Eastside Hockey Manager - Part X Patch 1.5 Edition! (April 22nd Open Beta)

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
What's more likely, Buffalo winning the Cup next season or we see 1.5 released this year ?

Given the amount of time we are waiting for 1.5, I like Buffalo chances.

Reactions: Matt UK
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
What's more likely, Buffalo winning the Cup next season or we see 1.5 released this year ?

Given the amount of time we are waiting for 1.5, I like Buffalo chances.

Not to sound harsh, but 1.5 has made significant progress within the past several months. There is no timetable, but I can personally guarantee you that it is being worked on constantly.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Not to sound harsh, but 1.5 has made significant progress within the past several months. There is no timetable, but I can personally guarantee you that it is being worked on constantly.

So is the list of changes bigger than provisional one Riz published last May ?

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
I know I need to finish off version 1 of the Jersey Generator, but I've been busy on making life easier when editing playable league structures in the Editor. Version 0.5.2 released last weekend includes a "Status" page which flags various potential errors in the structure which should hopefully help identify commonly made mistakes (see the second screenshot below). I'm adding some additional validation rules for version 0.5.3.

Something I'm grappling with at the moment is adding a page to show a structure chart based on the playable league. I've got an early version up and running (see screenshot below) but it needs some more finessing. The current form of the chart is framed on a timeline with each stage being represented by a box which stretches along the horizontal axis according to that stage's start and end date. The boxes are coloured blue (for initial stages), green (for upper stages - e.g. playoffs) and red (for lower stages - e.g. playouts). Lines run from one box to another to show how the stages are triggered, but this needs a bit more work.

I don't think the chart in its present form really shows enough information. I think it needs to include details of the number of teams moving from one stage to the next, the names of the stages and the dates of the stages. I don't think there is really enough room on the current chart to include all of this information, so I'm going to try removing the timeline style (i.e. with variable widths) and instead just have each stage as a larger square box in order to include text.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Yes - the list published by Riz last May just showed the position last May. He has continued to do a lot of work on the patch since then.

Any improvements in stats/history department ? I would like to see my top 10 scorers of all time, not just one as it is now.

Reactions: DieselPig

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A neat trick I picked up when playing a game with Seattle: teams are very willing to trade great players who make a lot of money for not that expensive of a cost.

I can't remember the exact trades, but I acquired McAvoy (Khudobin and a prospect I acquired for Burns as the main pieces), Hischier (Toews as the main piece) and Keller (I think Dermott as the main piece), all of which were guys with 180 PA or higher, with just using the guys given in the ECK Database for Seattle. I'm going to use my high 1st to trade for Matthew Tkachuk at the draft as well, because the 2021 draft sucks in my DB and has no one above a 170 PA. My team sucks because it's literally only McAvoy, Hischier, Keller, Merzlikins (acquired with using Cirelli as the main piece when he was put on the block by Tampa Bay) and a 145 CA RWer from the KHL (can't remember his name right now), but I feel like I'm set up super well going forward.

It's not specific with this database but you can game the computer GMs pretty easily here. They seem to really put a high value on under 25 NHL players, even if their PAs aren't very high, so you could easily get a 165 PA prospect for a 135 CA and 145 PA 23 year old NHLer. I think the teams I traded with valued all of Barbyashov, Puljujarvi and Batherson (acquired for Capobianco) as 4 star players despite only having about a 140 PA.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I wish there was a feature in version 1.5 that included a sort of "franchise tag" or "franchise player" feature, teams could label up to 3 players as "franchise" and the A.I would do everything in there power to keep said players.

it's really personally disappointing constantly seeing Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/McDavid level players leave there teams when in real life there is no indication those players will.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I wish there was a feature in version 1.5 that included a sort of "franchise tag" or "franchise player" feature, teams could label up to 3 players as "franchise" and the A.I would do everything in there power to keep said players.

it's really personally disappointing constantly seeing Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/McDavid level players leave there teams when in real life there is no indication those players will.

up the salary cap. Very rarely does Crosby leave the penguins in my save. McDavid sometimes leaves and he always ends up on Nashville for whatever reason lol.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
up the salary cap. Very rarely does Crosby leave the penguins in my save. McDavid sometimes leaves and he always ends up on Nashville for whatever reason lol.

in my last save I had the cap set at 95M. Ovechkin left Washington for L.A. in 2020, Crosby left Pittsburgh for San Jose in 2025, and McDavid left Edmonton for Dallas in 2026. also in that save Malkin left Pittsburgh for Columbus (LOL) in 2022, and in my current one he just signed as a free agent in 2022 with Calgary. The Penguins gave Bryan Rust 7.35M for 4 years after he had 66 and 59 point seasons in 2021 and 2022.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think the problem is when the player has their favorite team as their current team. The game somehow views that as a negative, where players are willing to negotiate extensions if they're not listed as favorites but they won't negotiate if their current club is listed as a favorite club. I've run into that problem a couple of times myself. I remember acquiring Hall and him coming to have the team be one of his favorites, but whenever it came time for me to extend him, I only got the message of "Taylor Hall doesn't think the team can meet his demands" and never was willing to negotiate.

The favorite/disliked clubs factor in this game makes some things really wonky with trades. If a player dislikes playing for a team, teams will trade them for literally nothing. I can't even begin to count how many times I traded for a 180 PA Puljujarvi because Edmonton was willing to give him up for nothing :laugh:

What's funny is that the 1997 database has a collection of quite a few players who fall in that "dislike" category, so you can get them for cheap. Your team still sucks, but you can acquire a ton of players for cheap who dislike their current teams. Off the top of my head, there's Carter, Poti, Primeau, Brunette, Malhotra, Berard, McLaren and Salo who all fall in this category. I've actually kinda ruined the 1997 database for myself because it's just so easy to make your team insane in that DB. All you have to do is:

1. Trade for all of the players who dislike their current teams
2. Sign Rafalski, Visnovski and Hlavac in free agency
3. Trade Primeau for one of Gagne, Richards, Luongo or Kipprusoff

Last edited:

ImActuallyAnOtter

Mar 3, 2019

One of the "issues" (if you want to call it that) is that salary cap is counted in the playoffs in EHM whereas it isn't IRL.

It's not really possible for EHM to replicate all the cap circumvention that goes on IRL.

I could write a whole essay on what needs to change in EHM salary cap control...

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
One of the "issues" (if you want to call it that) is that salary cap is counted in the playoffs in EHM whereas it isn't IRL.

It's not really possible for EHM to replicate all the cap circumvention that goes on IRL.

I could write a whole essay on what needs to change in EHM salary cap control...

i don’t think the salary cap is counted in the playoffs, there’s no roster limit in the playoffs with EHM. I’ve been well over by calling up a bunch of guys to have depth.
but yes EHM needs a bit of an overhaul

ImActuallyAnOtter

Mar 3, 2019
i don’t think the salary cap is counted in the playoffs, there’s no roster limit in the playoffs with EHM. I’ve been well over by calling up a bunch of guys to have depth.
but yes EHM needs a bit of an overhaul

It does - EHM counts cap until the end of "Week 30", which normally is somewhere at the start of R2 of the Playoffs.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
It does - EHM counts cap until the end of "Week 30", which normally is somewhere at the start of R2 of the Playoffs.

That can be changed via transfer rules, ping me what the changes should be.

Nevermind I'm thinking offseason limit dates.

Oh and good chance for a Pivot release tonight, may not get to TBL until tomorrow as it's a little more involved.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
@xECK29x or any other beta testers - can you shed any light on how 1.5 is handling the NCAA and the path of development for NCAA prospects (midget/HS/prep/US juniors to college) route?

Or I guess I should say - *is* the patch making a real difference in this part of the sim? IIRC was on the "improvements" list. But as I am molding some customization in NHLX, I still find myself extremely frustrated with how the sim handles the NCAA after the real prospect commits run out and of course, the age old problem of getting certain prospects to commit to a college even when that is their preference but they end up just sitting in the USHL or wherever until they are signed by their NHL team.

Knowing that the NCAA was never intended to be playable in the first place and that I originally kind of hacked together that setup back in the day - can anybody say for certain that the patch is upgrading this experience?

Reactions: francis246

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
@xECK29x or any other beta testers - can you shed any light on how 1.5 is handling the NCAA and the path of development for NCAA prospects (midget/HS/prep/US juniors to college) route?

Or I guess I should say - *is* the patch making a real difference in this part of the sim? IIRC was on the "improvements" list. But as I am molding some customization in NHLX, I still find myself extremely frustrated with how the sim handles the NCAA after the real prospect commits run out and of course, the age old problem of getting certain prospects to commit to a college even when that is their preference but they end up just sitting in the USHL or wherever until they are signed by their NHL team.

Knowing that the NCAA was never intended to be playable in the first place and that I originally kind of hacked together that setup back in the day - can anybody say for certain that the patch is upgrading this experience?

There are some things fixed but it's still not great, being those clubs have to be classified as Amateur I think the sim doesn't handle them well.

Edit: one thing I will say is overall development paths are improved, as long as the database is properly staggering reputations properly, you will see players move from U15 -> 16 ->18 -> junior.

Also no more pooling of players in US-HS, they finally move on "- Improved placement and career paths of young players in the US junior/high school leagues"

Last edited:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
v5.6 of Pivot posted - Post NHL Trade Deadline release

Thanks for the patience everyone!

- You may get a warning message about an invalid loan transfer (TRANSFER_MANAGER::setup_free_transfer() : staff has loan contract) on August 1st (if you start after this date you will not have this problem). This can be safely passed by clicking OK, we are trying to find the entry (or entries) that are causing this.

General Updates:
- Latest notable transactions world-wide
-- Due to game crashes in game version 1.4.1 I am unable to put in NHL ELCs beginning in the 2021 season via FUTURE_TRANSFERS in the extra_config.cfg file, these will be added when game version 1.5 is released
- Fill-in generator re-ran against the database to fill in attribute values (based on prospect generator) -- thanks ImActuallyAnOtter!!
- Further changes to roles to remove extreme or improper values vs player type (ex: heavily defensive sniper)

NHL Updates:
- Increased NHL salary cap to 91.5, left floor at 60.2 to accommodate for deadline acquisitions
- Latest transactions and started re-rates:
-- Organizational re-rates (players + unsigned prospects) based on this years performance: Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Florida, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Toronto -- thanks to those who provided feedback!!
- Updated scouts across several organizations
- Updated/added players for 2021 Entry Draft Class
- Updated several longer-term injuries
- Lowered Natural Fitness for some 30+ year old players to ensure aging speeds up

European Updates:
- Started processing free agency transfers/releases
- Updated Norwegian, German and Slovakian UFAs -- thanks Matee!!

Canadian Updates:
- Completed updates for OHL players and prospects, also updated player rights:
-- Oshawa -> Peterborough completed
- Cleaned up Amateur/Semi-Pro leagues
- Updated ~300 Canadian UFA players/staff (mainly retirements) -- thanks Matee!!
- Start removal of CHL league rights for players already playing in the NCAA

Norwegian Updates:
- Updated UFA players/staff -- thanks Matee!!

Swedish Updates:
- Updated heights/weights in all players on SHL, Allsvenskan, HockeyEttan and J20 Nationell

Russian Updates:
- Updated NMHL players -- thanks Matee!!
- Updated heights/weights for VHL and MHL players

Scottish Updates:
- Updated SNL players and staff -- thanks ChaiTiefling!!

Swedish Updates:
- Updated ~450 UFA players/staff -- thanks Matee!!

United Kingdom Updates:
- Updated rosters and staff for EIHL Series and NIHL Spring Cup teams -- thanks ChaiTiefling!!

United States Updates:
- Reduced reputations of small colleges
- Increased contracted amount and reserve list size for NCAA teams
- Updated NCAA players who have entered into the transfer portal (changing schools)
- Started checking for USHL rights for players already playing in the NCAA where applicable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->