Eating crow

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
IDK that I'd say it's eating crow, but I was quick to get on Ritchie, but after thinking about it it made no sense why. Not sure if it was something I read here or heard online, but one thing with Ritchie I didn't think about was his standard of play. By that I mean what the "acceptable standard" is for a team in ANH where they've struggled vs Boston where they are contenders is two different things. What is considered game speed w/ ANH is probably significantly different than BOS. When Ritchie came here last year he wasn't Boston game ready and it showed. The pandemic comes in and then he looks awful in the playoffs. Kind of unfair to hold it against him (which is where I was wrong).

I think he's looked a lot better this year, but I will still say I want to see more 5v5 production from him. He's started to trend in the right direction with Smith on the other wing, so I'm hoping it continues. If he can give you 13G/17A this year that would be a 20G/25A season over 82 games and I'd take that all day. Right now he's playing at a 30G/37A pace in 82 games which are crazy numbers, but would be a huge season for him and this team.
It absolutely is, and you're not alone. I thought all offseason that he'd be on the team only because he sucked less than Senyshyn, Blidh, etc. It's still early, but I've been very encouraged by his play. Perhaps he is just a late bloomer? He was seen a consensus top 8-10 pick in a draft for a reason, so he had to have had some skill.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I didn't have any faith in Miller's comeback or Ritchie being able to contribute...so pass me a wing

..but I did feel the young defensemen would be ok with Chara and Krug gone, so I get to use some hot sauce on my wing

Reactions: hrdpuk and LSCII

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Lol yup. Was talking to my old man earlier and I said the Chiefs were gonna win and he was like na dude its Tom Brady and a big game, not picking against him
'
Right. I'm presently living in Denver. Work at a large liquor store. Before the Green Bay game, I spoke with a manager from Wisconsin, and a former Denver Broncos legend, Haven Moses.

I said, "Never bet against Tom Brady." They both chimed in, "I would."

Well, I didn't predict a TB win, but I wasn't surprised.

The guy is, literally, unbelievable. Think about where he was after last season. Think about where the Bucs have been for thirteen seasons. Nuts.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I’d like to eat a little crow on starting this thread - team seems real lost the last couple and Chara/Krug type leadership would have gone a long way

member 96824

tenor.gif

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Thought the loss of Chara would hurt us on the PK. Nope.
Thought the loss of Krug would hurt us on the PP. Nope.
Thought the young D would take time to fit. Nope.
Thought Miller would come in and get hurt again for the season. So far, Nope.
Thought Ritchie would struggle again this season. Nope.
Thought the Marchand and Pastrnak injuries would take longer and hurt us in the standings. Nope.
Thought Zboril would barely be able to keep a spot and would switch with Vaak every few games. Nope.
Thought Frederick would not earn a spot on the team this year. Nope.
Thought the Bruins would be fighting in the middle of the division for a playoff spot. Nope.

Is crow high in fat or cholesterol? If so, I might be in trouble.

When you hate being right...

Reactions: LSCII

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Probably going to wind up eating some crow on Coyle and Smith - I thought they'd be a dominant pairing on the third line but they aren't exactly lighting it up... also thought DeBrusk would take a step forward this year lol. Also didn't expect to be waiting for Kase's first goal as a Bruin over a year after he was acquired.

Maybe I, much like Don Sweeney and the Bruins brass, am incapable of evaluating forward talent. They should give me a job.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I’m going back to my original crow - the team’s problems aren’t the lack of veteran defensemen (he’ll they shut down opponents with Jared Tinordi getting big minutes). Thought they’d miss Z and Krug.

The struggle comes from only 1/3 of their secondary scoring plan working out (Ritchie, Kase, and Smith). If two of those three came through it’d be a whole different story IMO. Couple that with Debrusk’s nightmare year and Krejci’s injury and it’s no wonder they’re putting up just a goal a game of late.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I had big hopes for Craig Smith but I'm afraid he is turning into yet another post age 30 signing so some crow may be on my menu soon.

He's playing as advertised and how I remember him playing for Nashville but he's definitely in a scoring slump. He doesn't look to me like he is a post-30 skill drop off case at this point. He does need to get going and find the back of the net, though.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Oh Number8 has eaten a lot of crow over the years. After a while I kind of enjoy it. Gamey and tart. Nice.

Reactions: LSCII and BMC

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
He's playing as advertised and how I remember him playing for Nashville but he's definitely in a scoring slump. He doesn't look to me like he is a post-30 skill drop off case at this point. He does need to get going and find the back of the net, though.

Why is it everyone who comes here, ends up in a scoring slump?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Why is it everyone who comes here, ends up in a scoring slump?

I don't know- do they, though? I thought Mojo played to his normal standard, and so did Nash till he got cranked. Ritchie is on a better than average point pace right now.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I don't know- do they, though? I thought Mojo played to his normal standard, and so did Nash till he got cranked. Ritchie is on a better than average point pace right now.

It was sarcasm, but has anyone actually come here and scored more? Can't think of anyone off the top of my head..although I'm sure it's happened.

The problem is, they haven't acquired someone who is a legit scorer (top 6) it's mostly 3rd liners who have a little offense..

Reactions: duffy

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It was sarcasm, but has anyone actually come here and scored more? Can't think of anyone off the top of my head..although I'm sure it's happened.

The problem is, they haven't acquired someone who is a legit scorer (top 6) it's mostly 3rd liners who have a little offense..

Yeah I got you- I thought maybe but wasn't sure. And I also can't think of anyone that came here and actually elevated their game, at least not in recent years. Hayes, Backes, Beleskey, Stempniak, Stafford, Nash, Kase, Liles ugh.

I guess we could say Nick Ritchie (but not after he first got here), and I remember Coyle struggled out of the gate too. What the hell is going on here???

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Yeah I got you- I thought maybe but wasn't sure. And I also can't think of anyone that came here and actually elevated their game, at least not in recent years. Hayes, Backes, Beleskey, Stempniak, Stafford, Nash, Kase, Liles ugh.

I guess we could say Nick Ritchie (but not after he first got here), and I remember Coyle struggled out of the gate too. What the hell is going on here???

I think Don just needs to aim a little higher. Finding a diamond in the rough would be great, but how often does that happen?

Feels like the inability to 'go for it' has cost them at least one cup..

Reactions: Dr Hook

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I’d like to eat a little crow on starting this thread - team seems real lost the last couple and Chara/Krug type leadership would have gone a long way
B's need goalscoring and neither of those guys provide that! I'm glad their both gone and DS went with youth on the D. Wish he'd do the same up front.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
i wanted to move out some aging vets at the deadline get a 3rd for Kuraly, 4th for Wags kind of moves. I didn't think this team was going to go anywhere in the playoffs (still wouldn't be surprised to see them bounced in the 1st round) but i can see them making noise if they can stay healthy.

Didn't want Hall, but for a 2nd in what is going to be a real crap-shoot of a draft i'm 100% okay with that.

So i'll take a plate of crow for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad