Eastside Hockey Manager - Part X Patch 1.5 Edition! (April 22nd Open Beta)

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Can anyone confirm if Robertson and Hintz got buffed with the latest roster update?

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Re: the EHM Assistant 1.5 talk, I was playing around with reading saved games through RAM as the original creator had suggested, but I was having trouble accessing anything particularly useful (e.g. player info, team info, and so on). I may pick this up again when I have some spare time but it would be a while before I have anything even slightly usable, let alone as good as the original EHM Assistant. Hopefully someone else out there has made a bit more progress.

Looks like garfild uploaded an updated version of the EHM Assistant today so no need for me to keep investigating: MediaFire

It's the same folder he'd upload to when sharing previous versions of the app, so hopefully it's okay to share this with everyone? :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So I simmed one season up through the end of the season (I am not controlling a team), and there was only 6 trades at the deadline, the most significant of which was Derick Brassard for a 1st, 2nd and prospect. Also Jake McCabe for Ryan McLeod and a 3rd. Jesse Puljujarvi was traded during the season. But other than that, not a lot happening. Is there some settings that affect that, or is that a function of the salary cap.

There was also a number of players who were just getting released, some of which teams had just signed.

In other leagues, looks like Kunlun Red Star went nuts signing players so that they don't have any Chinese players, did the KHL change a rule on that?

World Junior box scores also aren't coming up unless I missed doing something.

Edit: I never tried this, so I only noticed now, the NCAA tounament is strange, but I guess the game can't do a tournament the way they do it.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So I simmed one season up through the end of the season (I am not controlling a team), and there was only 6 trades at the deadline, the most significant of which was Derick Brassard for a 1st, 2nd and prospect. Also Jake McCabe for Ryan McLeod and a 3rd. Jesse Puljujarvi was traded during the season. But other than that, not a lot happening. Is there some settings that affect that, or is that a function of the salary cap.

There was also a number of players who were just getting released, some of which teams had just signed.

In other leagues, looks like Kunlun Red Star went nuts signing players so that they don't have any Chinese players, did the KHL change a rule on that?

World Junior box scores also aren't coming up unless I missed doing something.

Edit: I never tried this, so I only noticed now, the NCAA tounament is strange, but I guess the game can't do a tournament the way they do it.

In my save there was (not including mine):
1 trade in November
4 trades in December
7 trades in February
10 trades in June around the draft
4 trades in July

9 trades in November
4 trades in December
3 trades in January
5 trades in February
5 trades in June around the draft
2 trades in July

1 trade in November as of November 28th 2022

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I know when I bump the cap up in the NHL, a side effect is that there are less trades because the CPU teams are less inclined to be forced to make deals for financial reasons.

But I keep the cap bumped up anyways because it's been the only way to prevent the computer AI from acting totally stupid with cutting, waiving or non-tendering/releasing good players. I'm not sure how @xECK29x handles the TBL and Pivot rosters though. For me the less frequent trades are the lesser of two evils.

The Frozen Four for the NCAA was created that way because a club limit crash bug kept the NCAA from being able to be one league and the way the tourney is currently setup is the closest proximation to an NCAA championship as there has been able to be. Now with 1.5 it sounds like we can create leagues with more clubs so perhaps a single NCAA league system with more fully-fledged playoff can be created.

Reactions: xECK29x

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I know when I bump the cap up in the NHL, a side effect is that there are less trades because the CPU teams are less inclined to be forced to make deals for financial reasons.

But I keep the cap bumped up anyways because it's been the only way to prevent the computer AI from acting totally stupid with cutting, waiving or non-tendering/releasing good players. I'm not sure how @xECK29x handles the TBL and Pivot rosters though. For me the less frequent trades are the lesser of two evils.

The Frozen Four for the NCAA was created that way because a club limit crash bug kept the NCAA from being able to be one league and the way the tourney is currently setup is the closest proximation to an NCAA championship as there has been able to be. Now with 1.5 it sounds like we can create leagues with more clubs so perhaps a single NCAA league system with more fully-fledged playoff can be created.
Whose gonna be the first to make a 100-team nhl database

Reactions: BKarchitect

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

Yup that's the plan I have too, making NCAA as a "league" (also planning to do DIII also). Happy to collaborate on that as I know college leagues are your thing :).

Reactions: BKarchitect

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So I'm up to the Olympics, and looks like the NHL schedule didn't give enough time off for it, because some games were scheduled after the tournament started, and re-started the day of the Gold Medal Game. The regular season ends April 4, 2022 and the playoffs don't start until April 13.

Also, the trade deadline is during the tournament. Seems a lot more happened in January than February. Aube-Kubel traded for a 2nd and 3rd in January.
Calle Jarnkrok traded a 1st, 2 prospects and a 5th.
Adam Erne (wtf?) traded for Riikola, 2nd and 5th?

At the actual deadline, biggest names to move were Zach Aston-Reese, Trent Fredric (Bruins and Penguins made 2 separate trades with each other), Rocco Grimaldi, Casey Cizikas (who is in the minors), Tyler Pitlick for Connor Timmins, Jace Hawryluk for Frank Vatrano, and Brayden Tracy - who Anaheim drafted round 1 in 2019 then signed and released, ended up in Dallas and traded to the Flyers.

So there seems to be an issue with guys getting released for no reason that shouldn't. And also sellers being sellers although that's always been an issue with the game.

Vinni Letteri is also on his 6th different team since September thanks to waivers, but there is barely any waivers action in general.

Beef Cake

Aug 10, 2016
So I'm up to the Olympics, and looks like the NHL schedule didn't give enough time off for it, because some games were scheduled after the tournament started, and re-started the day of the Gold Medal Game. The regular season ends April 4, 2022 and the playoffs don't start until April 13.

Also, the trade deadline is during the tournament. Seems a lot more happened in January than February. Aube-Kubel traded for a 2nd and 3rd in January.

At the actual deadline, biggest names to move were Zach Aston-Reese, Trent Fredric (Bruins and Penguins made 2 separate trades with each other), Rocco Grimaldi, Casey Cizikas (who is in the minors), Tyler Pitlick for Connor Timmins, Jace Hawryluk for Frank Vatrano, and Brayden Tracy - who Anaheim drafted round 1 in 2019 then signed and released, ended up in Dallas and traded to the Flyers.

So there seems to be an issue with guys getting released for no reason that shouldn't. And also sellers being sellers although that's always been an issue with the game.

Vinni Letteri is also on his 6th different team since September thanks to waivers, but there is barely any waivers action in general.

Did you post any of this on SI?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Did you post any of this on SI?
No, I don't have an account there. If anyone wants to relay the information, feel free.

Although, it did adjust the regular season, so it didn't end on April 4.

Beef Cake

Aug 10, 2016
BKarchitect

20210429200202-1.jpg

20210429200206-1.jpg

20210429200207-1.jpg

20210429200211-1.jpg

20210429200214-1.jpg

20210429200215-1.jpg

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

The trade stuff is the game itself, we know the trade AI needs to be enhanced more, it was improved in 1.5 but still needs work. Please share your experiences on the SI bug forum: Eastside Hockey Manager Bugs Forum

Please also update your save after the TDL.

The scheduling issue with the Olympics I can look into, if you can PM me your email address I can give you a place to upload the save, I'd like to look at how the scheduling worked and I can move the dates around in the DB. Being I have shifted my work to focusing on 2021-22 now is a good time to look into that as it is an Olympic year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The trade stuff is the game itself, we know the trade AI needs to be enhanced more, it was improved in 1.5 but still needs work. Please share your experiences on the SI bug forum: Eastside Hockey Manager Bugs Forum

Please also update your save after the TDL.

The scheduling issue with the Olympics I can look into, if you can PM me your email address I can give you a place to upload the save, I'd like to look at how the scheduling worked and I can move the dates around in the DB. Being I have shifted my work to focusing on 2021-22 now is a good time to look into that as it is an Olympic year.

I'll send a PM, I might need instructions on how to find the file to upload.

Other thing with the Olympics is that pre-qualified might not be able to update their rosters? France qualified but they didn't have Texier on their team.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
20210429201551-1.jpg

All playable for 2000-2001 however they won't be detailed. 8 team play offs for most, my goal was to create enough leagues to ensure player growth is active.

International hockey league should be under Slovenia, not United States :)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
@Beef Cake @xECK29x Yeah I've got a version of a one-league NCAA up and running too - no issues from the size of league standpoint - in fact my NHLX universe has an expanded 80-team league and there are no issues with the size which is great.

I am struggling to re-create the NCAA playoffs as accurately as possible though...I'm afraid a true real-to-life tournament format is going to be impossible. The NCAA does too many little nuanced selection things that I don't believe can be re-created in EHM, from the at-large bids based on rankings to the seeding system to the geographical 4-team opening round pods.

There are two ways to create the league structure in EHM:

1) Make the conference into divisions in a single conference format. The benefit of this is that you can create a 16-team playoff at the end of the season, with division winners receiving auto-bids and the rest of the teams selected with the regular season stage sorted as a single stage based on points. So in essence, you can create a pretty accurate 16-team field. The down sides are that you cannot setup conference championship tournaments and the main league screen becomes a nightmare with the standard sidebar showing the standings as a single huge field (it normally separates by conference).

2) Make the conferences into individual 1-division conferences. This allows you to setup a nice conference tournament championship playoff for each conference and then funnel everything into a league-wide playoff at the end. It also sorts the league screen in a much more pleasing way by conference. What I am struggling with is how to introduce extra teams into the NCAA tournament outside the conference playoff "Cup" winners and how to get this to 16. There are some editor options which may have some promise but I am working through how to use them. Ideally, say you have 6 conference playoff winners - they get bids of course because you can tell the NCAA playoff stage to pick the previous round of Cup Winners. But I need some way for the game to be able to sort the rest of the teams by regular season points and pick the additional teams, ignoring the Cup Winners - to be added. There aren't that many options available for a stage to select from a previous stage...you can add one additional stage but you can't change the selection criteria from what I see.

But basing on Option 2 above, here are some early looks. I'm still working on a schedule template that incorporates a slate of non-conference games for every club at the beginning of the year and maybe some mid-season "tournaments" like the Beanpot

AMuiu9e.png

w9zpWcC.png

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Started a new sim with 1.5 beta and it seems like I am stuck on June25th, 2021? anyone else having the issue, I have 10 leagues selected, even though with the beta you can load them all now?

help!

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Tracey stayed on Anaheim in my save. Bunch of players got released throughout the first year, but none made it back to the NHL.

Erne is actually pretty decent in my save. 3 seasons in, he has an average rating of 7.02. He had a 20 goals season too.
Riikola left for Europe after his contract was up.
Jarnkrok was a 40+ points player in his first two seasons.
Aube-Kubel was pretty good in his first 2 seasons then I think he became the spare forward.

Biggest names traded in my save (2020-2023) were Radulov, O'Reilly, Puljujarvi, McDonagh, Patrick Kane, Brayden Schenn and Nyquist.

HM: Pius Suter, Kylington, Nic Robertson, Dermott, Justin Schultz, Adam Larsson, Dylan Strome, Roslovic and Kessel.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Started a new sim with 1.5 beta and it seems like I am stuck on June25th, 2021? anyone else having the issue, I have 10 leagues selected, even though with the beta you can load them all now?

help!

Do you have the latest DB? Try unsubscribing and subscribing again.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

help!

Unsub and resub to the database, this was fixed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad