Eating crow

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Basically all my posts from last Thursday through Sunday night were like "this team can't do anything to compete this year, Don shouldn't waste assets buying rentals." Though in fairness he didn't give up anything other than a 2nd and future 3rd.

Also, any time since free agency opened when I called Taylor Hall a small market uncompetitive loser who only wants to take the easy way out by signing in Buffalo and how I'd never want him here. That's crow I'll be happy to eat.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Basically all my posts from last Thursday through Sunday night were like "this team can't do anything to compete this year, Don shouldn't waste assets buying rentals." Though in fairness he didn't give up anything other than a 2nd and future 3rd.

Also, any time since free agency opened when I called Taylor Hall a small market uncompetitive loser who only wants to take the easy way out by signing in Buffalo and how I'd never want him here. That's crow I'll be happy to eat.

Still a big gap between TB and Boston.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If this is indeed krejcis last year I’m happy he gets to end it with Hall. It feels like a new lease in life watching now with some hope for the 2nd line instead of stressing about the impending collapse

Reactions: sarge88

member 96824

Guys....it's been two games. A shootout win against Buffalo and a phenomenal win last night, but one where the Islanders played some of the sloppiest hockey I've ever seen, including 5 minor penalties, to bring us our first win of the year against them.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, I feel fantastic about this team, much better than I did a couple of weeks ago, but lordy...let's give the boys some room to breathe before planning cup parades, victory laps, and handing out plates of crow holy cow.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Guys....it's been two games. A shootout win against Buffalo and a phenomenal win last night, but one where the Islanders played some of the sloppiest hockey I've ever seen, including 5 minor penalties, to bring us our first win of the year against them.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, I feel fantastic about this team, much better than I did a couple of weeks ago, but lordy...let's give the boys some room to breathe before planning cup parades, victory laps, and handing out plates of crow holy cow.
I’m eating cheeseburgers in honor of Curtis Lazar

no crow for me

member 96824

I’m eating cheeseburgers in honor of Curtis Lazar

no crow for me

Kid looks unreal out there so far. Fingers crossed it's not just that new love, first month of dating energy!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: DKH

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

And if Kuraly didn't get away with at least 3 blatant penalties, this could have been a different game too.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

You think folks would have learned from their "Zboril is the greatest" posts two weeks into the season. You know... From this very thread.

Still, I held the opinion that Sweeney needed to add pretty much precisely what he did at the deadline in order to be a contender. Nothing has happened so far to betray that belief.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

That's fair - I'll keep yours under the heat lamp though for when you're ready.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I don't know how the run for the playoffs or the playoffs if we get there will work out.

Regardless, I think Donny handled this TDL exceptionally well and gave our guys (core) a chance while basically holding onto most of our prized assets. He also added appreciably to our roster without adding to our Seattle draft woes too much.

And I was hard on him prior to the TDL - and rightly so, I think.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Fair enough --- but at least they are "in the mix" now. Who knows what will happen in the next 2 months or so, but I feel a lot better about their chances today than a week ago.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

member 96824

Fair enough --- but at least they are "in the mix" now. Who knows what will happen in the next 2 months or so, but I feel a lot better about their chances today than a week ago.

Same. 100x better. A week ago they didn't have a path in my view. Now they have a path. It's still a heavily dependent path...but it's a path.

That's fair - I'll keep yours under the heat lamp though for when you're ready.

No thanks, I can handle raising my hand and saying "I was wrong" just fine.

Reactions: sarge88 and DKH

member 96824

You think folks would have learned from their "Zboril is the greatest" posts two weeks into the season. You know... From this very thread.

Still, I held the opinion that Sweeney needed to add pretty much precisely what he did at the deadline in order to be a contender. Nothing has happened so far to betray that belief.

My old boss used to tell me "the highs are never as high and the lows are never as low as they all may seem in the moment"

I tell ya what though, from our deadline conversation....I don't know if it was just cause there were 10 minutes of PP time last night or what, but Reilly looked the part. If he fills that top 4 spot and isn't just an elite 3rd pair option like I wrote him off to be, that'll be something I definitely have to own that I was wrong on and you nailed..Might be Sweeney's Dennis Seidenberg move...But you're going to have to be patient before you get that, not happening after 6 periods of hockey. That's how you end up eating crow twice :laugh:

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don't know how the run for the playoffs or the playoffs if we get there will work out.

Regardless, I think Donny handled this TDL exceptionally well and gave our guys (core) a chance while basically holding onto most of our prized assets. He also added appreciably to our roster without adding to our Seattle draft woes too much.

And I was hard on him prior to the TDL - and rightly so, I think.
This is how I feel.

Still skeptical on rentals, but all things considered, he didn't pay that much, and improved the roster... and all 3 adds have potential to re-sign (pre/post expansion), so hopefully that helps off-set any of the assets going out the door.

Definitely hard on Sweeney / team overall, but the moves definitely for the first time in a while have given me hope with this team.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad