

So, a bit of crow for me.

Now someone explain to me what, precisely, is "Cliffy Hockey"?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

';=

Agree. He is consistantly inconsistant and therefore of little use. He may score, when he's hot. However, if you can't depend on him, what good is he? I hoped the B's would trade him, and still hope they do.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I was very concerned about the defense but so far it has been stellar. Nick Ritchie's performance was/is unexpected.

Pass the ketchup, please

Thrilled that we rolled the dice and let Chara go plus happy he found a new home.
Happy Krug left as he was horrible in the playoffs plus he wanted to leave. Glad he left. (Twerp)

Could not see how with them gone would affect our GA.
So I'm good there.

However a few games in I didn't like how we were pushed around and I exclaimed "we are not a playoff team!"
Then Frederic upt his physical play and it trickled to the rest of the guys. Not extensively, but better.

The "we are not a playoff team" may get me some crow nuggets yet. If so....good!

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad